Altun Ha Mayan Site & River Wallace or Altun Ha & City Tour?

hjrell

We will be on Carnival Liberty going to Belize - we are considering 1 of these 2 excursions through Carnival...has anyone done either of these and which would you recommend?

We definitely want to book through the cruise line and are looking for a relaxed excursion.

Any insight woukd be appreciated!

Thank you!

We will be on Carnival Liberty going to Belize - we are considering 1 of these 2 excursions through Carnival...has anyone done either of these and which would you recommend?

We definitely want to book through the cruise line and are looking for a relaxed excursion.

Any insight woukd be appreciated!

Thank you!

We are taking a spring break cruise on NCL Star in March and thought we probably would do the Altun Ha and Belize City tour instead of the river tour. Some reviews stated they didn't have enough time for the ruins. Anyway I would also love to have some input on these. Also thinking probably would use ship's tour for this port....If anyone has input I too would love it!

Thanks!

We have recently gone through Altun Ha through a private company, and it included a city tour. We've called on Belize a couple of times, and Belize City is IMHO not much to look at. Personally if I was doing it again, I would have skipped the city part of the tour. You do go through a bit of the city on the way to the ruins. I haven't done the River Wallace part, but there are several reviews on this forum with mixed results. Some really enjoyed and some not so much.

All that said, the ruins themselves are really cool, and worth the effort to get there no matter which you choose.

We booked the Altun Ha River Wallace tour for our visit to Belize next month. We wanted to visit the ruins but real plus for us was the river boat ride. We think it will be very cool to take a river boat ride through the jungle see some wildlife and villages along the river and experience some local flavor. I’ll be sure to post a review upon our return mid January.

We booked the Altun Ha River Wallace tour for our visit to Belize next month. We wanted to visit the ruins but real plus for us was the river boat ride. We think it will be very cool to take a river boat ride through the jungle see some wildlife and villages along the river and experience some local flavor. I’ll be sure to post a review upon our return mid January.

Please do come back and let us know how you liked this excursion. I have it booked for myself, DH and DS (age 18) for our April cruise.

Please do come back and let us know how you liked this excursion. I have it booked for myself, DH and DS (age 18) for our April cruise.

Will do look for it around the middle of January. We are big "beach people" and usually are looking for the best beach or water activity so this is a little different for us but one we are really looking forward too.

We just did the ruin/river tour last week and it was wonderful! We booked through Carnival, had priority tender, met our guide and were off. We took the bus to the ruins first. We did wish we had a little more time at the ruins, but it is a small site and we saw all of it. Then we had lunch at the Black Orchid. Then the river cruise. It was beautiful. We saw monkeys, crocs, and iguanas. One thing I did learn from our guide is that it is best to do the river part of the tour second (they split the tour so some do the river first then the ruins) because more crocs will be out in the sun. It was very hot & humid the day we went and I thought I was going to melt:eek: But once we were on the boat it felt much cooler with the wind.

Hope you have fun!

44997_10152359472555300_616698502_n.jpg

382095_10152359475430300_1365754310_n.jpg

199732_10152359476935300_600108699_n.jpg

425408_10152359477680300_783704181_n.jpg

32428_10152359478460300_1660581079_n.jpg

That sounds great and your pics are awesome. We booked it with Carnival also so the priority tender will be a plus. In total how long did the tour last? Did you have any time left to explore the port? Thanks for sharing!

That sounds great and your pics are awesome. We booked it with Carnival also so the priority tender will be a plus. In total how long did the tour last? Did you have any time left to explore the port? Thanks for sharing!

I think it was about 6 hours. We had just a little time left after we got back, but in my opinion there isn't much to see in the port. There are some shops and a couple of bars. The line to get back on the tender was loooong so we would take turns walking around a little bit. Be careful though, I never felt unsafe, but when my DS (19) and I were in a shop, one of the workers wanted to know if my son wanted to buy some of the "white powder":eek:

We are interested in taking the ruin tour along with the Thomas river tour through our ship. I did notice Carnival had an age limit of 4. Our granddaughter will be 4 in June and we will be cruising in March so she is a few months shy of her 4th birthday. Has anyone taken this tour with a three year old and if so, could you offer insight if it was enjoyable or boring for your child?

Thanks in advance,

pittypat

We are interested in taking the ruin tour along with the Thomas river tour through our ship. I did notice Carnival had an age limit of 4. Our granddaughter will be 4 in June and we will be cruising in March so she is a few months shy of her 4th birthday. Has anyone taken this tour with a three year old and if so, could you offer insight if it was enjoyable or boring for your child?

Thanks in advance,

pittypat

I don't know if this will happen to you or not, but I recently tried to book an excursion online with Royal Caribbean where one person in my party was out of the age range, and I was not allowed to book it. :(

Archived