No Escargot on Liberty and a few other problems.

We have just finished a four day cruise on Liberty and despite Royal's announcement in conjunction with the new menus that escargot would be available in the dining room every night; they were conpicuous by their absence.

We were given a variety of excuses by the table waiters and the head waiter ranging from the fact that there was a world shortage to "that they forgot to load them on board". What the real reason was I did not find out but I doubt the world shortage excuse as I just left Publix and could have bought a dozen cans at the regular price.

They also changed the dates and times of all of the shows, for example they moved Saturday Night Fever from Sunday to Friday totally messing up our dinner reservation at Chops. This was pre-booked around the show dates and times and, of course, could not be rescheduled due to the fact that Chops was fully booked for Friday evening.

Royal constantly encourages you to go ahead and reserve shows and restaurants ahead of time and then completely messes up those reservations by moving show dates and times. I think that we will wait next time or perhaps make several reservations just in case and then cancel the ones we don't use when on board.

So they didnt have escargot, why make a big stink over it. Im sure they had plenty of other great dishes for you to choose from. I do remember reading awhile ago there was an issue so maybe that happened again. It may not have been where you buy from, but where they buy from and the qty they buy.

As far as the shows, sometimes they have to change them due to other circumstances. Im sorry it messed up your Chops Reservation, and personally, I would have went to Chops and bagged the show, but thats just me.

Just as an FYI, I used to work as an Assistant Cruise Director and I can completely understand your frustration concerning the show re-scheduling. However...sometimes there was no way to avoid it. One of the most common reasons is that a person who was scheduled for a certain nights entertainment could have (a) missed the ship or (b) been ill. When that happens, the staff has to try frantically to try to shuffle shows around so that passengers are able to see all scheduled entertainment. Believe me...they DO NOT like to do this as it also can cause difficulties for the cruise staff, chefs, etc. Not to mention the number of people who complain about having to change their plans.

Again, I'm sorry this upset you but those people who work on the ships work their tails off trying to keep the guests happy. Unfortunately, it is next to impossible to please all of the people all of the time. Other than that (and the lack of escargot), I hope that, otherwise, you had a nice vacation!

So they didnt have escargot, why make a big stink over it.

Stink? I sure didn't read it that way. In my mind, the OP does point out how frequently when something occurs, many employees offer answers, whether they are right or not.

We were on the same cruise and our Maitre-D said that it was a supplier problem. RCI is searching for a new supplier to get the snails from. I was not happy with the new menu and the food was just OK, I was dissappointed that there was no escargot. I hope the menu gets better as they tweek it. The late seating dining room was 1/2 empty every night and all I can speculate is that people are using the specialty restaurants, windjammer and mytime dining rather than traditional dining.

We were on the same cruise and our Maitre-D said that it was a supplier problem. RCI is searching for a new supplier to get the snails from. I was not happy with the new menu and the food was just OK, I was dissappointed that there was no escargot. I hope the menu gets better as they tweek it. The late seating dining room was 1/2 empty every night and all I can speculate is that people are using the specialty restaurants, windjammer and mytime dining rather than traditional dining.

Surprised you weren't happy with the food! My wife and I were on the cruise also and very pleased with the MDR food. Windjammer, not so hot. Park cafe, just ok. But the MDR was great! We wouldn't have been ordering snails so that part didn't bother us.

They also changed the dates and times of all of the shows, for example they moved Saturday Night Fever from Sunday to Friday totally messing up our dinner reservation at Chops. This was pre-booked around the show dates and times and, of course, could not be rescheduled due to the fact that Chops was fully booked for Friday evening.

Royal constantly encourages you to go ahead and reserve shows and restaurants ahead of time and then completely messes up those reservations by moving show dates and times. I think that we will wait next time or perhaps make several reservations just in case and then cancel the ones we don't use when on board.

Just as an FYI, I used to work as an Assistant Cruise Director and I can completely understand your frustration concerning the show re-scheduling. However...sometimes there was no way to avoid it. One of the most common reasons is that a person who was scheduled for a certain nights entertainment could have (a) missed the ship or (b) been ill. When that happens, the staff has to try frantically to try to shuffle shows around so that passengers are able to see all scheduled entertainment. Believe me...they DO NOT like to do this as it also can cause difficulties for the cruise staff, chefs, etc. Not to mention the number of people who complain about having to change their plans.

This same thing happened to me on the Liberty last year and I can say first hand, it is a hassle. When I saw SNF was not being offered on the night I had it reserved, I went to Guest Services to find out what happened and to rearrange by reservations. They swore up and down nothing changed. They blamed it on the on-line reservations being wrong. Even the Cruise Director said the shows weren't changed on our sailing. The snowball effect from that one show led to other problems...dinner reservations, etc.

It's one thing to buy a dozen cans at Publix, it is another to buy 1000 gross (a gross is 144 cans, 12 dozen). The Escargot shortage is nothing new, and has had its ups and downs over the years. Cruise ships consume massive amounts of food of all kinds.

We dine at two French restaurants in the Boca area (Bistro Provence and Le Bistro), and they always have Escargot (GF loves them). However, these restaurants have under 100 seats each, and not everyone orders them.

Now, imagine all these huge ships, and how much of the snails you need to order!

At one time Cunard Line was the largest purchaser of Beluga Caviar in the world. Good luck pulling that one off today!

The shortage is still real, and there are no guarantees as to availability in the amounts cruise ships will need. Availability will fluctuate.

Surprised you weren't happy with the food! My wife and I were on the cruise also and very pleased with the MDR food. Windjammer, not so hot. Park cafe, just ok. But the MDR was great! We wouldn't have been ordering snails so that part didn't bother us.

Since when has LOS had a Park Cafe? I knew nothing of this.

Since when has LOS had a Park Cafe? I knew nothing of this.

Neither Liberty or Legend have a Park Cafe. Legend is scheduled to get one in February. Liberty is not scheduled to get a Park Cafe. Perhaps the other poster meant Cafe Promenade?

It's one thing to buy a dozen cans at Publix, it is another to buy 1000 gross (a gross is 144 cans, 12 dozen). The Escargot shortage is nothing new, and has had its ups and downs over the years. Cruise ships consume massive amounts of food of all kinds.

We dine at two French restaurants in the Boca area (Bistro Provence and Le Bistro), and they always have Escargot (GF loves them). However, these restaurants have under 100 seats each, and not everyone orders them.

Now, imagine all these huge ships, and how much of the snails you need to order!

At one time Cunard Line was the largest purchaser of Beluga Caviar in the world. Good luck pulling that one off today!

The shortage is still real, and there are no guarantees as to availability in the amounts cruise ships will need. Availability will fluctuate.

had it a couple nights on oasis and the scallops as well.

are you guys talking about the escargot in the little tray with garlic and butter that you get about 5 of them in the divets?

nice centurion. no one around here wants to share a 210 once they get one so there are few partnerships on them and I'm stuck with an irritatingly slow skylane.

(I would photoshop out the N number, too much information to give on the internet)

You've been on the boards for 7 years and you call this a big stink? You must have the biggest ignore list ever.

The OP is whinging because there was no Escargot. Just a reminder.....

" We were given a variety of excuses by the table waiters and the head waiter ranging from the fact that there was a world shortage to "that they forgot to load them on board". What the real reason was I did not find out but I doubt the world shortage excuse as I just left Publix and could have bought a dozen cans at the regular price."

I hope you are not a real Dr, because you cant read

Interesting, but irrelevant. I'm sure RCI spent considerable time (and $$) developing their new menus. If their check list didn't include something along the lines of "are all of these products routinely available where our ships sail", then shame on them. When you have a set menu, it's reasonable for passengers to expect EVERYTHING on the menu to be available ALL of the time.

The OP is whinging because there was no Escargot. Just a reminder.....

" We were given a variety of excuses by the table waiters and the head waiter ranging from the fact that there was a world shortage to "that they forgot to load them on board". What the real reason was I did not find out but I doubt the world shortage excuse as I just left Publix and could have bought a dozen cans at the regular price."

I hope you are not a real Dr, because you cant read

I am, and I can, and I stand by my opinion. Try not to be so sensitive. People do disagree.

Archived