All you wanted to know about Kummelweck sandwiches.

Hypo

Great video and sandwich.

One inaccuracy, Beef on Weck didn't start on Oasis -- it started in Buffalo, NY.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_on_weck_sandwich

Buffalo's most famous bar food is, of course, the chicken wing but Beef on weck is the best bar food. I guess the secret is out now.

Royal chefs did an incredible job recreating this sandwich. Even the horseradish is the same fresh ground like Miller's found in the farmers market here -- not some knock off horseradish sauce.

Trivia: Kummelweck rolls only stay fresh for one day because the salt drys them out. If you want beef on weck, you need to bake the rolls yourself. No one manufacturers and prepackages them because they don't last.

One inaccuracy, Beef on Weck didn't start on Oasis -- it started in Buffalo, NY.

Buffalo's most famous bar food is, of course, the chicken wing but Beef on weck is the best bar food. I guess the secret is out now.

Royal chefs did an incredible job recreating this sandwich. Even the horseradish is the same fresh ground like Miller's found in the farmers market here -- not some knock off horseradish sauce.

Trivia: Kummelweck rolls only stay fresh for one day because the salt drys them out. If you want beef on weck, you need to bake the rolls yourself. No one manufacturers and prepackages them because they don't last.

I enjoyed a few of those when I was in Buffalo for a conference in June. They were delicious! :)

Slices of slow-roasted beef, flavored with secret seasonings and sliced to perfection create Royal Caribbean's signature... mmm Sandwiches..

i eat sandwiches everyday pretty much as work and i hate them but I will go for one of these when I am on the allure for sure

Exactly what I was thinking! I thought it was a Buffalo thing! :-)

I wonder if because of language barriers he meant - as he said it started on Oasis for RCCL ships. I don't think (or I hope) he implies it was invented on Oasis.

Oh how I miss my beef on weck sandwiches. We left Buffalo in 1980 and just the mention of the sandwich makes my mouth water.

And who could ever forget the Anchor Bar, home of the original Buffalo wings?

Hence the third W in BW3's, originally, Buffalo Wild Wings and Weck.

So is this fantastic sandwich served poolside (wipe out cafe), inside, promenade or ????. also, is it only the first day of the cruise, or all week? We discovered these on the Oasis and ate at the Park Cafe everyday.

So far, the sandwich has only been served in Park Cafe. It has been available every day. Many ships are getting a Park Cafe, but there are some notable exceptions, such as Freedom class, Mariner, Majesty, and Monarch. So it's not known yet where the sandwich will be served on those ships without a Park Cafe.

Unfortunately I don't like KümmelWeck (but the beef and the horseradish is delicious) , my Husband like the BoW:rolleyes:

So 'I' scrub the Kümmel and salt and I can eat ;).

We here in Germany have a lot of different kinds of bread and 'wecks/roll'

My DH and I love 'Laugeweck' (=> the roll taste like a pretzel)

My mom's family is from Niagara Falls and nothing was better than dinner every Sunday after church being Beef on Wick. I have made the 4 hour drive from Ohio more than once over the years to get my fix :D

Archived