Any Connecticut Hotels with Free long term parking

bedfordmom

Sailing on the Miracle in Feb, I was thinking of overnighting on the Connecticut side (we are coming in from Mass) near the trains to leave our car for the eight night cruise (especially if the weather is bad) I am thinking of Stamford due to familiarity with the area but are receptive to other towns.

I see some suggestions in New Jersey. Does anyone know of decent hotels on the Connecticut side, near the trains to NYC with free parking for the length of the cruise.

Typically the Connecticut hotels are not on the park/ cruise radar. You'd have to call the individual hotels to check. Stamford is tight on parking and some hotels charge for it just for an overnight. The Courtyard Rye is right next to the Rye train station, so that could be an option. You might find more options if you went further up the line towards New Haven.

I just tried to search through Marriott because I know the promo code for the park and go rate, and no luck. There is plenty of parking in bridgeport near the train station so that might be a better option then trying to find a hotel, but it is bridgeport. Not a lot of places on the CT line have day parking/overnight parking because of all the commuters. You may have to go to port chester to find parking.

The New York port is different than other ports. All the park/sleeps are at Newark Airport or LaGuardia Airport, not Manhattan.

Thanks. We are planning on driving in, I just wanted a Plan B in case we get bad snow the night before.

Although not in CT, a Marriott in IL had a very low rate to just park our car there since DH is a rewards club member. IIRC, it was $50 for 17 days.

Would never happen in New England. The best offsite airport parking for that long would still be around $150.

Good thinking. I come from Mass and I also have a plan B in case of snow. I've got my fingers crossed that Feb 1 is a clear day.

138East:

What is your plan B for February. I have thought of taking the bus to NYC from Alewife or Newton (equidistant from both) but between that extended parking; rt bus tix for 4; transportation from bus to port (plus those stresses); wasn't really worth it. So I thought an overnight stay would be less stressful.

I, too, am looking for a hotel in the Stamford area that has a park & cruise/fly option for our Breakaway cruise out of NYC. We will be driving from SE MA.

We usually drive to Long Island after an overnight in Stamford area, but our "free parking" at a friend's home is no longer an option - sold the house in Garden City, so it's time to search. I have not been happy with ENT Tours since they have been taken over by Academy, but that's my back up plan if all else fails.

So far, the Hyatt in Stamford looks like a possibility, with a small daily fee for extended parking. We like to get as close to NYC as possible the day before and dine at a great Italian restaurant in the immediate area. Sadly, I do not have any amenity points with Hyatt to mitigate the prices. All of the Marriott hotels are quite pricey, and parking is also very costly in spite of all my reward points. Just trying to avoid traffic in/out of NYC and paying for parking on the pier.

Until the cruise, I'll keep searching.

Darcy

I, too, am looking for a hotel in the Stamford area that has a park & cruise/fly option for our Breakaway cruise out of NYC. We will be driving from SE MA.

We usually drive to Long Island after an overnight in Stamford area, but our "free parking" at a friend's home is no longer an option - sold the house in Garden City, so it's time to search. I have not been happy with ENT Tours since they have been taken over by Academy, but that's my back up plan if all else fails.

So far, the Hyatt in Stamford looks like a possibility, with a small daily fee for extended parking. We like to get as close to NYC as possible the day before and dine at a great Italian restaurant in the immediate area. Sadly, I do not have any amenity points with Hyatt to mitigate the prices. All of the Marriott hotels are quite pricey, and parking is also very costly in spite of all my reward points. Just trying to avoid traffic in/out of NYC and paying for parking on the pier.

Until the cruise, I'll keep searching.

Darcy

I have stayed at the Hyatt and it was lovely but the parking fees looked high (did they have a special rate for extended parking?) When I stayed there more than a year ago, we won it on Priceline for a reasonable price. It was close to the station; that too was high to get into the city; (about 20$ roundtrip per person) Since there was four of us at the time, it was cheaper for us to park in the city for the day ($40)

Given the high room rate; parking fees; train for four people and then cab to the port; it may be less expensive for us to drive and park at the port.

My plan B is flexible and would depend on the quality of the weather event. I am traveling solo so that gives me a lot of flexibility. If the storm is not supposed to be too bad in NY, I would take the train down and stay at my neice's in Larchmont NY. From there I can go the public transit route of train to NYC, cab to Path, Path to Hoboken or Newport, light rail to Bayonne and cab into the port. I've done this before, so I know it's possible. For a bad storm I would take the train to Newark, get a hotel and somehow make my way to the port the next day. I also have the flexibility to leave early and work remotely for a day, so I have lots of options. I've paid for the bus, so I would take it back to Braintree and get picked up by my husband or son. It's all a crap shoot in the winter, but I've been doing this for 7 years.

138East:

What is your plan B for February. I have thought of taking the bus to NYC from Alewife or Newton (equidistant from both) but between that extended parking; rt bus tix for 4; transportation from bus to port (plus those stresses); wasn't really worth it. So I thought an overnight stay would be less stressful.

Check out Hyatt Place in Secaucus. Folks have reported being able to just leave their car there while they went on a cruise. This is not something they offer, but I know folks have called around to the Secaucus hotels to make private parking arrangements.

1025, have you called a Marriott in CT to ask what the parking rate would be for one of their Rewards Club members or are you just making an assumption?

I'm making an assumption. If I could pay $50 for 17 nights for parking while I'm away, I'd be jumping on it. I'm lucky that I can find a place to park for 7 days in the Boston area (including Providence) that is under $100.

Check out Hyatt Place in Secaucus. Folks have reported being able to just leave their car there while they went on a cruise. This is not something they offer, but I know folks have called around to the Secaucus hotels to make private parking arrangements.

I talked with the Hyatt Place and they said that guests can leave their cars at the hotel at their risk. It looks like they have buses running from the front of the hotel to the Times Square Port Authority Station. How far is it from that station to the Port?

Well pretty much any place you leave your car is at your own risk. Some places are better than others.

Port Authority Bus Terminal is about 12 city blocks and 4 avenues from the pier, which means it is really close and a inexpensive cab ride. Folks have posted that they had no problem walking it.

If you're looking to stay in Connecticut and take the train, why not look into Metro North parking. I lived on the Hudson Division and the daily rate in our parking garage was chump change compared to in a city and weekends and holidays were free. Google up Metro North Parking and the page gives you a list of all stations and a phone number to call for pricing information. Then you could stay at a hotel and not have to worry about free parking and get a cheaper hotel if you need it. Just get to the station EARLY as many of these commuter lots fill up fast.

It is my experience that commuter lots do not allow overnight parking, at least in the Boston area. I recently did an overnight to New York and had to drive closer in to get to a station with parking instead of taking the commuter rail in to South Station to get on Amtrak there, due to not being allowed to park overnight.

It is my experience that commuter lots do not allow overnight parking, at least in the Boston area. I recently did an overnight to New York and had to drive closer in to get to a station with parking instead of taking the commuter rail in to South Station to get on Amtrak there, due to not being allowed to park overnight.

The Route 128 station is Westwood has a parking garage that allows overnight parking. From there you can take the commuter rail into Boston or Amtrak to NYC.

Yes, that garage is an exception though, because of Amtrak.

My local commuter rail lot does not allow overnight parking. In fact, on my trip I did park at 128.

I once heard that Alewife allows overnight parking for only 7 days.

Archived