Ushuaia - new ideas needed

CheriKM

Need suggestions for our day in Ushuaia. I know we can book a boat trip on the canal, but three hours just sitting on a boat is not quite our cup of tea. Looking to do something more active? I would really appreciate suggestions on how to spend our day. We also don't want to join a large tour group (we're a party of four) driving around all day. Suggestions?

We stopped off here a couple of years ago with no plans made. There are several huts at the port exit that offer boat trips. We booked one on a boat that took around 15-20 people. I think we had to pay cash - but it was pretty cheap - maybe $25 each?? The tour lasted a couple of hours or so. We saw penguins swimming on the way out of port, then stopped by a couple of islands and got really close up to the seals on one island, and cormorants on another - this was due to the size and shape of the boat. We then stopped at another island for a walk and saw some interesting birds and enjoyed an amazing 360 degree view and the mountains that are the backdrop to Ushuaia. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and interesting and she let us sample the herbal tea that you see the Argentinians walking around with in flasks, and gave us a load of history of the area and Argentina. After the trip we walked up the hill to the main street with shops and cafes, and stopped in a bar. It was a lovely relaxing day. After spending several days at sea prior to arriving in Ushuaia we had thought a boat trip would have been the last thing we wanted to do, but it was great to see the wildlife up closer.

Contact Mario Miraglia, (mariomiraglia@hotmail.com) who will take you on a great tour of Ushuaia and Tierra del Fuego national park, including short walks through this beautiful national park. Mario's taxi can seat four people, but may be a squish if they are broad in the beam.

Last March we paid about $140 for the vehicle, far less than the bus trip organised by the cruise line for the same tour.

Mario will provide information and answer questions not just about the national park but about life in Argentina, particularly the challenges of living and raising a family in this isolated corner. He will also suggest restaurants for lunch.

We followed our tour and great king crab lunch at a restaurant overlooking the harbour with a flight from the Ushuaia Aero Club over the straight, national park and the mountains. Fantastic, but the aircraft are tiny four seaters (pilot and three passengers) so you won't fit all four into one plane.

Thanks, I had tried Mario several months ago, but he was booked already. Tierra del Fuego sounds like everyone's favorite, and it looks like a great place to take a hike, the only problem is finding someone to take us there and book. Perhaps when we arrive in port we can find an english speaking taxi driver willing to do a fixed price tour?

I booked a private excursion to Tierra del Fuego using patagoniashorex.com.

Try them out - Jaime is very responsive on email and they get good reviews.

Don't remember the price - to be honest, I was less concerned about dollars, more concerned about getting a private tour easily (booked all my excursions in all ports with them) and quickly.

Nick

• Like 1

Pleased for Mario that he is getting business but sorry you will not have his company. This question has been asked before in this forum, I recall someone recommending "Eduardo", so if you trawl back through the posts you may find other recommendations.

Enjoy your cruise.

We arrive in Ushuaia at 6 p.m. and depart at 2 p.m. the following day. How many hours should we allow for a trip to Tierra del Fuego? We will no doubt need to be back on the ship by 1:15-ish, and I'm not looking to begin my sightseeing at 5 a.m.! Wondering what time I would need to book a tour in the morning in order to do justice to Tierra del Fuego. Is it doable?

Thanks,

Shelley

We stopped off here a couple of years ago with no plans made. There are several huts at the port exit that offer boat trips. We booked one on a boat that took around 15-20 people. I think we had to pay cash - but it was pretty cheap - maybe $25 each?? The tour lasted a couple of hours or so. We saw penguins swimming on the way out of port, then stopped by a couple of islands and got really close up to the seals on one island, and cormorants on another - this was due to the size and shape of the boat. We then stopped at another island for a walk and saw some interesting birds and enjoyed an amazing 360 degree view and the mountains that are the backdrop to Ushuaia. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and interesting and she let us sample the herbal tea that you see the Argentinians walking around with in flasks, and gave us a load of history of the area and Argentina. After the trip we walked up the hill to the main street with shops and cafes, and stopped in a bar. It was a lovely relaxing day. After spending several days at sea prior to arriving in Ushuaia we had thought a boat trip would have been the last thing we wanted to do, but it was great to see the wildlife up closer.

Do you happen to know what boat you booked was it on the cruise ship? Thank you. Can you please email me at rbicknell at cfl dot rr dot com:)

We arrive in Ushuaia at 6 p.m. and depart at 2 p.m. the following day. How many hours should we allow for a trip to Tierra del Fuego? We will no doubt need to be back on the ship by 1:15-ish, and I'm not looking to begin my sightseeing at 5 a.m.! Wondering what time I would need to book a tour in the morning in order to do justice to Tierra del Fuego. Is it doable?

Thanks,

Shelley

The first trip we spent less than 4 hours in the park and the 2nd trip we spent less than 2 hours. If you aren't planning to ride the train, or take a long hike you don't need more than half a day. There are some interesting and beautiful views, some animals you might get lucky enough to see and a museum. There is a sign at the end of the Pan-American Highway for photo ops and a Post Office at the end of the world that for a small fee will stamp your passport, or you can mail some postcards from there. Below are some links to my blog entries of our Ushuaia visits with photos to give you some idea.

http://antarcticaonleboreal2012.blogspot.com/

http://circle-south-america-2008-aboard.blogspot.com/2008/01/day-26-january-29-2008-ushuaia.html

• 6 years later...