What Are You Reading?

tuggers

For those interested, Linda Scotolaine's new book is due out tomorrow. I think I'll go to Sam's to see if they have it!

I don't have a cruise soming up soon, but I do have a trip and I need a 'plane'

book!

For years I've nee fascinated by Nevada Barr's series. The heroine is a Federal Park ranger, Anna Pigeon. She's a feisty woman, fiercely independent, a romantic and of course she always figures out who dun it! Besides the great character development (Anna is now a 50+), Barr knows the parks. So each setting is impeccably true. Easy read, gripping suspense, romance. What more can you ask for?

Just read Nevada Barr's new one in the Rocky Mountain National Park this weekend. Very exciting but really tough to read in parts. If you like Carl Hiaasen and have kids, be sure to have them read Hoot which is by him and for children. Great book! I love Number 1 Ladies Detective on tape where the woman reading can say all those names so beautifully! Can't wait to read Kite Runner (which is waiting for me to be on summer vacation....from teaching reading).

Let's see, the last two books I read were Perri O'Shaughnessy's "Unlucky in Law" (Nina Reilly is a great character in this series), Michael Connelly's "The Narrows" (He's my favorite!), and am now reading John Sandford's "Hidden Prey" (all of the "Prey" books are wonderful).

Give me a good mystery and I'm a happy girl.:D

Garry

"The Quiet Game" by Greg Iles. A cc member introduced me to his books a few months back and I can't get enough. My husband and I rarely read same books, but he is hooked!
I am so glad someone else reads him. I found him about 6 years ago. I needed to get one more free book from Literary Guild or one of those and choose his, I think it was the Quiet Game. Now I wait inpatiently for each new book. There have been a couple that were a little to far out for me, but all in all he has become my favorite author and like your hubby, we usually do not like the same types of books, Greg is an exception. Right now I am reading his latest: Blood Memory, maybe my favorite. NMNita

I am addicted to Elizabeth George. She has a series of murder mysteries that take place in England. The main character is Barbara Havers and she is a hoot!! I love series that follow the same characters throughout, and these characters are very interesting. Happy reading.

I have to second the recommendation about digital books from http://www.audible.com. Just terrific! If you agree to purchase 2 books per month for a year, they will even give you the mp3 player. I actually listen to more than 2 per month since i commute 160 miles per day.

Right now, I am listening to "Across the Nightingale Floor" by Lian Hearn. Beautifully writen novel of ancient Japan (sort of--with overtones of 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' type martial arts). I love to listen to didital books on cruises, laying in the sun, margaita by my side...

Linda

I have to second the recommendation about digital books from http://www.audible.com. Just terrific! If you agree to purchase 2 books per month for a year, they will even give you the mp3 player. I actually listen to more than 2 per month since i commute 160 miles per day.

Right now, I am listening to "Across the Nightingale Floor" by Lian Hearn. Beautifully writen novel of ancient Japan (sort of--with overtones of 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' type martial arts). I love to listen to didital books on cruises, laying in the sun, margaita by my side...

Linda

Linda, first I hope you had no problems with the mud slides that hit Laguna today and secondly, I guess you have a reason, but why do you commute so far each day? It isn't any of my business but I am just curious. NMnita

This thread :D , then perhaps the roll call for our next cruise..........

On a more serious note it is currently accountancy reporting regulations for the Chartered Accountants exam next week........ anyone still awake?

I look forward to getting back to a nice easy John Grisham novel to ease me back into the 'normal' world.

I was scheduled for the June 3rd sailing and rebooked for June 17th. I did get a full refund, but that is it. I had to by for the whole air and what a joke. The cruise line credited me twice they did not know what the hell they were doing. At least I got my documents. Dio yoiu knwo if the June 10th is firm sailing date? I feel that Celebrtity owes me more. I so diappointed when they cancelled, it was my birthday. I hope they will shine and make me what to sail with them again. :) :mad:

I think all people on the left coast drive extraordinary lengths to get to work! My friend who just moved from San Diego drove like 60 miles each way. Unheard of in my neck of the woods, but pretty common out there!

Gail

ps They're all a little NUTS out there! LOL!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.

So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Drink lots of wine and martinis

99% Mark Twain, 1% CINDON

I seldom think Mark Twain can be approved upon, but by george, I think you've done it Cindon!!!

My mouth is watering just thinking of the martinis I'm going to be sipping in 18 days!!! :D

Nita, thanks for your concern. The evacuation area was a couple of blocks away, but we are on the other side of the hill from the landslide. Luckily, though we are on a steep hill, bedrock is close to the surface in our area, so our house has concrete caissons (pillars) that are 8 feet into bedrock. We are not supported by the dirt hillside--if we get a landslide, we should still be fine. Earthquakes might be another story, but let's not borrow trouble.

As for my commute, as Gail said, all of us left coasters are a little whacky. Before I was in San diego, i worked in our LA office, though most of my commuting there was by train. I can still take the train some days, but my schedule is making that less of an option. As of 7/1, my company is getting me a studio so that i can stay down here midweek. As for why i have not moved, bottom line, i LOVE living in Laguna!!

As fopr books, if you like complex fantasy series, try any of Robin Hobbs books. Just mesmerizing.

Linda

I guess I am a little unusual in that I love to read nonfiction. I just finished a terrific book called "Under and Alone" by William Queen. He is an ATF agent who infiltrated the Mongols motorcycle gang. His story was terrifying and amazing. It always moves me when I think of those who risk their lives to protect the rest of us and we don't even know it! I am also reading "Coming Into the Country" in preparation for our August Alaska cruise on the Summit!

I am currently on the 10th book of the 22 book series by Bernard Cornwell about British rifleman Richard Sharpe..."Sharpe's Escape". I bought the entire series as one, and am reading them in chronological order. Several years ago, I read the 14-book "Jack Aubrey/Stephen Maturin" series by Patrick O'Brien, and a few years before that, the 10-book "Horatio Hornblower" series by C.S. Forester.

Also on my reading list as soon as I finish the Sharpe series (I've bought them but haven't gotten to them yet):

Brian Haig's "the President's Assassin"

Jay Feldman's "When the Mississippi Ran Backwards: Empire, Intrigue, Murder, and the New Madrid Earthquakes"

David McCullogh's "1776"

The Innocent has been out for awhile. I've already read it. I love Harlan Coben and the Innocent is one of his best. I didn't guess anything until the end...... nothing beats Harlan Coben!!!

My Harlan story:

About five or six years ago, I ran across ten copies of Harlan's first book "Play Dead". The books were on a bargain table and were 49 cents each, so I bought all ten. I read it and enjoyed it a lot, and then started selling the duplicates on eBay. I was describing the book as a 1993 first edition original paperback. I received an e-mail from someone saying he was Harlan Coben stating that the book had originally been published in 1990 in England as a hardback, and then reissued in America in 1993 by Shapolsky Publishers as a paperback. Since the screen/name on the e-mail had nothing to do with Harlan Coben, I sent an e-mail back thanking him for the information, and jokingly asking if he were the real Harlan, or just a wannabe. I told him I didn't know whether to be offended by an imposter or to swoon at his responding to my e-mail. He told me to "swoon" and explained the meaning of the "different" screen-name and asked me to visit his website. We probably exchanged three or four more e-mails before it sort of fizzled out. He's a busy man, writing about a book a year.

One of the people who bought the paperback from me on eBay lives in Harlan's hometown (Riverside, New Jersey, if I remember correctly) and each year since then she has had him autograph his new book for me. The first one was signed, "To Allen: Feel free to swoon."

He's a really down-to-earth person and was very friendly and has a great sense of humor. He signs his e-mails "H".

I may have a few more of the "Play Dead" paperbacks in a box somewhere. If so, I'll put them on eBay in the next few months. If you're interested, check eBay from time to time. "Play Dead" predates all of the Myron Bolitar mysteries, yet has elements of Myron and Win and a plot-line which is seen in varying forms in a couple other of his books.

Anyway, Harlan Coben is great reading, as are Michael Connely, who has a new Harry Bosch mystery out (The Closers), and James W. Hall, and T. Jefferson Parker, and Robert Crais (especially the Elvis Cole mysteries) and the Lawrence Sanders "Archy McNally" series, and Lawrence Block (especially his light-hearted "The Burglar Who....." series), and Ed McBain's Matthew Hope series.... and James Lee Burke (especially the Dave Robicheaux series), and all of the Jonathan Kellerman books, and the Dennis Lehane books (especially the Kenzie/Gennaro series), Robert Ferrigno and almost any of the Elmore Leonard books.

Allen

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up the new Scottolaine book. Lee Childs has 'One Shot' put this coming week.

Just something I don't know and some of you may: Why does James Patterson have all these co-authors? What's the deal with that?

• 2 weeks later...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like to bring one epic book and this one is so wonderful it has it all

Edmund Fuller review says " were Miss Kaye to produced no other book The Far Pavilions might stand as a lasting accomplishment in a single work comparable to Margaret Mitchell's achievement in Gone with the wind it is about a man you was raised as an native of India during the 1800's only to find out his parents are really English so he thinks in two worlds, it has a great love story, history, palace intrigue, murder, and just every satisfying thing in a book

Enjoy

Plumeria

Summit Jan 2 2006

I, like Captain1, only read non-fiction. I used to be a fiction reader, but the "truth is stranger than fiction" thing is true.

I just finished "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" about the hiker who caught his arm in a canyon on a solo hike and had to amputate himself out. It was suspenseful! If you liked INTO THIN AIR, you'll like this book, too.

On my last cruise I read "Stolen Lives" (20 years in a desert jail) and "Bringing Down the House" (MIT students card counting in Vegas).

I also recommend these non-fiction favorites of mine:

Seabiscuit (Didn't see the movie, the book was too good)

A Civil Action (Again, didn't see the movie)

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius--20-something cares for his younger brother after death of parents.

On A Street Called Easy in a Cottage Called Joye--2 New Yorkers renovate a southern mansion. Great if you liked Midnight in the Garden...

The Mormon Murders--1970s Salt Lake City bombing and document fraud.

I'd be interested to hear about other non-fiction favorites.

Archived