Jewellery Purchases

Belfastlad

Thanks for the replys, was really pleased with the purchase and have had it appraised at home so very happy to make a further purchase on board in a fews weeks time. And as one of the previous posts mentioned its a wonderful way to remember a great holiday on a fab ship. :)

Who in their rght mind would buy jewellery on a ship:eek:

I am not completely there about "right mind" as martinis might have played a small part in the decision but we bought some beautiful Tahitian pearls with diamonds on board Seabourn Spirit. :eek: I have never seen any better anywhere and when we arrived home we had them appraised and even though the appraisal was for insurance, the value came in at double what we paid with a very good quality opinion from the jeweler concerning setting and stones.:D Not so sure about the "Gold by the Inch" on QM2.:eek::D Of course I posted this in December too. Just want to make a point about the dangers of martinis.

Mrs Pies4u managed to buy a diamond & green gold ring from Onofrio wotsit on the QM2 recently. I only went to the spa for an hour and she went berserk! :)

(The only consolation was it had been reduced by 50% - but it still constituted about half our on board spend, excl trips/excursions).

He actually provides a personal guarantee of authenticity and a hand written certificate - which struck me as a bit odd, but then again he does manufacture the items himself. Having it valued for insurance purposes suggests it was a bargain tho'.

Most of the general stuff in those " bring & buy" sales is utter tat but some of it actually looks quite smart & is ok and decent vfm. Some of the watches for $10 are brill, I got one on QV 3 years ago and it is still working! The Michael Kors watches are fantastic if you want an elegant timepiece at actually affordable prIces.

[quote name=Jim Avery:D Not so sure about the "Gold by the Inch" on QM2.:eek::D

.[/quote]

When we were last on QM2 I was looking at the "gold by the inch" and the lady who was selling it recognised me by my accent,from her home town, and whispered in my ear that it was a load of rubbish and not to waste my money on it.

The valuation for Insurance purposes is the amount of money that it would cost to have the individual item of jewellery manufactured again and bears no resemblance whatsoever to the price that it could be sold for or more pertinently what it should be bought for. It is often almost 200% of the retail price because there is no allowance made for economies of scale.

The valuation for Insurance purposes is the amount of money that it would cost to have the individual item of jewellery manufactured again and bears no resemblance whatsoever to the price that it could be sold for or more pertinently what it should be bought for. It is often almost 200% of the retail price because there is no allowance made for economies of scale.

how right you are.:D In the end, if you like it and can afford it, buy it.:D

how right you are.:D In the end, if you like it and can afford it, buy it.:D

Indeed. Funnily enough, I've bought enough jewellery to know how it is valued tho' - I still think we got a good deal on board.

When we were last on QM2 I was looking at the "gold by the inch" and the lady who was selling it recognised me by my accent,from her home town, and whispered in my ear that it was a load of rubbish and not to waste my money on it.

Her surname wasn't Ratner by any chance, was it? :D:D:D

J

Last year on a cruise on Riviera (Oceania line) I had about $170 onboard spend left, so went looking in the jewellery shops. I liked a Swarovski necklace so valued it in the Swarovski shop in Barcelona, and found the shipboard price was MUCH better. However, the colours of the necklace looked washed-out on the top I wanted it for.

Next I saw a gold-coloured brooch and thought my mother might like it. It was $169 and I bought it. When I got home I did some investigation as I was intrigued. It was a vintage 50s piece by Trifari. In the end I found a similar one on the internet (on etsy) for $17! It seems that mugs sell Granny's jewellery cheaply. People from Susan Caplan search the internet and buy them, adding on a huge whack before selling them in prestigious London stores or to Harding Bros (who manage the cruise jewellery stores). Harding Bros and the cruise lines get their huge share. Interestingly, I saw the same brooch for $139 on Queen Victoria. When I laughed about it with the girl in the shop, she insisted on seeing if she could get me a refund of the difference in price, as it was all Harding Bros, but she couldn't (and I hadn't expected it).

The good points are firstly that the brooch didn't really cost me anything as the OBC had been given to me when I booked, and secondly that I now know where to buy cheap vintage jewellery (on etsy).

Archived