Zuiderdam heads for drydock

bobpell

I was on the first cruise since the dry dock ending Friday Dec 21st. I will report on the "Cruise From Hell". Yep, the worst cruise I was ever on.

I arrived at the FLL port at 10AM thinking I could get on by 11 or 1130. Because it was late getting out of dry dock, we were placed in a large room, given numbers and waited. I finally got on at 1PM. They did not ever offer water.

After getting on, I wanted to drop off the carry on luggage, wrong, all hallways locked so I went to eat. After lunch, was able to go to the stateroom #5008. I was surprised to find my luggage there. First good thing. While unpacking, I heard a thumping noise. It lasted for 45 minutes and gave me a headache.

The next day, I decided to rest at 4PM after a day at the private island in the Bahamas. I got to my room and felt I was on the showroom floor although I was 2 floors above the stage. The floor shook I called the front desk to complain. They sent someone up and he verified it was extremely noisy and should not be that way. 15 minutes later I received a call saying they were investigate the source; it could not be the showroom since nothing was scheduled. I went to investigate and confirmed it was the showroom and told the front desk. Nothing done. At 1215AM I was awakened by the music. I told them to shut it down. Another person came to confirm the noise.

That day I went to the front desk. They told me they would send an email to the event manager. I asked for the Hotel Manager and got a front desk supervisor. Told him I will move! He said there were no empty cabins but one might appear later that day. He came up at 1015PM to confirm the noise was real. He was the fifth person. They found a cabin one floor down and on the other side. Remarkably, there was less noise and the floor did not shake.

No, not finished yet. At 7AM, while on the way to Aruba, the captain said we lost power and were using the backup generator. Got power back after 30 minutes. Later that day there was an announcement of a fire in the engine room. Later that week we had a fire again.

Toilet in the new room did not work all the time; had to keep trying to flush for 10 minutes. No hot water for 3 mornings. Constantly ran out of silver, cups and glasses in the buffet for breakfast and lunch.

If they just replaced the carpets, they did not look it.

There were too many other things that went wrong.

Never again.

I was on the first cruise since the dry dock ending Friday Dec 21st. I will report on the "Cruise From Hell". Yep, the worst cruise I was ever on.

I arrived at the FLL port at 10AM thinking I could get on by 11 or 1130. Because it was late getting out of dry dock, we were placed in a large room, given numbers and waited. I finally got on at 1PM. They did not ever offer water.

After getting on, I wanted to drop off the carry on luggage, wrong, all hallways locked so I went to eat. After lunch, was able to go to the stateroom #5008. I was surprised to find my luggage there. First good thing. While unpacking, I heard a thumping noise. It lasted for 45 minutes and gave me a headache.

The next day, I decided to rest at 4PM after a day at the private island in the Bahamas. I got to my room and felt I was on the showroom floor although I was 2 floors above the stage. The floor shook I called the front desk to complain. They sent someone up and he verified it was extremely noisy and should not be that way. 15 minutes later I received a call saying they were investigate the source; it could not be the showroom since nothing was scheduled. I went to investigate and confirmed it was the showroom and told the front desk. Nothing done. At 1215AM I was awakened by the music. I told them to shut it down. Another person came to confirm the noise.

That day I went to the front desk. They told me they would send an email to the event manager. I asked for the Hotel Manager and got a front desk supervisor. Told him I will move! He said there were no empty cabins but one might appear later that day. He came up at 1015PM to confirm the noise was real. He was the fifth person. They found a cabin one floor down and on the other side. Remarkably, there was less noise and the floor did not shake.

No, not finished yet. At 7AM, while on the way to Aruba, the captain said we lost power and were using the backup generator. Got power back after 30 minutes. Later that day there was an announcement of a fire in the engine room. Later that week we had a fire again.

Toilet in the new room did not work all the time; had to keep trying to flush for 10 minutes. No hot water for 3 mornings. Constantly ran out of silver, cups and glasses in the buffet for breakfast and lunch.

If they just replaced the carpets, they did not look it.

There were too many other things that went wrong.

Never again.

Oh goodness, doesn't sound good at all. Such a shame and I'm sorry you had so much trouble. We are supposed to be on her in April for 22 nights and I've been watching the issues with this particular ship for a long time now...final payment for us is the end of January so it will be decision time just before then if we go or not. Will keep watching for other posts too-thanks for taking the time to state your opinion.

Archived