Post drydock of the Zuiderdam

bobpell

Contemplating a cruise just after a ship's dry dock then read the reviews posted on CC.

The "signature of Excellence" bar is now set at an all time low.

Peruse the schedule prior to booking for sure!!

It was a minimal dry dock with basically the hull painted and a few new areas of carpet (not the entire ship by any means, but some carpet placed in common areas). The furniture in our suite was very old and scuffed, bath tub leaked, there was a hole in the bottom of the tub and read my review of the filthy balcony issue.

I never had a cleanliness issue with a HAL ship until our week on the Zuiderdam so I'm convinced it is a poor management issue and a severe shortage in crew help. The Zuiderdam needs a major renovation. The decor is quite outdated and it has a long way to go to get it up to 2012 standards. I will never cruise on the Zuiderdam again. I don't like paying a lot of money for a sub-par experience.

Absolutely agree and would take it one step further.

We avoid the first two after dry dock and we would never consider an inaugural cruise.

I was aboard the Noordam Inaugural Cruise. It was wonderful.

I was aboard the Eurodam Inaugural Cruise. It left a lot to be desired. The service was poor, the food was excellent but inconsistent and declined significantly once the VIPs were off the ship (after the 3-day pre-cruise, on which we were treated like unwanted guests). The ship had a lot of mechanical problems ... shower assemblies coming off the wall and falling on the floor, toilets overflowing, AC malfunctioning so that one cabin is a ice-box while the next door neighbor is an oven, etc. I understand the quality improved, but it left such a bad taste in my mouth that I've not been back aboard the Eurodam since her Inaugural cruise. I'm due aboard this July, however ... so, we'll see.

A follow up visit on this site by Dr Bichon who wrote the first review after the dry dock would be helpful in sharing the followup diagnosis on the "contaminated water" that was mentioned!!

Abandoning ship in Aruba after two days gives a bad prognosis on... after dry dock cruises for sure.

We just got off the Zuiderdam. Very disapointed... I will share the complete voage once I get home.

Hey there! It was nice meeting you at the Meet & Greet. Dh and I were thinking of you during the 2nd leg of your cruise. Looking forward to your review.

We were on the 2nd cruise post dry dock (the Christmas cruise).

Something I just remembered after reading Dr. Bichon's review - One night in the MDR there was an ant crawling ON our table. I can't stand ants! And, I know there is never just one ant. I hate to think of how it was where food was stored. :eek:

We were on Zuiderdam in Alaska 4 years ago and she was starting to look a bit frayed around the edges even then. Unless there's been a major refurb since then I totally believe the issues currently being reported aren't exaggerations or "HAL bashing" although I'm sure the cheerleaders will disagree ;)

We were on Zuiderdam in Alaska 4 years ago and she was starting to look a bit frayed around the edges even then. Unless there's been a major refurb since then I totally believe the issues currently being reported aren't exaggerations or "HAL bashing" although I'm sure the cheerleaders will disagree ;)

Well I am a cheerleader and I would agree that there are some major issues which need to be addressed.

Archived