Tere Moana live

Emdee

There was plenty of food

Agree about seats in the dining room -seats 78 but with 90 guests the second venue needs to be used at all times. Some guests were out of luck on a few days.

Dining hours are extremely small

I heard that the ship had some rust and is being cleaned up.

Two choice of apps at dinner but nothing during the cocktail hour. There was a very limited menu at room service but only until 9 pm.

Service did improve but IMO its understaffed .

Ship certainly is a work in progress.

Just counting the seats in the dining room. 89 chairs, guess one of us needs to stand up.haha. We are sailing with 91 guests as I have a single cabin with two in it. staff is working hard as Emdee noted to clean up the rust. lots of painting going on, but on a ship it's never ending. lunch dining looks to be extended hours as in the AM. Today, Uriah and I requested Eggs Ben and they were great. you just need to ask!

Staff now has time to vist with the guests and looks like more staffing during cocktail hours.

we are picking up some new staff today as well as some going on vacation.

Mike :) :)

Hi Mike... it was great to meet you on the TM last week. You were such a positive influence to many of us who were comparing the PG to this new, smaller and obviously fledgling inaugural voyage.

I look forward to hearing more about how the ship improves, if the staff burns out, and if Tim becomes more confident. Thank goodness for Jacques!

I am still rocking and rolling, even on terra firma. I did NOT enjoy the extreme movement of the ship at night- and the banging from the waves on apparently ice-proof hull... The temperature of the interiors left a lot to be desired as well.

I too think a rebate of some kind would be appropriate here- It would go a long way to help us feel as though we've been heard.

Safe and happy voyage with your friend, Mike.

~Pam

Larkspur Landing, I enjoyed Emdees review of the cruise but would love to hear your opinion too of the cruise?

Hi Mike,

89 seats would never have been enough for our cruise.

90 was double occupancy and we were four cabins AFAIK who had triples.

Besides there was the problem of some single seats. We were three in a 4 seater for example. I do believe that they need to use some of the last few cabins on our deck for staff and therefore have slightly less capacity and more staff. Even then the dining al fresco is largely a good idea as repeaters usually are entitled to dinner with an officer.

Good about the eggs benny but they really should have these options on the table like they do on PG as well as the lunch burger option on the table - then people know whether they can ask. A lot needs to be done to convert the cruise from 3 star to 5 star. It would make sense for PG cruises to closely follow what their competition is doing. Many of the guests compared TM to the Seadream and Seabourn as price points are similar. I am now eager to try those lines in the near future.

Time to get up. it's 7AM and we are just about ready to get into port. Last night was some of the staffs last night so we had a little party to thank them. feeling it today.

Weather last night was a bit more rocking and rolling but not as bad as it has been. I agree that while we can get anything we like in the way of food, it would be nice to see a bit more on the menus.

Looking forward to tonight, the ship is letting Uriah and I do a show so look out, it's Uriah in concert, they may leve us in colombia....

We found a great beach, Kickkeys Beach Club, in Aruba, it's a short walk from the ship, just keep walking to the ariport along the shore. Great beach, food, drinks and for not much $$.

nice sand, lots of locals, all day including beach stuff, drinks, water was $26 to two.

other than the beach you can take this port off the agenda, too many large ships and lost of junk for sale, just my view.

Mike

well off to breakfast for more food :)

Mike

This was an inaugural cruise. and Not to be compared with the seasoned Paul Gaugin. By the time you cruise, I'm sure it will be a completely different experience. The staff had just met each other AND come onto the ship only a few short days before sailing. All but the Hotel Director, Jacques, and the Captain, were new to the ship, so you can imagine how the first day was. But it continued to improve daily as everyone got their 'sea legs'. There were appetizers at some of the "special" cocktail hours: the christening and new year's eve, but only mixed nuts other nights. But plenty of food- my god, the new year's eve dinner was 10 courses and 3 hours long! With seconds on huge lobster tails if requested!

It is a small ship and indeed was rocking and rolling- and noisy at night due to the new steel 'ice worthy' hull- but the cabins were lovely (we enjoyed a cabin with a deck) (I suggest NOT booking 508, due to the proximity of the exterior door that banged each time someone went through).

Not the best cruise I've taken (Paul Gaugin takes that award, hands down), but I'd be surprised if major improvements haven't been made by the time of your cruise. Best wishes, and Happy New Year!

Actually not true.... a number of the staff came on board during dry dock. Capt, Jacques, Marco for example. Rachit and I think Rogelio among others. Besides the week before christmas was the TA shakedown cruise . So they had at least two weeks to sort things out. That being said for a new crew to work like clockwork takes some time. That is why large corporations like RCCL run a new ship at 60% capacity and offer special deals for the first couple of months. On the Oasis for example they offered open bar at no additional cost.

I think the issue that a number of passengers seemed to have is that the quality of the ship's offerings was not that of a 5 star operation and they compared this to Seabourn and SeaDream. I havent been on either of those lines so I have to compare the facilities and quality to Regent and find the TM wanting.

Actually not true.... a number of the staff came on board during dry dock. Capt, Jacques, Marco for example. Rachit and I think Rogelio among others. Besides the week before christmas was the TA shakedown cruise . So they had at least two weeks to sort things out. That being said for a new crew to work like clockwork takes some time. That is why large corporations like RCCL run a new ship at 60% capacity and offer special deals for the first couple of months. On the Oasis for example they offered open bar at no additional cost.

I think the issue that a number of passengers seemed to have is that the quality of the ship's offerings was not that of a 5 star operation and they compared this to Seabourn and SeaDream. I havent been on either of those lines so I have to compare the facilities and quality to Regent and find the TM wanting.

today we have a few crew changes, Alan from the PG is now on board along with other changes. Service is sorting its problems out. The new crew and wait staff are working more like a team. by the time we leave the TM will be running like the 5 star operation it is.

Tonight Uriah is playing and we are show casing some old picts of our great Capt......

Mike :) :) :) :)

What PG department was Alan in? Dont recall him.

Hi Emdee: Alan is a waiter, his brother is on the TM now. Very Very good food server.

Tonights dinner, again great. dinner seating at 7 PM, it's now 8:45 PM all is good. looks like we may get a little more rock and roll so I hope everyone will stay up to come to Uriahs show. I got some dreads in town to match his.

Capt. invited us up on the bridge for saling, great time. I know I sound like a broken record, but service get's better everyday. most of the menu was the same as last week for me, but still great. looking forward to new items for our next 7 days.

I re-counted the seating, and they keep the extra chairs in the back hall. the dinning room can seat more than 90 and we all fit. so far this week everyone can and has eaten in one seating.

sea day so hope the weather holds.

Happy sailing Mike :) :) :)

Thank you for the updays, your giving us hope :)

Time to get up. a few of us stayed up late, 1 AM and just had fun singing and making fun of each other. good time..

At sea today, Culf of Venezuela, looks like the weather is going to be great, lots of sun so out on deck we will all go.

This is Capt Z last night so we, guest, are going to give him a little party. Uriah and I have some funny pictures of past trips we sailed with him on the PG, so we are going to have a little fun with him tonight.

Like I posted, Great dinner last night and you can see a big improvement in the staff service, while we were up playing last night I could see a lot of traning....

Everything is still a work in progress, but everyone that I have talked to, guest, are having a great time and understand she is a new ship with a new crew.

Ship is not rocking and rolling like in the past, just a nice rock-a-buy to sleep most nights. O and your going to LOVE the beds.....

lots of new staff, it's just rotation time, so we don't have all new staff, just a few new ones but looks like they have been on either the PG or the TM in the past. new to PG cruise but they know this ship.

well off to eat..... and eat....

and some sun and fun

Mike :) :) :)

Jus t a note, If I knew everything that has been before I booked 21 days on the TM now, I would sign up in a heart beat.. I am having the best time on a ship in a long time, and I just got back from the PG in March.. I'll be back! no pund inteded.

Glad you are having a grand time. I booked our return airfare this morning so everything is figured out for our 12/07/13 crusie on the TM. We got a great price as we booked as we were getting off the PG so yes, a great price. From the sound of it I'm glad we booked as I would guess the price tag will be going up quickly once word is on the street about how this lil' ship is coming together.

I'm going PG Cruises broke, will need to put out the money for the repeater cruise shortly. Looking forward to meeting several people I've interacted with on this forum come September 2014.

We have booked the November transatlantic cruise to celebrate our 15 year anniversary. I was a little nervous reading initial posts but am getting more excited all the time. Thanks so much for posting live and enjoy the rest of your journey! :)

Glad you are having a grand time. I booked our return airfare this morning so everything is figured out for our 12/07/13 crusie on the TM. We got a great price as we booked as we were getting off the PG so yes, a great price. From the sound of it I'm glad we booked as I would guess the price tag will be going up quickly once word is on the street about how this lil' ship is coming together.

I'm going PG Cruises broke, will need to put out the money for the repeater cruise shortly. Looking forward to meeting several people I've interacted with on this forum come September 2014.

Last night was great, weather could have not been better and the passage went well.

Food and service had a bit of a set back last night, we have been told, Uriah and I are sitting at a talbe for two, tired of all the people who are trying to take away our vacation.

We have had good service and food, not all has been as it should be, but we have and continue to go with the flow and are having fun. Uriah and I have and will continue to help out in the Grand Salon and are having fun doing so.

Some of our guest think Uriah and I are working on the ship and they can yell at us like they do the staff. BOY are they in for it. We get to yell back, the rest of the staff can't.

While, as I posted in the past, a lot of work needs to be done when you sign up for a first run on a new ship you need to go with the flow and have some understanding.

If both Uriah and I had the time we would love to stay on and help out, free,even stay with the staff as we have come to care about all of them.

Last night, I have been told, it took a long time for some to get dinner, we were in at 7 and out up on deck by 7:45. food was hot and great.

I'll post more when I get home, but am going to keep the live as ++ as I can. All that are sailing don't dispaire, they will work it out. down to the last few days, and we are not ready to go home.

Mike and Uriah. singing nightly in the Grand Salon

:) :) :)

We are on the Feb. 23 Panama Canal cruise. There seems to be a dearth of shore excursions. Any recommendations from those who are on the cruise now?

We like to snorkel and hike, etc.

Hope the Bugs are out for the Feb. cruise.

Thank you for the heads up. My rental car deal is to drop off the car at the marina so we can stay anywhere we want : )

We just got back from 2 weeks in St. Martin. We always stay in Oyster Pond. The difference between French and Dutch - French has French TV, no dishwasher, washer, nor dryer, you can pay your housekeeper to do this. Dutch side has US TV, dishwasher, washer/dryer, and better grocery stores. Stop at Fresh Market on your way to your accommodations. But, Oyster Pond is only 15 minutes from Orient Beach. Currency exchange rate is also better on the Dutch side than the French. Oyster Pond is also 15 minutes from Phillipsburg and 15 minutes from Marigot.

We have stayed at Princess Heights and Coral Beach Club. We usually rent a villa in the hills.

AS we will only be in Saint Martin for 3 days prior to getting on the TM we thought this area was a good fit for us. A bit slower than some other parts of the islands but close to many things. Princess Heights appears to fit was for us. Clean, newer, views and the price was right.

The pizza place in Oyster Bay looks like my type of place. Good & reasonable prices. Have you tried Le Taitu in Mont Vernon? Looks like another good place for me to have dinner at.

Already found the market on Google Earth and plan on stopping by there on the way.

WOW 21 days has come and gone. we are, or are going to be, in Marenco Costa Rica for our last day. Great beach yesterday with lost of good sun and fish to view.

Have had a great time and while others may have not enjoyed the ship, I have. Yes they do need a lot of work and more staff, but I know they will work it out.

down to the last 43 min of time on the net, so will post when we get back to SF on Sat.

If you have booked the TM, come on down, the staff will show you a great time.

Mike and Uriah. :) :) :)

WOW 21 days has come and gone. we are, or are going to be, in Marenco Costa Rica for our last day. Great beach yesterday with lost of good sun and fish to view.

Have had a great time and while others may have not enjoyed the ship, I have. Yes they do need a lot of work and more staff, but I know they will work it out.

down to the last 43 min of time on the net, so will post when we get back to SF on Sat.

If you have booked the TM, come on down, the staff will show you a great time.

Mike and Uriah. :) :) :)

Mike, could share what, if any, compensation the cruise line gave you for your entertainment on board and for any problems you and other passengers encountered? I'd be interested to know how the management responded to you and other passengers who encountered problems. I know on a cruise line I cruise frequently, that when these kinds of difficulties arise, passengers are given OBC or future cruise credits. It would be helpful to know.

Mike, could share what, if any, compensation the cruise line gave you for your entertainment on board and for any problems you and other passengers encountered? I'd be interested to know how the management responded to you and other passengers who encountered problems. I know on a cruise line I cruise frequently, that when these kinds of difficulties arise, passengers are given OBC or future cruise credits. It would be helpful to know.

We just got home, will post and answer questions tomorrow

Mike

We are on the Feb. 23 Panama Canal cruise. There seems to be a dearth of shore excursions. Any recommendations from those who are on the cruise now?

We like to snorkel and hike, etc.

Hope the Bugs are out for the Feb. cruise.

TM needs to work on the shore excursions. as we were the first, they have not had time to work with vendors on each of the islands. we did not take any of the excursions and none appealed to us. Talking to those who went on excursions the second week, some liked and some were disappointed.

I'm sure they will work it out before you sail. The feedback from the snorkel excursions were all good. feedback from the hiking was not so good. not much to see and Uriah and I went out on our own and were able to see more wildlife and nature that those on the hiking tours.

they did and will have a great local on board for the canal transient.

Tim, CC and shore excursions desk is working on new excursions for Feb. Just be sure to ask, they are not so good on communications yet.

Mike

they did not and we did not ask for any compensation. As fare as I know no other passengers have revived compensation.

difficulties, as others have posted were service and some food quality. It is my understanding that on the Feb cruise they are bringing on more help.

The staff did a great job with what they had, they are dedicated and very hard working group of people. 99% of us, the passengers encountered some type of problems and just worked with them. While I cant speak for all, I know most of us had a great time, if its not available, we made up our own and had FUN !!

Like you noted, difficulties arise and you just work with them, all of us were there to be on vacation and have fun and we did. was it 4 or 5 stars, no, but it was one of the best vacations I have had....

Mike

Archived