Taxi to Rendezvous

cascargirl

Been to Rendezvous many times, and overall, no I don't think you will stick out or feel uncomfortable at all - no more than you would at a Sandals! As long as it's cool with the resort, you'll be fine.

As far as walking - it is all along the public highway. There are no alleys or side roads, everything is along the well traveled highway, whether by taxi or foot. While the buildings look rundown, you are in perfectly safe areas, even on your own as you are in very public, widely traveled areas both on foot and vehicle, as it is the highway (one lane each way for the most part). If you do opt for a taxi ride, I would second OT on wanting to see the taxi first. Use only the licensed taxi operators at the ports (at Pointe Seraphine, they are right outside the gate after passing through Diamonds International and are in uniforms), at La PLace Caranage, they are available at the info desk inside near the main entrance, again should be uniformed. Licensed taxi operators have TX license plates. Should be about $10US one way from either port. Or, ask the resort to arrange a driver for you - they would be happy to do so.

All beaches in St. Lucia are public, and as locals, we do enjoy our own beaches. Whether the are "unsavory" is highly subjective as some people associate dreadlocks or somewhat tattered clothing with drugs or "unsavory" behavior, or people who are enjoying the beach during a workday as somehow "unsavory". Not sure what sort of reasons OntarioTraveller may have had for their observations of locals being "unsavory", but the beach itself in front of the resort is patrolled by hotel security and no one will bother you at all along the beach around the resort, if that is a concern. To speak with/interact with any locals along the beach, you would need to head down to the left (when facing the sea) down past the cemetery area and on to main Vigie beach area. Lovely swimming beach actually.

There will be locals along any Sandals beach also, or any beach on the island actually.

Enjoy your visit, whichever you choose!

Thanks again, reedprincess, for your responses. I agree, there is a lot of subjectivity regarding how one views locals on your island, or anywhere for that matter. I, for one, have met some absolutely wonderful people in St. Lucia as well as on every Caribbean island I've visited. I've never once felt uneasy, but only welcomed.

On a down note, however, I did hear back from the Rendezvous, and they will not allow me to purchase a day pass for just myself. I guess it's one of the down sides of traveling solo. Oh well, on to plan B. I just really had my heart set on the Rendezvous. I really wanted a quiet atmosphere. I'll have to research Sandals some more. Or maybe I'll come up with something else to do for the day.

On a down note, however, I did hear back from the Rendezvous, and they will not allow me to purchase a day pass for just myself. I guess it's one of the down sides of traveling solo. Oh well, on to plan B. I just really had my heart set on the Rendezvous. I really wanted a quiet atmosphere. I'll have to research Sandals some more. Or maybe I'll come up with something else to do for the day.

That is really too bad, frankly I am surprised that they wouldn't extend a day pass! Sandals is nice too - a little more active overall, but if quitter and lovely grounds is what you want, then go for Halcyon of the 3. Smaller, quieter overall (although watersports and music by the pool, etc all happening), pretty gardens and so on.

If other options are something your are considering - take a look at Spencer Ambrose's Beach Break - full day beach trip by speed boat down to Jalousie beach right between the Pitons, includes lunch and drinks, etc. You are usually the first ones to the beach, so you have first choice of the free chairs and palapas that Sugar Beach Resort supplies and first crack at the excellent snorkeling. IF you really wanted something special - you could book a massage at the Rainforest Spa at Sugar Beach while there (book ahead) - excellent spa setting and treatments - very relaxing and lovely (ask for Lucita or Duane - they are the best massage therapists) Lovely relaxing day!

Good luck and enjoy wherever you chose!

That is really too bad, frankly I am surprised that they wouldn't extend a day pass! Sandals is nice too - a little more active overall, but if quitter and lovely grounds is what you want, then go for Halcyon of the 3. Smaller, quieter overall (although watersports and music by the pool, etc all happening), pretty gardens and so on.

If other options are something your are considering - take a look at Spencer Ambrose's Beach Break - full day beach trip by speed boat down to Jalousie beach right between the Pitons, includes lunch and drinks, etc. You are usually the first ones to the beach, so you have first choice of the free chairs and palapas that Sugar Beach Resort supplies and first crack at the excellent snorkeling. IF you really wanted something special - you could book a massage at the Rainforest Spa at Sugar Beach while there (book ahead) - excellent spa setting and treatments - very relaxing and lovely (ask for Lucita or Duane - they are the best massage therapists) Lovely relaxing day!

Good luck and enjoy wherever you chose!

Thanks again, reedprincess. Like on so many other threads I've seen, you're so helpful!

I thought about Spencer Ambrose and the Jalousie beach. We stopped to drop people off this past January on our way to the base of Gros Piton when we did Spencer's tour to climb that peak. I'm not a huge snorkeler and the part of the beach relegated to non-guests seemed kind of small and crowded. Maybe I'm mistaken though. I guess I was looking for a little different atmosphere as far as larger beach and pool access, etc.

I'm still gonna consider Sandals, perhaps the Halcyon as you suggest. I still was really, really hoping to avoid taxi rides to and from. Like you, I was quite surprised Rendezvous turned down my request. They were very polite about it, though! One of the reasons I had even considered going there were the rave reviews on cruise critic boards including one from a few months ago written while a group of 3 ladies was actually at the resort on a day pass. Either their policy has since changed or they made an exception for them.

As I understand, though, all beaches in St. Lucia are public, so I suppose there's nothing keeping me from spending the day on the beach where the Rendezvous is? Or maybe I won't be able to gain access to the beach because of the hotel? Obviously I won't have any amenities, but I suppose I can do without. Wear my suit and pack a towel and I suppose I'm good. I always get plenty of food and drink on the cruise ship for sure so definitely won't be missing that! Maybe I'm still missing something?

Uh Oh....

I was going to go to Rendevous with my daughter and my wife.

She is 21 years old.

If they have the "couples only" rule, I may have to change my plans and go to Sandals or look for some type of tour.

That is too bad, I was looking forward to going there.

I am still going to e-mail them and find out.

Don

Uh Oh....

I was going to go to Rendevous with my daughter and my wife.

She is 21 years old.

If they have the "couples only" rule, I may have to change my plans and go to Sandals or look for some type of tour.

That is too bad, I was looking forward to going there.

I am still going to e-mail them and find out.

Don

Just curious what answer you got from Rendezvous regarding your daughter. Someone on my roll call for my upcoming cruise was surprised I got turned down, too. She got a day pass for Rendezvous with her mother in law a while back. Interesting couple...

I'm currently looking into the Sandals resorts, probably the Halcyon. I'm not thrilled about paying more plus now a taxi fare. I'm wondering how far it really is. From downtown where the cruise ship piers are, it looks to be about twice as far as Rendezvous. I think I saw somewhere the taxi fare is $25. I'm assuming that's each way. Seems kinda high to me, especially for just me to have to pay. Not sure if it's walkable or not. I'm sure most would say not, but a couple miles is nothing, as long as it's safe.

Well, good luck with your plans. Check in with what you find out at Rendezvous.

Just curious what answer you got from Rendezvous regarding your daughter. Someone on my roll call for my upcoming cruise was surprised I got turned down, too. She got a day pass for Rendezvous with her mother in law a while back. Interesting couple...

I'm currently looking into the Sandals resorts, probably the Halcyon. I'm not thrilled about paying more plus now a taxi fare. I'm wondering how far it really is. From downtown where the cruise ship piers are, it looks to be about twice as far as Rendezvous. I think I saw somewhere the taxi fare is $25. I'm assuming that's each way. Seems kinda high to me, especially for just me to have to pay. Not sure if it's walkable or not. I'm sure most would say not, but a couple miles is nothing, as long as it's safe.

It's walkable, but would be a very long hot walk. Yes, taxi fare is #25Us each way. Alternatively, you could take the public bus, if you're feeling adventurous and get off right at Sandals. Depending on which dock you are at, it's either right out in front or a short walk to a bus stand for the right bus. Which ship/date are you sailing? I could give bus directions based on that......

Have you checked out your roll call for any other takers? Maybe another solo to make a couple, or another couple to make a "family" so to speak as the one above? Worth a shot.

As far as Jalousie beach - there is no section that is relegated to cruise or non-hotel guests. All beaches in St. Lucia are public - you are more than welcome to enjoy any portion of the beach you like. Patronize the beach bar/restaurant if you like, spread your towel on any portion of beach you like, swim anywhere along the waterfront, etc. Hotel property is theirs of course, but you can rent the padded loungers if you like, etc.

Same goes for Vigie beach, the beach along which Rendezvous is located. There are no real facilities along this beach - no umbrellas or beach chairs, etc. There are plenty of large shade trees along the beach and it's lovely for swimming. There are some rum shacks down near the entrance to the airport for some drinks and local eats. Probably not a great idea to go by yourself, just so you have another pair of eyes to keep an eye on your stuff, the buddy system and all that!

Let me throw one more option out at you...see what you think. Ti Kaye. They offer a day pass, I think it's about $75, they can pick you up at the docks for a small additional amount, price includes beach chair, lunch and drink, snorkeling gear, etc at the resort which is lovely. May be another good option. Or Serenity TVL offers a package day pass at Ti Kaye that for the price includes transportation, a massage, beach chair, lunch, etc. Maybe check them out?

Good luck with your research and decision. There are more options I can throw out there too if you need some other options.....enjoy your visit!

It's walkable, but would be a very long hot walk. Yes, taxi fare is #25Us each way. Alternatively, you could take the public bus, if you're feeling adventurous and get off right at Sandals. Depending on which dock you are at, it's either right out in front or a short walk to a bus stand for the right bus. Which ship/date are you sailing? I could give bus directions based on that......

Have you checked out your roll call for any other takers? Maybe another solo to make a couple, or another couple to make a "family" so to speak as the one above? Worth a shot.

As far as Jalousie beach - there is no section that is relegated to cruise or non-hotel guests. All beaches in St. Lucia are public - you are more than welcome to enjoy any portion of the beach you like. Patronize the beach bar/restaurant if you like, spread your towel on any portion of beach you like, swim anywhere along the waterfront, etc. Hotel property is theirs of course, but you can rent the padded loungers if you like, etc.

Same goes for Vigie beach, the beach along which Rendezvous is located. There are no real facilities along this beach - no umbrellas or beach chairs, etc. There are plenty of large shade trees along the beach and it's lovely for swimming. There are some rum shacks down near the entrance to the airport for some drinks and local eats. Probably not a great idea to go by yourself, just so you have another pair of eyes to keep an eye on your stuff, the buddy system and all that!

Let me throw one more option out at you...see what you think. Ti Kaye. They offer a day pass, I think it's about $75, they can pick you up at the docks for a small additional amount, price includes beach chair, lunch and drink, snorkeling gear, etc at the resort which is lovely. May be another good option. Or Serenity TVL offers a package day pass at Ti Kaye that for the price includes transportation, a massage, beach chair, lunch, etc. Maybe check them out?

Good luck with your research and decision. There are more options I can throw out there too if you need some other options.....enjoy your visit!

Thanks again, reedprincess! You're a great ambassador to your island with your wealth of information.

I must sound like such a picky person, but really just want to make the most of my day on the beautiful island of St. Lucia! I think I've decided to do the Sandals Halcyon, but haven't pulled the trigger just yet. Assuming, THEY will allow a "solo" it seems to fit my criteria for the most part. I had looked into Ti Kaye resort and as I'm not a big snorkeler (and already have other ports planned for snorkeling) and don't care for spas, it didn't look as appealing. Looked as though a day pass doesn't really allow access to the pool and resort grounds, just the beach area.

The Sandals Halcyon looks good with the pools, beach, loungers, drinks, etc. The only downside is probably the higher cost, but it's fine. I'm on the Adventure of the Seas in St. Lucia on Dec. 5. Do you know where we dock? I've sailed Celebrity more recently and don't remember where Royal Caribbean docks in Castries. This probably won't make a difference in terms of a taxi, but if I consider the bus, perhaps.

One last question, you mentioned if I went to Vigie Beach, not to go alone so as to have someone to help watch my stuff, etc. Would you have the same advice if I'm going to a Sandals Resort? I will obviously be alone. I'm ok with that, and actually kind of look forward to it, but do you think it's all ok?

Still feel kind of weird going to such a picturesque island with so many things to see, but then just going to the beach. I'll definitely miss seeing the Pitons, but guess I've seen them from many points on land, from the ship, from a catamaran, from the base of Gros Piton on the beach, as well as from the TOP of Gros Piton. They really are quite a site. Very beautiful!

Thanks again for all the advice.

The Sandals Halcyon looks good with the pools, beach, loungers, drinks, etc. The only downside is probably the higher cost, but it's fine. I'm on the Adventure of the Seas in St. Lucia on Dec. 5. Do you know where we dock? I've sailed Celebrity more recently and don't remember where Royal Caribbean docks in Castries. This probably won't make a difference in terms of a taxi, but if I consider the bus, perhaps.

One last question, you mentioned if I went to Vigie Beach, not to go alone so as to have someone to help watch my stuff, etc. Would you have the same advice if I'm going to a Sandals Resort? I will obviously be alone. I'm ok with that, and actually kind of look forward to it, but do you think it's all ok?

Thanks again for all the advice.

AotS will be docking at Pointe Seraphine on the 5th Dec. Very easy to catch a bus from there to Halcyon if you want. Simply walk out the complex, along the entrance road past the fishing complex, up to the gas station (Rubis). Once at the Rubis intersection (which is the intersection with the highway) take a left along the highway and walk about 10 feet or so and then flag down a bus. Bus are 14-seater mini-vans with "M" license plates. The only ones along that route there will be going towards the north past Gros Islet. The route should also be across the hood or top of the window, but all the busses that side are heading that direction (they don't head for different routes again till past Halcyon). You flag them down like you would a taxi. If the driver has space, he will stop for you. Tell the driver you are stopping at Halcyon and he'll stop at the bus stand right by it. A bus will cost about $1US one way. They do not run on any schedule (they leave their terminals when they are full), so taking one up is no problem, but you may want to consider a taxi for the way back just to be on time.

As far as not heading to Vigie alone - that's simple common sense. A Resort setting is different. At Sandals, there are people all around, security, staff, etc so leaving your stuff on a lounge chair at the pool while you dip in the sea or the like is common and there are people around to keep an eye on stuff. On a local beach with no resort and no friend with you, as anywhere in the world, you are taking a chance leaving your belongings just sitting out, and having a buddy along is always a good idea. At a resort, especially a self-contained AI, the staff, security and other guests are your "buddy", so to speak.

Hope that helps, enjoy your visit whatever you end up doing.

AotS will be docking at Pointe Seraphine on the 5th Dec. Very easy to catch a bus from there to Halcyon if you want. Simply walk out the complex, along the entrance road past the fishing complex, up to the gas station (Rubis). Once at the Rubis intersection (which is the intersection with the highway) take a left along the highway and walk about 10 feet or so and then flag down a bus. Bus are 14-seater mini-vans with "M" license plates. The only ones along that route there will be going towards the north past Gros Islet. The route should also be across the hood or top of the window, but all the busses that side are heading that direction (they don't head for different routes again till past Halcyon). You flag them down like you would a taxi. If the driver has space, he will stop for you. Tell the driver you are stopping at Halcyon and he'll stop at the bus stand right by it. A bus will cost about $1US one way. They do not run on any schedule (they leave their terminals when they are full), so taking one up is no problem, but you may want to consider a taxi for the way back just to be on time.

As far as not heading to Vigie alone - that's simple common sense. A Resort setting is different. At Sandals, there are people all around, security, staff, etc so leaving your stuff on a lounge chair at the pool while you dip in the sea or the like is common and there are people around to keep an eye on stuff. On a local beach with no resort and no friend with you, as anywhere in the world, you are taking a chance leaving your belongings just sitting out, and having a buddy along is always a good idea. At a resort, especially a self-contained AI, the staff, security and other guests are your "buddy", so to speak.

Hope that helps, enjoy your visit whatever you end up doing.

Just got off the phone with Sandals. They must have recently changed how they do their day passes a little bit. I was quoted the day pass as being $130 but that includes transfers to/from the cruise ship pier. For just me, I suppose it's a good deal as my RT transport will only cost me $30 then. I was just surprised as I was expecting to make my own way there.

Also, I didn't realize that once my ship leaves it's initial departure port (San Juan on 12/1) there are no refunds. Do you know if that's the norm? I thought I would just pay when I got there and not have to give my credit card info. ahead of time.

• 1 month later...
Rendezvous always has been, and still is, very flexible on times... many times have asked to change the half day hours to 10-4 and have had no problem at all - we have just had to promise to not eat breakfast at the resort, as at 10 am they are still serving breakfast. Not a problem, just ate before hand and enjoyed the pool/beach in the meantime, a few cocktails, lunch and such and then took off at 4. Just speak with them - usually helps to give a quick call and verify the person's name you speak with, but email can work also. Enjoy.

This has changed - they are now enforcing the times. We were looking for only 4 hrs with a 9am arrival, just lunch and clear out by 1. They are not bending . . frustrating!

This has changed - they are now enforcing the times. We were looking for only 4 hrs with a 9am arrival, just lunch and clear out by 1. They are not bending . . frustrating!

Did you try to make arrangements ahead of time? I emailed them a couple of weeks before sailing, and asked for specific hours. They were very nice about it, and reserved those exact hours for me.

Did you try to make arrangements ahead of time? I emailed them a couple of weeks before sailing, and asked for specific hours. They were very nice about it, and reserved those exact hours for me.

Yes, we have been emailing back and forth for the last few days about my upcoming visit in Feb.

Interesting, we are planning on spending the day at the end of February. We asked for 9 am to 3 pm and no problem for $65 each. That is pretty close to what you were asking for.

Did you try that. They like to book in the 6 hour time block I think.

We were there last year as well and they did track when you stayed. We had to have a written (copy of email) reservation or the taxis knew not to even bring us there.

We had a good day there!

Edited by OntarioTraveller

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully someone will know the answer to this question before I present this as an option for our group. I will have 3-4 couples going one of the couples is a lesbian couple. Are they counted as a couple here or is this strictly a male/female couples resort?

Thanks

I just found my answer, if anyone else needs the info here it is from their web site:

http://www.theromanticholiday.com/rendezvous-good-choice-gay-or-lesbian-couples

Edited by gracie65

Interesting, we are planning on spending the day at the end of February. We asked for 9 am to 3 pm and no problem for $65 each. That is pretty close to what you were asking for.

Did you try that. They like to book in the 6 hour time block I think.

We were there last year as well and they did track when you stayed. We had to have a written (copy of email) reservation or the taxis knew not to even bring us there.

We had a good day there!

Do you have the email of who you contacted?

I emailed angus@theromanticholiday.com

He did reply quickly....

Thanks so much, I did hear back from Angus. I will post the email next just to update anyone following the thread how the times are working. I have since emailed him back to ask about the drinks what it includes. Do you know if it's alcoholic beverages?

Email from Angus:

Thank you for your interest in the Rendezvous. In regards to your request for day passes at the hotel the following now applies. Half day pass (Morning) Includes Breakfast, Drinks and use of resort facilities from 8:00am to 12 noon. Cost US$49.00 Half day pass (afternoon) Includes Lunch, Afternoon tea, Drinks and use of resort facilities from 12 noon to 6:00pm cost US$65.00. We will be happy to amend the time to meet your requested time. You can settle the charges at the Reception on arrival after we have confirmed the passes. While we endeavour to serve all our customers in the best manner, we are a couples only hotel and offer the Rendezvous experience in a tranquil environment of peace and relaxation. To this end we wish that all groups enjoy the hotel whiles keeping others guest in mind. The hotel is located 5 minutes from the ports via taxi and cost US$10.00. Passes exclude use of scuba facilities and motorized water sports. Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us.. Please be advised that reservation are needed for final confirmation, you need to e-mail your acceptance of one of the passes so we can make the final reservation. Numbers are limited and booked on a first come first basic also the number of people coming with you and the date is most important, prior to confirmation. Please note that we are an adult only, all inclusive couples only resort.

No, they would not allow me to purchase the day pass because of my daughter.

We went to Sandals Halcyon and had a wonderful day (including breakfast and lunch) and great drinks and very nice guests at the resort who asked me to do tequila shots with them at the bar! :D

Don