How to buy stock in carnival

rockyman935

You're in dreamland if you think that. When buying, that stock (any stock) could easily be a dollar or more higher than you think you're buying it at, thus you pay more than you wanted.

Try selling. The stock could easily be less by the time the trade gets executed, thus you don't get the price you want.

You use a limit order always to insure you get the stock at the price you want. If you don't, you are guessing what it will be.

I use Fidelity and my trades execate in seconds from the last quote. Limit orders are a great tool but at times market orders make sense... As far as not getting good information about investing here, may I point out that on investing boards there are just as many uniformed people with all kinds of advice and opinions.

I apologize, but I do not know what an "FF-EMTIV" is, but I know what a farmer is, and unless your farming is stuck in the 1930s, you are likely a savvy individual who hopefully uses the latest methods, technology and machinery.

You must be a "money man" in some way, eh?

I agree with some of the thoughts above, but if you have the excess cash (I believe you need to buy 100 shares of the stock), and you love the cruise line, and will cruise them somewhat frequently, then just go for it.

E Trade, Scott trade, TD Ameritrade (I use TD), just go on line and open an account. You can transfer the funds from your banking account (it's safe to do!)

Once you learn the software, just put in a "market" order for 100 shares of the stock (just be sure you have enough money in the account to cover it).

If you want to be fancy, put in a "limit" order. This is one where they will not purchase the stock for you unless it is at the price you want.

Example, today, at this moment, CCL is at $37.29. If you put in a market order you might get it at $37.29, or maybe $37.31. Not a big deal.

If you put in a limit order, you will specify the price that you are willing to pay. Say, $36.50. The order might take an hour or even a week to "execute", but you'll save money.

I always trade with limit orders. If you just want the stock, put the limit order in at what you see is the current price. It will likely execute within seconds. From there, the stock goes up or down!

Right now, and over the past 12 months, CCL stock is trending upward, but will have day-to-day fluctuations. Frankly, the stock is not much more below where it was 5 years ago! They also pay a dividend, which is not bad either.

I truely like your response thank you ! You sound like you have a Heart of a teacher ! FF Emt iv is a fire fighter and a emt ! I love airplanes too I dont owe one but my uncle used to own a small airport been working on my solo for years but again has to be play money(I got my 1st lesson for washing and waxing a dr 440 cess 2nd same deal on a piper cub) !!! (EXWIFE 3 kids hint play money)

Mutual funds are taxed annually, unlike individual stocks. My dad, Mr. Smart Investor, advised me to get out of mutual funds and into individual stocks. I started with $500 of Ford, sold that at a quite remarkable profit, and have enjoyed dabbling ever since. My stocks are not my retirement fund.

OP, the price of Carnival stock should go down in the winter season and is a good time to buy. I purchased mine in 3 different transactions over the course of a year until I had the required 100 shares. So far I've received 3 dividend checks of $25 each and OBC of $100. I very much enjoy the benefits of my CCL stock and hope you do too. :)

So, 100 shares is required to get OBC? Is that $100 OBC on each cruise? Per person or per cabin? Could you have the dividends reinvested in more stock automatically instead of getting a check if you chose? Does the amount of OBC vary with with amount of stock owned?

Edited by Out to sea!

So, 100 shares is required to get OBC? Is that $100 OBC on each cruise? Per person or per cabin? Could you have the dividends reinvested in more stock automatically instead of getting a check if you chose? Does the amount of OBC vary with with amount of stock owned?

100 shares IS required for OBC.....Amount of OBC depends on lenght of cruise....OBC is per cabin NOT per person....Doesn't matter if you have 100 shares or 500 shares. OBC only pays on the 100.

I truely like your response thank you ! You sound like you have a Heart of a teacher ! FF Emt iv is a fire fighter and a emt ! I love airplanes too I dont owe one but my uncle used to own a small airport been working on my solo for years but again has to be play money(I got my 1st lesson for washing and waxing a dr 440 cess 2nd same deal on a piper cub) !!! (EXWIFE 3 kids hint play money)

Thanks, Rockyman! You made my day. :)

Just remember that advice is worth what you pay for it, but there is no "rocket science" involved in buying CCL stock. It's actively traded and quite "liquid".

If you go with an online broker, the trading software they use will show you the "bid" and "ask". Say 37.00 on the bid (sell) and 37.01 on the ask (buy). You can also view individual trades and the size of each one. It can get far more complicated then that, especially if you want to read "candle stick" charts and much more. However, unless the stock is taking off for some reason, just put a limit order in on the BID price.

Unless they just had another ship go belly up, or just reported bad earnings, the stock should not be too volatile on a day-to-day basis.

If you can get it at 37 a share right now, no worries. Sure, there are folks who bought it at 19, but do not let that influence you, as that was during the crash of 2008 / 2009. After all, if it is just play money, and if you cruise enough, and as stated by some above, it is not a bad deal, especially if you cruise more than once a year.

Hey, Micky Arison just paid himself a $90 million bonus! :eek:

Just buy it, and enjoy your cruises!

Happy Holidays.

Google-- Carnival shareholder benefits -- and click on the Phx link to see the breakdown and details.

Edited by swedish weave

• 4 weeks later...
It says that anyone cruising on a reduced rate is exempt from getting the onboard credit.

So, unless you pay full fare, you can't get it?

I finally have to chime in...This HAS NOT been our experience! We use early saver, easy saver, past guest, pack & go rates, etc. We own 100+ shares and receive dividends that purchase more stock. We cruise at least 4 times a year. This is a great perk!

• 1 year later...
I finally have to chime in...This HAS NOT been our experience! We use early saver, easy saver, past guest, pack & go rates, etc. We own 100+ shares and receive dividends that purchase more stock. We cruise at least 4 times a year. This is a great perk!

thank you! This is the kind of confirmation I needed. I like an inside cabin and travel with discounts. Whew. Everyone I've heard from has spoken positively about it. Plenty of choices of cruise lines covered (Carnival, Princess, Costa, Holland, Cunard and more) .... 14 day cruises seem to get the best OBC (my next is a 28 day. grins. woulda been nice). And Carnival and Princess both cruise out of my home port, so airline savings by sticking with them.

Now to figure out which trade company to use. Etrade and Scottrade come up the most. Sure wish I could buy it using the credit card that gets the loyalty points. grins.

Conna

It has worked out very well for us as we have been cruising Carnival and now using Princess. On our longer cruises now we get $ 250 obc.

However if you are planning on doing most cruising outside the Carnival family might not be worthwhile.

Also remember it is an investment and the stock can go up and it can go down.

Yes, a minimum of 100 shares. Yes, you can reinvest the dividends. The OBC is per cabin. So, say you and your spouse each have 100 shares, you will still only get one OBC if your are booked in the same cabin. Yes, OBC is different depending on length of cruise. $50 for 1-6 days, $100 for 7-13 days, $250 for 14 days or more.

And to add to golfadj's comment, my dad once told me that any money you invest in the stock market is "play money" and you must be able to afford to lose it. Not saying you will but the stock market is a gamble and you can just as easy lose the money as making some.

I bought NCL stock with a limit order, meaning I set the price. When the stock dropped, my broker purchased it. No dividends since it was just an IPO! But I'm still up in price, and I have those nice OBCs to look forward to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes, you can use it wallpaper your bathroom with it as the shareholders of Enron + Worldcom did with theirs :rolleyes:.

Bottom line, if yah gotta ask how to do it, you AIN'T ready! Anyone can buy stock w/o knowing what they're doin, but that's "gambling" not "investing". ALSO, do a search for investing message boards and post your quiry there. Feel free to include these respones + see their reaction. This place is WONDEFUL for cruise advice. For investment advice, NOT SO GOOD!!! :D

Flash; Investing is gambling. It's just with research you can increase your odds. And, its tough to buck the market. Even good companies "correct" and "spike."

$36.50 today. For those who bought a few years ago, they are making out well, especially if they are cruising and getting the stockholder benefit. For those who bought back in January when it was almost $42 a share, well, I hope you're taking a lot of cruises to make up for the loss. :)

That's nice, but folks need to know that prices can and will go down.

November 2007 - Carnival trades at $47

February 2009 - only 15 months later - Carnival trades at $18

That's a $2900 loss in 15 months on 100 shares and you would still not be even today!

Bottom line.... as someone else has said, if you don't know how to buy stocks... don't. Learn what you are doing first!

February 2009 is when I bought my 100 shares at $17.07 including the commission through Fidelity.

• 2 years later...