What are those "Odd" things some of us would never think to bring?

dis2cruise

Totally forgot! Last cruise we packed all the oldest rattiest holey underwear and at cruise end it all went in the trash can making room for purchases along the way. I even bought a pair of dress shoes for $4.95 at a discount shoe store (and with daughter-in-law's 50% store manager discount) and left them with note for cabin attendant to see if someone could use them - only worn 3 formal nights. We packed many items with intention of jettisoning them - and did!

I'm guilty of the underwear disposal system too ;) I'm a little worried since our next trip is going to be 16 days... wont have any undies by the time I come home LOL

I attempted to throw out a pair of bedazzled flip flops one cruise that rubbed the tops of my feet raw but every day I put them in the garbage my stateroom attendant just kept pulling them out and putting them back in the closet!! Finally had to ditch them in the garbage on the pool deck!

I attempted to throw out a pair of bedazzled flip flops one cruise that rubbed the tops of my feet raw but every day I put them in the garbage my stateroom attendant just kept pulling them out and putting them back in the closet!! Finally had to ditch them in the garbage on the pool deck!

That could have been intentional. The refuse process is a closed system and they have to separate a lot of stuff - some to burn, other to recycle. He may have considered those an item that should not be processed. Not saying this is fact, but I had a similar experience some time ago on the Grandeur and one of the officer explained it to me in terms far above my head. :o

down pillow

high absorbancy towel for my hair

shampoo/hair conditioner

two sided tape for a quick fix in case a hem become undone

wrinkle guard. It really works!

I always make sure to put some extra clothing and one bathing suit in my husband's suitcase in case mine gets lost. :eek:

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Lots of great ideas, many we've already adopted!

Probably the oddest thing we pack is a roll or two (different colors) of "Flagging Tape" that we tie to our luggage for disembarkation. It helps us pick out our bags from among the thousands of others.

We're considering adding one of those uber absorbant towels that we would roll our swimsuits in, to give them a head start on drying.

One other add - if the room safes open with the magnetic strip on a credit card, take a couple old hotel room keys so you don't have to use a credit card.

An have an emergency plan with the family if you don't always stay together - like where to meet. How to know if traveling partners have already headed to muster stations, taken passports, etc.

1. Rubberized shelf liner to prevent things from rolling around or clanking against each other.

2. Ziploc bags to hold souvenirs from each port.

3. Safety pins.

4. Thank-you notes.

5. A spreadsheet with userids and passwords (and also answers to those security questions)

6. Spreadsheet with all of the credit card info for the cards I bring with me

7. A couple of those 9-LED flashlights you can get for about $1-$2 each on ebay

NOTE: Instead of hanging my washing to drip-dry, I ROLL the items in a large towel overnight. The towel absorbs most of the water; drying time is greatly reduced....

A roll of toilet paper or wipes for excursions. All restrooms are not created equal.We were on Excursion in Mexico, at the potty stop I was given one square.:mad: We were in Europe last year.At one stop toilet paper in the ladies restroom was out,. . I had a roll that I shared.:D

I always bring a pop-up laundry basket. Paid about $4 at Walgreens. It folds completely flat, so I put it in the bottom of our luggage. And in our cabin, I keep it in the corner to put dirty clothes in it. After cruise, just throw dirty clothes back in suitcase, along with folded basket again.

I also created a Word document a while back with all my packing lists items I don't want to forget. If I think of something else, or read a good idea on this board, I just add it to my list. Have used this for several cruises and it's a great tool to have.

I always make sure to put some extra clothing and one bathing suit in my husband's suitcase in case mine gets lost. :eek:

I, too, adopted this idea.

Then hubby had to turn round at Venice airport and go back home again leaving me with 2 suitcases and him no clothes. :eek:

My shoes and posh outfits were in his suitcase and there was no way i was letting him take them home with him! :D

I too use wallflowers (at home/business) but they are quite expensive for what they are but Bath and Bodyworks have sales on where you can get one free when you buy so many and such like. Have a look at their website as I think they are on sale just now. A unit plus bulb can cost you circa $20 normally. They also have ones without lights so watch which you get.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

If they're like the wallflowers I'm visualizing from B & B, the oil will run out if they're removed from socket and laid down. They might have another kind with solid. Just know a friend had a mess on her bath cabinet after a cleaning lady took one out and left it on counter.

That stuff really comes in handy when dealing with unruly kids!:D

Totally forgot! Last cruise we packed all the oldest rattiest holey underwear and at cruise end it all went in the trash can making room for purchases along the way. I even bought a pair of dress shoes for $4.95 at a discount shoe store (and with daughter-in-law's 50% store manager discount) and left them with note for cabin attendant to see if someone could use them - only worn 3 formal nights. We packed many items with intention of jettisoning them - and did!

Why not just leave the underwear at home and go "commando style"?:rolleyes:

One other add - if the room safes open with the magnetic strip on a credit card, take a couple old hotel room keys so you don't have to use a credit card.

An have an emergency plan with the family if you don't always stay together - like where to meet. How to know if traveling partners have already headed to muster stations, taken passports, etc.

For the safe, I always use my AAA card. That way I know I have it with me, and can use is for their Show Your Card discounts.

In addition to the standard first aid stuff--aspirin, Imodium, etc.--I never travel without an Ace bandage. I seriously sprained my ankle in Egypt several years ago and was only able to keep going because my travel companion had one that she gave me. Since then, I always carry one. Summer before last, I broke my ankle in Norway, taped it up with the Ace bandage (I thought it was only sprained) and kept going.

I didn't see this mentioned already and it saved a trip for us. If you wear glasses and are completely dependent on them (aka blind as a bat) bring a small glasses repair kit, spare glasses--even your last prescription is better than nothing--and a copy of your prescription.

We have needed all of these over the years.

I didn't see this mentioned already and it saved a trip for us. If you wear glasses and are completely dependent on them (aka blind as a bat) bring a small glasses repair kit, spare glasses--even your last prescription is better than nothing--and a copy of your prescription.

We have needed all of these over the years.

To go along with this - if you're a contact wearer, bring an extra pair of contacts or glasses! I never travel without one or both. I'm pretty much useless without my contacts in and if one were to pop out or get torn, I would be screwed! :eek:

This may sound like a strage item to bring, but I always pack a small stack of paper coffee filters. It is something that I started doing back when my kids were a lot younger. The paper filters are good for putting a handful of cashews in or a small amount of the trail mix that we enjoy having in our cabin and balcony. They are also great for wrapping around a bagel or pastry. For the kids, I used to use them for cookies, chips or for them to use around an ice-cream cone, hot dog or taco. They take up no space and are easy just to toss out when done.

:)

This may sound like a strage item to bring, but I always pack a small stack of paper coffee filters. It is something that I started doing back when my kids were a lot younger. The paper filters are good for putting a handful of cashews in or a small amount of the trail mix that we enjoy having in our cabin and balcony. They are also great for wrapping around a bagel or pastry. For the kids, I used to use them for cookies, chips or for them to use around an ice-cream cone, hot dog or taco. They take up no space and are easy just to toss out when done.

:)

Never thought of coffee filters. I always bring some cupcake liners. Have to try the filters.