Trip Insurance

Sugarbearsmom

For the most part, are people here talking about RCL's cruise care, or a third party insurance? I've never thought twice about paying the, roughly, $180 for the 2 of us to have cruise care... But never really thought about what it covers. What happens if you need to visit the medical facility onboard the ship? DD was dealing with nasty bites, and should have gone, as she is now on antibiotics.

Thanks for this, I had not thought about that. We typically bring a 2 cameras and at least one laptop, and it's nice to know that we're covered.

Bob

The only caveat to this is that the insurance company wanted some sort of documentation that the damage had occurred. Fortunately, I had taken it to the camera shop on board to see what they might be able to do with it, if anything. I had some paperwork from them showing that they had worked on it.

When visiting the medical center on the ship, they do not accept any type of insurance. You must pay the charges up front and turn the bill and all the documents into your medical insurance and after that you should turn in the balance in to your travel insurance. We usually purchase a third party insurance.

Thanks for this, I had not thought about that. We typically bring a 2 cameras and at least one laptop, and it's nice to know that we're covered.

Bob

You may or not be covered -- you have to check the details on your policy. Many insurers do not cover laptops or other types of computers at all. And some place an unreasonable low limit -- as low as $100 -- on cameras. So if you're traveling with expensive cameras/computers be sure you're buying the right plan.

My wife and I have waited 44 years for what could well be our first and only cruise. We could never swing the expense of a catastrophic event during our cruise. The $184 policy means I will sleep better. Get the insurance!:)

We were cruising out of Venice on May 1, 2010, which was right in the middle of the "ash cloud" incident which grounded much of the air traffic over Europe for almost 2 weeks. I usually buy insurance, but for some reason didn't for that trip. The anxiety was terrible, we were glued to the news reports, couldn't sleep, it was awful. Luckily, our flights all took off ontime, although we had to fly over the North Pole to get back to Boston. We learned our lesson then, now we always make sure we have insurance, for the peace of mind if nothing else. You never know what might happen.

My wife and I have waited 44 years for what could well be our first and only cruise. We could never swing the expense of a catastrophic event during our cruise. The $184 policy means I will sleep better. Get the insurance!:)

You are absolutely right.

And I'm sure you will have the holiday of a lifetime!

Paul

Archived