How to buy stock in carnival

rockyman935

Not true and sounds like something Cramer would say.

There are times when you should use a market order. For example, you need to close out a position by the end of the day. By all means use a market order or you may be hung out to dry.

What you don't mention is a simple thing to do... check out the spread between the bid and asked prices.

In many cases, it will only be a penny - say 36.78 bid and 36.79 asked. Are you going to fool around for a $1 saving on 100 shares? I think not.

On the other hand, lets say the spread is 20 cents - say 36.78 bid and 36.98 asked. In that case, a limit order would be justified.

You're in dreamland if you think that. When buying, that stock (any stock) could easily be a dollar or more higher than you think you're buying it at, thus you pay more than you wanted.

Try selling. The stock could easily be less by the time the trade gets executed, thus you don't get the price you want.

You use a limit order always to insure you get the stock at the price you want. If you don't, you are guessing what it will be.

So much nonsense on this thread from folks that don't understand investing. Such as, mutual funds are taxable + stocks are not. Garbage, distributions are taxable, and dividends are distributions, in stocks, mutual funds, exchange traded funds + all of the above. Hold the issue in an IRA, distributions mean nothing, in a taxable acct, prepare to pay even if the stock/fund lost 99% of it's value. The only people that make money in the stock market are the ones that understand what they're doin. That's why it called "the game of lesser fools". Do as you wish, but this IS NOT the place to get investment advice. Post a question about cruising + you'll get opinion from many experienced cruisers. Someone gives you bum advice, they'll get called on it. Post a question here about investing + you'll get tons of people tryin to show what they know + proving what they don't know instead. Kinda like askin for investment advice on a playground............wrong venue :rolleyes:.

Not true and sounds like something Cramer would say.

There are times when you should use a market order. For example, you need to close out a position by the end of the day. By all means use a market order or you may be hung out to dry.

Cramer? DA!

Market order to close a position? Hung out to dry. Sure it will sell. Also possible you'll lose a lot of $$$$$$$$$ if the stock tanks at the close.

Cramer? DA!

Market order to close a position? Hung out to dry. Sure it will sell. Also possible you'll lose a lot of $$$$$$$$$ if the stock tanks at the close.

See what I mean.......market orders execute in milliseconds NOT at the end of the day. Mutual fund orders execute at the day's closing price. And it's a "limit order" where you may get hung out to dry. Or, the issue could fall thru your "limit" amount + will not execute unless it returns to that amount. That's why they have "stop loss" and " market limit" orders. ;)

I am sure OP just wants to buy 100 shares of CCL and enjoy the shareholder's benefit. At today's price, 100 shares of CCL is only $3.7k. And you call it $$$$$$$$$$ and worth some investment lectures?

If you buy 100 shares today, the dividend rate based on the price YOU paid is about 2.7%, which is much better than normal savings account insterest rate. For people who bought CCL just for OBC, they will hold the stock for long time. As long as they do not sell, they will not make or loss money no matter what the market price is. They will enjoy dividend and OBCs (on Carnival, Princess, Costa and more). The risk is very slim unless you believe Carnival Corp will go under in near future.

I am sure OP just wants to buy 100 shares of CCL and enjoy the shareholder's benefit. At today's price, 100 shares of CCL is only $3.7k. And you call it $$$$$$$$$$ and worth some investment lectures?

If you buy 100 shares today, the dividend rate based on the price YOU paid is about 2.7%, which is much better than normal savings account insterest rate. For people who bought CCL just for OBC, they will hold the stock for long time. As long as they do not sell, they will not make or loss money no matter what the market price is. They will enjoy dividend and OBCs (on Carnival, Princess, Costa and more). The risk is very slim unless you believe Carnival Corp will go under in near future.

How did someone with common sense get into this discussion ????

Thank you for the sensible post !!!

• Like 1

Yes, you can use it wallpaper your bathroom with it as the shareholders of Enron + Worldcom did with theirs :rolleyes:.

Bottom line, if yah gotta ask how to do it, you AIN'T ready! Anyone can buy stock w/o knowing what they're doin, but that's "gambling" not "investing". ALSO, do a search for investing message boards and post your quiry there. Feel free to include these respones + see their reaction. This place is WONDEFUL for cruise advice. For investment advice, NOT SO GOOD!!! :D

You, my friend are a giant arse. Your advise is anything but! You should "query" arse and see what comes up.

OP: Any stock trading company will do. The top rated at this point are:

optionsXpress

OptionsHouse

TradeKing

Scottrade

Fidelity

ETrade

charlesSchwab

Ameriatrade

Sharebuilder

Firstrade

Good luck!!

Cramer? DA!

What you fail to understand is that Carnival is a stock that is actively traded. The bid/asked will usually be one cent, two at the most. Now let's say, you put in a limit order to buy at 37. But the stock never dips to that and hits 40. For a measly $1 saving, you have lost out on $300 in upside.

What you fail to understand is that Carnival is a stock that is actively traded. The bid/asked will usually be one cent, two at the most. Now let's say, you put in a limit order to buy at 37. But the stock never dips to that and hits 40. For a measly $1 saving, you have lost out on $300 in upside.

I understand perfectly, but thanks for the education

By the way the stock will hit 37 before it hits 40

Hey, EXPERTS !!

I bought 100 shares at $30.00 and have received $100.00 in dividends plus $1100.00 in OBC, and the stock is now selling for over $36.00.

How much have I lost ????

Got mine at $24.00 and have enjoyed many OBC's myself. It's like any other investment...there is a risk. Some you win and some you lose. Right now I'm up.

That's nice, but folks need to know that prices can and will go down.

November 2007 - Carnival trades at $47

February 2009 - only 15 months later - Carnival trades at $18

That's a $2900 loss in 15 months on 100 shares and you would still not be even today!

Bottom line.... as someone else has said, if you don't know how to buy stocks... don't. Learn what you are doing first!

Now if you were like me and bought in February 2009. . . .

Thanks guys !! I was thinking on buying a few here and there to get a onboard credit ! I work really hard for my money so I am smart with it ! Just as one poster had said play money (that was where I was going ) ! I do find it amazing how easy it is to get what one wants. To add I just thought it would be cool to say I own stock in carnival ! If any of you are from the south 1 time in my life I made alot of money off a stock purchase of a little 1 store company(at the time I bought it) called cracker barrell LOL !!! No joke I paid 75cent a share just cause I love good food lol !!!! But really guys thanks !!

Edited by rockyman935
misspelling

Let's hear em...........we got time! ;)

First of all I think we've all learned in t he last 5-10 years that mutual funds are NOT the great thing the financial investment world claimed they were. They really are just a gamble

I've done some comparisons and over the past 10 years my GIC's and savings bonds (at only 2-3%) have vastly outperformed any mutual funds I bought, and I bought the low risk ones!!

Thanks guys !! I was thinking on buying a few here and there to get a onboard credit ! I work really hard for my money so I am smart with it ! Just as one poster had said play money (that was where I was going ) ! I do find it amazing how easy it is to get what one wants. To add I just thought it would be cool to say I own stock in carnival ! If any of you are from the south 1 time in my life I made alot of money off a stock purchase of a little 1 store company(at the time I bought it) called cracker barrell LOL !!! No joke I paid 75cent a share just cause I love good food lol !!!! But really guys thanks !!

Well congrats on Cracker Barrel, love that place for breakfast. There are success stories like that, Warren Buffet first IPO'd Berkshire Hathaway for $25 a share. Yesterday it closed at $133,444.00 a share. Problem is, for every success story there are a million disasters. It's human nature for folks to talk about there successes, not so much about their foolish investments ;). Buyin a few shares at a time runs your trading fees to the moon, but for those who aren't concerned, Sharebuilder is designed for you. Caveat Emptor

First of all I think we've all learned in t he last 5-10 years that mutual funds are NOT the great thing the financial investment world claimed they were. They really are just a gamble

I've done some comparisons and over the past 10 years my GIC's and savings bonds (at only 2-3%) have vastly outperformed any mutual funds I bought, and I bought the low risk ones!!

You obviously bought the wrong ones. Here's one example of a bond fund I hold which has blown away your 2-3% return + it is by NO MEANS one of the top performers, simply one I own as an example. Diversity, diversity, diversity, is how you make money + minimize risk!!! That's why people with portfolios < $100K can't adequately diversify w/o the use of a no-load, low exp mutual fund or a VASTLY diversified issue such as GE (almost the same as owning a stock MF) CCL is by NO MEANS a GE!

FAGIX

YTD Performance as of 12/05/2012 14.97%

1 Year* 16.42%

3 Year* 11.28%

5 Year* 9.06%

10 Year* 11.88%

Life* 10.24%

http://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/summary/316062108

I got lucky. I kept an eye on it and bought it last year when it wasn't doing very well. With the dividends, on board credit and the fact that it's gone up over 20% since then, my return is 25% for less than a year. Not bad :).

True, but you haven't MADE anything till you sell at that price. A wise man would do just that + wait for it to go back down (and it will). At today's valuation, it's got MUCH more downside than it's got upside and that can be said for the entire market. In the 90s I made tons of money off DELL. Bought everytime it fell to around $30, sold everytime it went to around $60. I'd put a limit order in to sell the same day I bought and a limit order to buy the same day I sold. Course, those days are gone + will never return in my lifetime.

People freely blow a couple of grand on a big screen TV, a refrigerator, a driving lawn mower, Christmas presents, or a cruise vacation. It just isn't enough money to wring your hands over if you're buying stock. I wouldn't hesitate to buy Carnival stock if I had the liquid assets and the price hit my personal "buy" level. They have been around for many decades and don't show any realistic sign of being headed for corporate disaster.

Start tossing a grand here or there like a day trader, then you need to be worried about due diligence. Or maybe not. We've seen enough news stories about monkeys, parrots, and poodles outperforming the market...

True, but you haven't MADE anything till you sell at that price. A wise man would do just that + wait for it to go back down (and it will). At today's valuation, it's got MUCH more downside than it's got upside and that can be said for the entire market.

Can you explain why a person should sell a stock that is being used for OBC if they cruise often ?? I can't relate to your logic .....