Voyager of the Seas Picture Review Dec 2012 Australia & New Zealand Cruise

Oh cool!

I assume you have cruised with other lines before?

Anyway, we are a family of four and our kids are 6 and 7. Thanks to Adventure Ocean, my wife and I can have more time to ourselves during a cruise.

For shore excursions, we usually do-it-ourselves, as you will see in the rest of the review. The ship organized shore excursions are generally good and they guarantee to wait for you to return, however the cost adds up with four.

Hi....no, we haven't cruised before....on any lines, anywhere.....its our very first and we are so excited! :)

Hi....no, we haven't cruised before....on any lines, anywhere.....its our very first and we are so excited! :)

Oh! Wow. What a way to start your cruising journey, with an 18 nighter!

Haha, ok, then best to spend enough time reading up the cruise critic threads, which I find very useful.

If there are any specific areas that you may want my opinion, feel free to ask.

This Australia/NZ cruise was our 5th cruise on Royal Caribbean and I think there will be many more to come.

Excellent review - can't wait to read more. We are booked for a 17 night Sydney to Perth via New Zealand in Feb 2014 on the Radiance. It will be the longest cruise we have ever taken. Will be interested to hear if you and the kids enjoyed this length of cruise.

My kids loved the cruise. They loved the food, the entertainment, Adventure Ocean, the sea, running about on deck 12 in the strong winds, playing in our huge aft balcony....... the list goes on and on.

Yups, loved it.

Enjoying your review! :)

Can you please advise if the windjammer was no self serve due to the Noro problem?

Did the captain address the issue that Voyager from what we hear on this forum has had Noro from the Singapore to Sydney cruise continuously?

Also, do they have the frozen yoghurt machines on Voyager, if so, were these still self serve?

Thanks.

When our cruise started, Windjammer was self-serve. We were advised to wash our hands frequently and to use the hand sanitizers. We were told there was Noro on board but situation was under control, so there was no '2nd protocol.'

However, about Day 8 or 9, there was no more self-serve. Crew started to serve at WJ, which does result in longer lines. Yes, the frozen yogurt machines were still available, just that the crew had to serve you.

The ship deployed crew from all quarters to assist with the service as the Dining Room staff was way overstretched. On a particular day, we had the Ice Cast serving us! Another day, it was the sound technicians.

During the Captain's corner, Cpt Charles said that they sanitize the ship and staterooms thoroughly between sailings. During the first few days of our cruise, we were Noro free. However, they started to see cases and the cases increased, so it became self-serve from about Day 8 or 9 all the way till the end of our cruise.

Day 1 - Dinner!

We took the main seating which was 6pm. Second seating was 8:30pm.

We had just been on the Voyager in June 2012 (Singapore to Shanghai). We had never been on a 14 nighter and we were most curious to see what the MDR menu would be like.

Overall, we were not disappointed. The food was fantastic, in our opinion.

2r2ojnn.jpg

9jgoar.jpg

r0s8r6.jpg

The menu was different for the 14 nights, though a couple of the more popular offerings were repeated. (e.g. Surf & Turf, certain beef dishes)

Gone were many of the Asian offerings which, in our opinion, wasn't great at all.

I noticed the portofino lobster on the dining room menu, can you order this in the dining room on any night and I assume there is an extra charge?

What's formal dinner without a nice glass of wine?

okaarl.jpg

In reality, this was my first cruise that I ordered wine at MDR. We don't have a culture of drinking during meals, but then again, it is nice!

I decided against ordering bottles since my wife didn't want to drink. So I went for glasses instead. C&A Platinum and above booklets have this nifty buy one get one free offer (for beer, and wine by glass). Useful. Some nights I had two glasses.

I noticed the portofino lobster on the dining room menu, can you order this in the dining room on any night and I assume there is an extra charge?

I assume you can order, as long as it is available on the menu!

The charge is listed. You can see the fine print - 34.00.

The Prawn Ravioli. This was a miss.

dw8idt.jpg

By now, some of you may be thinking, how do we finish all this food?

The short answer, is we don't.

We eat family-style, we order more than we can finish, and we just pick on what we like to eat!

That, to me, is one HUGE reason why we cruise. It is as if we are having a chef sampler gastronomical delight every evening.

Like it or not, not every dish would be a hit. And, some parts of the dishes may be better than others. So we just eat what we like.

Typically, we finish at most 50% of the food before us.

Sounds wasteful, I know. But our waitress was very happy with us. We were easy to please. Just give us the food, whatever we like we eat, whatever we didn't like we left it alone. :):)

rvc6zm.jpg

This was the dessert menu for Day 2.

Same with the entrees, we typically order 4 desserts every night for the both of us to share. My kids usually have the cookie of the day plus ice-cream.

We cannot be finishing all 4 desserts. It would way too much in terms of calorie intake!!

wjxm2s.jpg

2vcupeb.jpg

Some more food.

11jx92d.jpg

There is a small section of the WJ where they prepare food with a different theme every night. This must have been Indian night or something. I remember there was Thai, Indian, Italian, Australian etc.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

This was from Cafe Promenade, later that evening, about 1030pm.

b8rach.jpg

34j9liq.jpg

In my opinion, the best food from Cafe Promenade at the pizzas. They are almost always piping hot. There is high demand for the pizzas so the turnover is very high and the pizzas are freshly made.

The cheese pizza became my kids' staple for supper as well as afternoon snack.