Star Flyer Cabin Questions

SakeDad

OK...forgive me in advance, please.:o I have worked on ships, been a passenger AND was a travel agent so I get a bit anal about cabin choices.

I already know on a Star Clipper I won't be in my cabin much...BUT...having said that, I see there are some differences on the deck plans that seem to make some a BIT better than others. I know I want to be midship due to seas (which really are never an issue for us but still...) So having said that, here are the cabins I would love to get info on from folks that have sailed in them and if you saw any differance between them and other cabins....THANKS:D

Cat 2 - 322/325 (by the dining room....noise?) 334/337

Cat 3 - 108/109/110/111

Cat 4 - 126/129/128/131

Cat 5 - 300/301 (read good things already, love to see pics)

• 2 weeks later...

We were in 301 on the Star Clipper and loved it but it's not for everyone. We went with this cabin because we didn't want to do an inside cabin and didn't want to pay the price of a Cat. 4. I liked that off the main deck you want down one flight of stairs and then up one small flight of steps (I hope I'm recalling this right) so we felt like we had our own private area. The door beyond opened up to the crew quarters and at first I thought that might be an issue with noise from the coming and going of the crew but it never was.

The downside is that it is a small cabin. If I was opening up the closet door to get something out, my husband had to stand in the bathroom to stay out of my way. And the bed is raised about 4 feet off the ground. This was definitely an issue for some of our older friends but my husband and I were fine with it (we're in our 60's--they were in their 80's). And the bed is up against the bulkhead. There is a ladder attached to the bed but I ended up stepping up using the desk stool. And there is a porthole, no window. For one person, it's fine, for two it's a little close but if we ever sail on the Star Clipper/Flyer again, I would be tempted to get that cabin and save the money for shore excursions. I'll try and post a picture if I can find it.

I just noticed that you also sailed on the Mandalay. As you can see, we sailed on her 4 times (below deck, twice in an Admiral suite and once in the back deck cabin) and loved every trip. You do know that she's back sailing, don't you? You can check her out at sailwindjammer.com. I would love to sail on her again but they are only offering 6 day cruises. If you do a back to back on the Royal Clipper, you cover most of the islands that the 13 day Mandalay did. Maybe some day.

We have stayed in cabin 334 on the Star Clipper, which is exactly the same as the Star Flyer. Nice sized cabin, double bed at floor level, all cabins only have a port hole for a window, except the main deck cabins. About the same problem with the entry area with the closet doors as mentioned before, but this wasn't a big problem for us. I didn't have a problem with motion but the Treasure Islands are rather calm. The bed faces head to stern so there is a possibility of needing the railings, which they hide under the mattress and do not tell you that they are there, as the ship rolls side to side. There was always a slight motor noise which I was told was the generator not the engine, so it never stops. As the Captain announced one evening, we sail as often as possible so the engine is sometimes off but you have ice cream for dessert so the generator is always on. We just returned from another sailing on the Clipper and this time we opted for cabin 345. A bit smaller, less open floor space and the bed is off the floor. It felt like the bathroom was a touch larger, but I might be wrong. All the bathrooms are small. Since this cabin is located on the fan tail, up off the water, there was no extra noise. Also, the bed faces starboard to port so you do not roll out of bed. The Leeward Islands had high winds the whole time and we did a lot of rocking and rolling but I never felt like I was going to roll out of bed, like some others complained about. I've peaked in to a few other cabins and they are all pretty close in layout. The on deck cabins have more room and a bath tub, which personally I think is the silliest thing. Why would you slosh around in a tub when the ocean, and even the pool is right outside your door?:confused: We have also been inside the Owner's Cabin, which is beautiful and very big, but most certainly not worth the extra money. On our first cruise there was a problem with the plumbing for the toilets and the 100's deck did not smell good. We never had a problem on the 300's deck. This last cruise some smart person put a wash cloth down the toilet and the lower deck had trouble again. My recommendation is cabin 345, or 342 across the hall, which is a cat 5 on the 300's deck. Small, efficient and a money saver for sure. Just have it available for ME when we book it next time!! I have pics of 345 but do not know how to attach them.

:D

You do know that she's back sailing, don't you? You can check her out at sailwindjammer.com.

I did see that. But as it takes 16 hours to get to the Caribbean from Vegas we probably won't sail her again. But as we loved sailing so much we are using miles to Costa Rica 1st Class so it shouldn't be too bad. We are very grateful we did go on her though.

We have stayed in cabin 334 on the Star Clipper, which is exactly the same as the Star Flyer. Nice sized cabin, double bed at floor level, all cabins only have a port hole for a window, except the main deck cabins. About the same problem with the entry area with the closet doors as mentioned before, but this wasn't a big problem for us. I didn't have a problem with motion but the Treasure Islands are rather calm. The bed faces head to stern so there is a possibility of needing the railings, which they hide under the mattress and do not tell you that they are there, as the ship rolls side to side. There was always a slight motor noise which I was told was the generator not the engine, so it never stops. As the Captain announced one evening, we sail as often as possible so the engine is sometimes off but you have ice cream for dessert so the generator is always on. We just returned from another sailing on the Clipper and this time we opted for cabin 345. A bit smaller, less open floor space and the bed is off the floor. It felt like the bathroom was a touch larger, but I might be wrong. All the bathrooms are small. Since this cabin is located on the fan tail, up off the water, there was no extra noise. Also, the bed faces starboard to port so you do not roll out of bed. The Leeward Islands had high winds the whole time and we did a lot of rocking and rolling but I never felt like I was going to roll out of bed, like some others complained about. I've peaked in to a few other cabins and they are all pretty close in layout. The on deck cabins have more room and a bath tub, which personally I think is the silliest thing. Why would you slosh around in a tub when the ocean, and even the pool is right outside your door?:confused: We have also been inside the Owner's Cabin, which is beautiful and very big, but most certainly not worth the extra money. On our first cruise there was a problem with the plumbing for the toilets and the 100's deck did not smell good. We never had a problem on the 300's deck. This last cruise some smart person put a wash cloth down the toilet and the lower deck had trouble again. My recommendation is cabin 345, or 342 across the hall, which is a cat 5 on the 300's deck. Small, efficient and a money saver for sure. Just have it available for ME when we book it next time!! I have pics of 345 but do not know how to attach them.

We booked 334 for now. It's a group cruise and Cat 5 isn't covered and is actually a lot more $$$ than Cat 2. Who knew?! LOL. Is it really bigger than the other cabins (even a little) as it looks on the Deck Plan or is that just an illusion. Is there another Cat 2 cabin you would recommend over 334? I would love to see your pics!:D Thanks for the great info.

• 1 month later...
OK...forgive me in advance, please.:o I have worked on ships, been a passenger AND was a travel agent so I get a bit anal about cabin choices.

I already know on a Star Clipper I won't be in my cabin much...BUT...having said that, I see there are some differences on the deck plans that seem to make some a BIT better than others. I know I want to be midship due to seas (which really are never an issue for us but still...) So having said that, here are the cabins I would love to get info on from folks that have sailed in them and if you saw any differance between them and other cabins....THANKS:D

Cat 2 - 322/325 (by the dining room....noise?) 334/337

Cat 3 - 108/109/110/111

Cat 4 - 126/129/128/131

Cat 5 - 300/301 (read good things already, love to see pics)

Well, howdy, Nathan! I'm considering Star Clippers for a future Mediterranean cruise, and look who else is windjammin'! I hope you can help me convince Diane that the Greek islands and Turkish coast can be better enjoyed by small ship than by big ship... :cool:

We did 4 Mandalay's in the Caribbean, the Star Clipper from Athens to Venice and recently the Ocean Princess (700 passengers) from Barcelona to Athens. Hands down, love the smaller ships. We had a great time on the Star Clipper and I would highly recommend it. It's nice going into the smaller ports that the big ships can't go into. It's just a much more relaxing, laid back type of cruise.

At this point I only want to do smaller ships. I have no desire to do the larger "bingo here, movie there, hurry back onboard" kind of ships anymore unless I'm crew. Really looking forward to the December voyage.:D

...on the Star Clipper for 14 days (Caribbean B2B).

Our cabin, 306 was amidships and close to the DR with no noise noted.

Here's a link to some pix:

https://picasaweb.google.com/prescottbob412

Have a Great Cruise!

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

Bob, I'm loving the pics!! Thanks so much for sharing. :D

Well, howdy, Nathan! I'm considering Star Clippers for a future Mediterranean cruise, and look who else is windjammin'! I hope you can help me convince Diane that the Greek islands and Turkish coast can be better enjoyed by small ship than by big ship... :cool:

Well, you could always join us in December and once she is addicted to sailing she won't go back to the big ships! :p

We just got off the Star Clipper and would advise against any of the Cat 4 - 126/129/128/131 cabins you listed. 131 is the farthest aft passenger cabin available. All cabins past this point belong to the crew and have engine/generator noise. We were in 129 and would rather have a quiet Cat 6 then deal with the problem again.

Mjdenn

Archived