Pacific Northwest Itenerary-what to do?

luv2gocruzin

Hi Ted,

...kinda depends on your interests, I guess. I'm not familiar with what the total offerings are on each tour. If the Maritime Museum is a singular experience tour, and the Seafood & Wine tour goes to more places, I'd probably opt for the latter.

Another thought, would there be time for you to do both? While the MM is a commendable facility, it's not something that takes a long time to see and enjoy. Depending on what time of day the S&W tour leaves, might you be able to do the MM on your own in the morning and the S&W in the afternoon, or vice versa?

Any of us who live in the area would be glad to help answer questions.

CM

... is the start of the amazing Oregon Coast. Astoria itself is OK as small towns go -- it's amazing to look across the mighty Columbia River and to behold the huge bridge that spans it, heading north to our state -- but for many of us who live in this region, it's just a town you drive through on the way to the coast. Not even half an hour west, the first major beach town you hit is Seaside, which is a fun place, but it gets even better from there, as you head south to Cannon Beach (with the huge seastack "Haystack Rock") and as Highway 101 goes on to amazingly scenic stretches over the ocean. If I were on this cruise, I'd rent a car and drive the coast for a few hours - come back and drive up to see the Astoria Column - then get back on board :)

TR, Mercury-bound for Alaska in two weeks

Thanks CM. We're only docked from 9 to 6 and we tend to be late risers so not sure if we'll have enough time to do both. I think the seafood one is more of a "school", so it may be a one stop. I need to look into this a bit more.

• 1 month later...

we chose the tour that inlcudes the Fort--this is a big anniv yr for the Lewis & Clark expedition so we figured we'd learn about some history & see the sights...we might stop into the museum after the tour but also want to see the Flavel mansion...

If you'd like to do something great within walking distance in Victoria, I highly recommend the Crystal Garden Conservatory. Amazing tropical flowers and orchids, beautifully designed areas, pink flamingos, butterflies. We did this on our last visit. We're sailing the Mercury September 29, and anticipate visiting the Crystal Garden again. Gorgeous, and completely indoors, so weather isn't an issue.

Happy Sailing, Carla

We were just there on the Infinity (it's maiden stop there). Overall we were not that impressed with the town, but it is a relatively new stop and is working on it's economics to improve it as a port. We had signed up for the Seafood cooking and Wine Tasting. When we boarded we were given a notice that the Seafood cooking was cancelled and replaced with and Italian restaurant that would show us how to make a Seafood Appetizer and Mozzerella. It would still contain the Wine tasting. Since we are from NY and have great Italian influences here, we didn't need to be taught how to make mozzerella in Astoria so we cancelled. Well when we docked we went into town and found the Wine Cellar (i think that was the name of the shop). It was about 4 blocks from the Liberty Theater. It turns out that was where the tastings were being held. We ended up getting the same tastings for $5.00 that the tour was charging $67 for (including the cooking). We ended up spending an hour in the Wine shop chatting with the owner. He was very pleasant and tremendously knowledgeable about the local wines. We picked out a few nice bottles, but nothing extravegant. Then he surprised us and opened the "back room". That was the Granddaddy of wine cellars. It was a wonderful room with all kinds of wonderful and exclusive bottles of wines and champagnes. We put back a couple of our other choices and made some new selections from that room!

Overall, it was a great visit and found the shop to be charming, and truly captured some great local wines. Oh, and he also ended up not charging us the $5.00 pp for the tastings and threw in a cork screw for us as well!

Having said all that, you could probably do the MM in the morning and then take the shuttle bus that loops from the pier to town and stop by the Wine store for tasting. Another option that people said was very nice (we didn't go) was the Pub Crawl. They said the food was plentiful, and the drinks generous. Just another option.

Lady Librarian you are correct....Crystal Gardens has closed. The Inner Harbour area of Victoria has many great places to visit without having to take a ship's tour and all are easy walking. I highly recommend The Royal Museum of British Columbia, a ride on the little Ferry boats in the Harbour, a walk along Government Street with a mandatory stop at Rogers Chocolates (you do not have to buy, just stand and enjoy the aroma) and if you feel like spending the big dollars you would have spent on a ship's tour....have tea at the Empress Hotel.

re Victoria: disappointed about the crystal gardens--what else would you suggest for a morning walk--our tour is in the pm

re Astoria: we saw an ad for the wine place so looks like we will check it out in the afternoon if we have good weather--seems it has been ify lately!

re: nanaimo: any suggestions? we are not doing a tour

I haven't been to any NW sailings, but since I live in Salem, OR, I thought I would offer some advice. Be sure to bring rain gear. Rainy season starts usually in Oct. so make sure you bring the proper clothes. I have been to Mt. St. Helens before and its amazing. However, also be prepared for rain. Also, don't be too surprised if you get a lot of fog. We did the Ape Caves and that was a lot of fun. I don't know if they have this as an excursion, but it is basically a lava cave that developed and is about a mile or more long. This is great if it is raining because you can get out of it. You'll want a flashlight though. Other than that have fun! Oh and did I mention be prepared for rain. Also, I have never been to Astoria, but if you can get down to Tillamook (Cheese Factory and Dairy there is awesome, best ice cream ever) or Seaside they are both great places.

Good luck!

If you like nature, history or spirits, check out www.naturepark.com/tours

They will meet you at the dock at a pre-arranged time for gentle guided interpretive walking experiences, not far but full of fun! Guides are nationally certiifed and university educated with 15+ years guiding experience. Best if you book ahead by e-mail. They will do private tours too! They are consistently rated number 1 by clients for knowledge, presentation and friendliness.

Nanaimo Tour Guide

When in Victoria, a visit to the Empress Hotel for tea is recommended if you like to re-create the English atmosphere. Victoria is known to be more English than England. The Provincial Museum has a great showcase of First Nations, nature and history displays. There is even a bug zoo right downtown if you are traveling with kids, this is a must! You can go into the parliament buildings or walk through Chinatown. There is alot of shopping here too.

For something unique, take in a cemetery walk hosted by the old cemetery society www.oldcem.bc.ca to learn about early and later residents of the city such as Emily Carr, Robert Dunsmuir, early architects, Hudson Bay Company staff, etc. Or if you are staying overnight, take guided ghost walk downtown. John Adams, a local historian, published author, is a great storyteller!

There are several whale watching companies www.5starwhales.com that will take you out for a 3 hour tour (I have trained several of their staff) and nature companies who will share nature with you.

Today, another Mercury cruise ship came in.

People are always asking what there is to do in our fair city:

Visit the Old City Quarter, a district that grew up around the railway station. Includes: 1893 Victorian Church and listen to the bells and 1901 pipe organ.

Check out the railway station. Stop for coffee at Bocca's or one of the many restaurants. Shop at the variety of locally-owned specialty shops like rock/gem, clothing, Specialty foods, gift shops and others. Enjoy the ambiance of a turn-of-the-20th-century town. For those with difficulty walking, there is a free shuttle from the Port Theatre to the Old City Quarter, return. Take a guided historic walk of the Old City Quarter to learn the significance.

Or: take a free shuttle to the second-largest shopping mall on Vancouver Island, step into a high end limosine tour or take scenic flight over the city. Jump on a footferry for trip over the The Dighy Dock Pub, Canada's only floating pub or take a ferry for a hike or stroll on Newcastle Island Provincial Park in the Harbour.

More adventurous? Bungy jump over Canada's only bungy bridge, hike up Mount Benson or into Bowen park.

Less adventurous? Hve coffee, peoplewatch or read a book on the waterfont or check out the museum on the hill.

Hello,

I just saw this in our local paper:

Oct 11 just for Mercury cruise ship the local Natives (we call them First Nations) are hosting a craft event with a ceremony starting at 10am and dances using carved masks and art display/sale all day. It takes place about 3 blocks from the dock. More info: www.ifirstnation.com

• 2 weeks later...

We had a great 5 day cruise on the Mercury. The ship is showing its age in some areas--carpet, drapes etc but is spotless. Service is excellent with good food--smaller portions than in the past but no one will starve. Loved the T-pool.

We thought nNinamo was a great port--although not much to do--we took a taxi tour & saw all over--up by the college, wooded areas, yacht club, new housing area & in town etc. Had a nice driver & we were very happy with our choice. Walk around alot in both shopping areas (the few shops away fromthe dock area & then in town--not that much to buy but OK for window shopping--lots of Indian or what they call First nation items...& also touristy stuff near the pier. The locals really want the cruise business & are very welcoming--the new offering in above post sounds nice. Had great weather & a very pleasant day there!

Also enjoyed Victoria--had to pick & choose & it was our first time so we took the tour from the ship to Buchart Gardens (beautiful worth the long ride!--we had time to see it all & take some great photos..) Tour also included the winery--also very nice,,The tour went through the city but no time to go back there aftre afternoon tour.On our next trip there in the future we will enjoy just going around to the wonderful shops in the city--beautiful architecture , gov bldgs museums--could spend alot of time there! & it is all so clean & welcoming!

Astoria was our least fav port--just nothing to do except a small flea market--a very depressed area economically & not yet ready to be a tourist destination. Took the trolley--not well done at all & walked around to the Flavel House--back to ship quite early.... had to cancel our excursion to the fort we had to cancel due to change in docking time & having early dinner on formal night. Glad we cancelled...it was expensive & you can get a free bus to same fort just in town from local tourism! Keep that in mind!

All in all a nice cruise--hope you have good weather---loved Seattle!

Archived