What Are You Reading?

tuggers

Thanks, Lizcourt - I appreciate the help & need all of it I can get;)

Another favorite are Patricia Cornwell novels - with Kay Scarpetta as the lead character.

Also love the James Herriot series "All Creatures Great & Small" - I'll even reread them every 5 years or so. (It also used to be a tv series on PBS in the late '80s)

John McCormack also writes great animal/vet stories, "Fields and Pastures" and "A Friend of the Flock".

Some favorites of mine I've read on past cruises, that some of you may like:

C.S. Forester - "Horatio Hornblower"...a 10-book series following an English midshipman around the turn of the 19th century as he ascends to higher ranks. A wonderful and fun series, and the nautical theme is fun when onboard the ships, especially if you're itinerary takes you to some of the places mentioned in the books (Europe, Caribbean, Mediterranean, and African cruises all contain stops mentioned in the books).

Patrick O'Brian - "Aubrey-Maturin series" - a 14-book or so series...a successor to the Hornblower series. Written more recently, but covering the same period of time, these books follow Captain Aubrey and spy Dr. Maturin all over the world. The movie "Master and Commander" was from this book series.

Bernard Cornwell - "Sharpe's Adventures" - a 22-book series (and possibly still growing) about a British rifleman - the land-based version of the Hornblower and Aubrey books. Excellent series and great characters.

Joe Weber - this author writes fiction adventure/intrigue books usually involving military response, political intrigue, and world crisis. He has several recurring characters including an air force pilot and a CIA operative. Fun books, fast reads. The latest, Assured Response, was released last year.

Brian Haig - this author writes military/legal thrillers, following one particular military lawyer once a member of a very secret black ops forces, and now defending those operatives. Lots of adventure, action, thrills, and fun writing style...very fast reads and quite entertaining. The most recent book debuted about 4 months ago...I believe he's written 5 to date.

I am also a Clive Cussler fan - I always can not wait for his next book to come out - I even enjoy them if they are not the Dirk Pitt characters. I also read James Patterson, John Grisham & Janet Evanovich. Now I can't wait for the next Harry Potter book to be delivered mid-July. (ps - wouldn't want to bring that book on a cruise - would put me over the weight limit)

Oh my goodness, another Harry fan? I just was talking to my better half and said "Half, you know I never see anyone recommend the Harry Potter books on CC" I am a major fan and also have two copies on the Amazon list.

Also read Evanovitch, Carl Haissen, other "gumshoe" type books and am currently reading Rage by Jonathan Kellerman.

I just recently got hooked on Harry Potter - a girl I work with starting giving me the series a couple of months before the last release & I think I read them in no time. I also like reading any type of mystery books too.

Pat

I went down to our nearby outlet mall today to the Book Warehouse. I love these stores because you can buy hardbacks (used and mostly gently used former library books) for $5.99 which is cheaper than a lot of paperbacks. I just happen to love the feel of a hardback.

Anyway, I picked up a Juilie Smith mystery, Patterson's Third Women's Detective Club book and an Evonavich I hadn't read.

Pretty good haul for less than $20!

I just finished tonight the third and final novel of the civil war battles by Newt Gingrich. All I can say is WOW! ! ! ! !

Book one is Gettysburg followed by Grant Comes East and finally Never Call Retreat. Violent combat interspersed with extreme kindnesses by both sides. It's hard to keep in mind that this a fiction. Highly recommended reading.

books I've read years ago but still are favorites:

Dangerous Fortune by Ken Follett

If Tomorrow Comes by Sidney Sheldon

e by Matthew Beaumont

"e" is a little known book but absolutely worth the read. It's story is told through e-mails of an advertising company - hilarious! Sort of like a modern day game of Telephone :D Very, very quick read.

C.S. Forester - "Horatio Hornblower"...a 10-book series following an English midshipman around the turn of the 19th century as he ascends to higher ranks. A wonderful and fun series, and the nautical theme is fun when onboard the ships, especially if you're itinerary takes you to some of the places mentioned in the books (Europe, Caribbean, Mediterranean, and African cruises all contain stops mentioned in the books).

I love the DVDs of Horatio Hornblower are the books just as good?

Plumeria

If I Were Not Upon the Sea (Under the Captain's Table), by Joyce Gleeson-Adamidis

Forgot about this one earlier, but I thought it very interesting. Joyce Gleeson-Adamidis was a Cruise Director before she married her husband who was the Captain of the Infinity, I believe. It paints an insider's picture of life at sea and lets us see how some of the staff sees us.

Does anyone know if her (Joyce Adamidis) books are still sold in the gift shops on the ships? My library at home does not have it and the bookstores I've checked can't get it either. I've searched the internet and did find an old copy for over $30!!:eek:

Thanks for any help! :) Deb C.

Does anyone know if her (Joyce Adamidis) books are still sold in the gift shops on the ships? My library at home does not have it and the bookstores I've checked can't get it either. I've searched the internet and did find an old copy for over $30!!:eek:

Thanks for any help! :) Deb C.

Thirty dollars is pretty steep. We got our copy while aboard the Infinity in 2002. Inside the front cover is this website address that may help:

http://www.geocities.com/uponthesea/index.html

Her email is listed as uponthesea(at)yahoo.com

Susan

Finally some more Harry Potter fans. Can't wait until next Saturday. I got hooked when I decided to read the one my son had to buy for an english report on why it had become so popular. That was his senior year in high school and he has since finished college and is now a band director. Oh well, as they say, time flies when you're having fun.:D

• 2 weeks later...

I love the DVDs of Horatio Hornblower are the books just as good?

Plumeria

In my humble opinion...much better! Not that I didn't thoroughly enjoy the movie versions...I have the DVD of the first set of 4 as well as the 2 additional later movies. The movies were very well done, but the books are so much more descriptive of the characters and the settings that you can live out the movies yourself.

Not to mention, the book series goes much deeper into those first 6 episodes you saw in the movies, and extends far beyond, to Horblower's ascension to Admiral! Very gripping, enjoyable, and easy reads. Having seen the films, you'll already be tying faces to the characters in the book.

Also, the Aubrey/Maturin series is every bit as good, incredibly well written, and a little deeper into period phraseology, nautical terminology, and accuracy. Hornblower was written well more than half a century ago, while the Aubrey series was within the past decade. O'Brien is considered by many to be the spiritual successor to Forrester. I'd recommend both series!

Also, the Aubrey/Maturin series is every bit as good, incredibly well written, and a little deeper into period phraseology, nautical terminology, and accuracy. Hornblower was written well more than half a century ago, while the Aubrey series was within the past decade. O'Brien is considered by many to be the spiritual successor to Forrester. I'd recommend both series!

I'd like to echo that. O'Brian somehow makes a three day sea battle a breathless experience to read. I don't know how he does it, but he does it repeatedly. He's another author who died too young.

Definitely a worthy Forrester successor!

Three weeks with my brother, by Nicolas Sparks is quite good on audio, for those not technically challenged. It is non-fiction, unlike most of his titles, but explains, at least to some degree, how/when he wrote his other books.

Margie - I love the Janet Evanovich books. I've read all of her Stephanie Plum series except the lastest that just came out, i'm going to pick it up soon.

I love her antics. They're definitely Laugh out Loud books.

I just started listening to the new Stephanie Plum book, Eleven on Top, today and so far it's the Stephanie we love. :)

I just finished that one, I love all her books and I think this one is my favorite of them all. Not many books make me laugh out loud, but the Stephanie Plum books do.

Terri

Glad this thread got resurrected! I love to hear about the books others are reading. As you can guess from my posts, I am a die hard mystery fan. Any ideas for me would be appreciated!

Gail - Have you read any of Catherine Coulter's FBI series? I've only recently started on them and really like them. Main characters are a married couple who are FBI agents.

Terri

Glad this thread got resurrected! I love to hear about the books others are reading. As you can guess from my posts, I am a die hard mystery fan. Any ideas for me would be appreciated!

Have you read any Marcia Muller? I just discovered her and her private investigator, Sharon McCone, who has been around since 1977.

Also, for LOL, Cruising for Murder by Sussman & someone else who's name I can't remember. A New York actress takes a job on cruise ship and encounters murder and mayhem, of course. (Don't we all? ;) )

Archived