Dress Code Offenders

Boobaby

Yes³

One mark of a true gentleman or lady is that they do not take notice of others who happen to be under-dressed.

Im with you on that one!:)

And......to those that choose to under-dress.....Thanks!! Your making us that do dress up look HOT!!!!:p

John:

Thanks for the heads up about "Stripes" vs. "Police Academy". You are exactly right. My mistake.

Tomm, I was rolling on the floor reading your responses. I would like to share a big table in the formal dining room with you on a cruise, along with some of the other, more discerning posters on this board. It would be great to just sit back and watch!

Actually, I have been on 3 HAL cruises so far and I have never seen the dress code violated on formal or informal nights. Maybe I just haven't been observant enough, but every woman I saw was decked out to the nines, and every man had on either a tux or a business suit. However, on my one and only, first and last cruise on the Carnival Conquest... oh holy mackerel. Formal night for a lot of folks was jeans and the cleanest t-shirt they could find on the floor. One woman came to a formal afternoon Tea in her bikini and wrap-around. I wasn't there to see it, but man oh man you should have heard my wife talk about it.

I feel that HAL should keep a small supply of dinner jackets that they could give to a dress code violator. This is commonly done in many of the upscale restaurants and clubs that require a jacket.

Is this really such a problem anyway? Judging by this thread, everyone is so up in arms about it, and nobody will admit to violating the code. I'll bet I don't see one problem with this on the Zui when I sail on June 18. Yeah, baby... 15 more days and counting down!!!!

Should people who dress informally on formal dining nights be told to leave?

Should people wearing jeans or jogging suits at any dining room dinner be told to leave?

Should men be told to remove their hats in the dining room?

I think so, do you?

I think the dress codes should be enforced for dinner, but I think they should be relaxed a bit during the day. What's the problem if someone comes into the dining room in shorts and a tee-shirt during the day? What's the problem if someone is wearing a tank top at lunch?

But, yeah, in the main dining room ... as long as we all support the cruiselines with fixed dress codes (i.e., sail them), then we have to abide by the dress codes for dinner.

On a related note, I think even the dinner dress codes need to be relaxed on the first night of the cruise (if luggage delivery is running late and there are people at early seating who have not gotten all their luggage delivered by the time they were due in the dining room. And, also, the last night of the cruise ... if luggage has to be out in the hallway before dinner (as is the case on Princess ... I'm not sure about HAL), then jeans in the dining room are gonna have to be accepted on that night as well. People will likely want to wear to dinner whatever it is they are planning on wearing home the next morning.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Boy, this is another hot tamale subject.

Sorry to all the fancy pants, but I'm with General Max and Lucky Girl on this one. If you like to dress up, then knock yourself out. I follow the dress code because I choose to do so and it is kind of fun to get dressed up for no reason sometimes, somehow. But do I care if a bunch of guys on vacation want to wear their ballcaps and be goofs at their table? Like the guy said on Police Acadamy: "Lighten up, Frances!"

Probably the same guys that don't follow the dress code also are the booze smugglers. Ooops, I opened up another can of tamales. ¡Adiós!

The movie was "Stripes" with Bill Murray

I am retired and prefer to dress like a slob most of the time, but I do recognize there are times that coat and tie or suit are appropreate. When I choose to go someplace that has rules, honor requires that I follow those rules. I know that there are those that are in the "screw you, I do what I want crowd", but I don't associate much with that bunch.

...dress like a slob most of the time, but I do recognize there are times that coat and tie or suit are appropreate. When I choose to go someplace that has rules, honor requires that I follow those rules

Mr Ranger, I'm not retired but I think the same way you do.

If you ask anyone who's been on a ship with me, they can tell you

that I 'clean up well' :cool:

Shorts, t-shirt, or something similiar are great for daytime.

And if I'm asked to wear a tie to dinner, I come prepared.

Everyone should know the difference between 'beach wear' and evening clothes......

So, to those who don't have any sensibility or sense of etiquette, y'all don't mind if i just keep on my bathing suit (after all it is a suit & black) to eat dinner in do you? I have a matching sarong (wrap) and I am sure my diamond pendant & earrings will go nicely too.

maddie .... what an interesting visual!

:D

We should sit at the same table, and for formal nights, you in that ensemble.... and I'll go for that 'surfer look'

winged-collar shirt (of course, it's formal night) :cool:

jacket, and my baggies with flip-flops :D

If that doesn't work, there's always my coconut bra, and grass skirt.

;)

I think the dress codes should be enforced for dinner, but I think they should be relaxed a bit during the day. What's the problem if someone comes into the dining room in shorts and a tee-shirt during the day? What's the problem if someone is wearing a tank top at lunch?

I always wear shorts and a tee shirt to breakfast in the dining room. Where does Hal publish that you cannot?

On a related note, I think even the dinner dress codes need to be relaxed on the first night of the cruise (if luggage delivery is running late and there are people at early seating who have not gotten all their luggage delivered by the time they were due in the dining room. And, also, the last night of the cruise ... if luggage has to be out in the hallway before dinner (as is the case on Princess ... I'm not sure about HAL), then jeans in the dining room are gonna have to be accepted on that night as well.

This isn't Princess. :)

I am aware of other cruise lines delivering luggage late but Hal is very good about it. I never heard a complaint about luggage being delivered late but I am sure there is someone out there that would have a complaint. On the last night of the cruise luggage does not have to be in the hallway until around midnight.

I don't see why jeans would have to be acceptable in either case.

Why not bring a change of clothes in a carry on? I would think one would like to shower and put on fresh clothes for dinner. Maybe the jean lovers would prefer to be "Pepe Le Pew". :rolleyes:

Thank you for all of your replies.

I am happy to see that most of you agree with me.

Our upcoming cruise will be our first and we are looking forward to dressing for dinner! Sure, I am having to get some brand new clothes, as I rarely dress up, but so what? It will be fun to be all dressed up and see "everyone" else dressed up too.

I am most comfortable barefoot and bra-less and in my night shirt, but I would not be comfortable at a formal dinner dressed that way. And I hope the people dining with me will feel the same. I am certain that seeing a baseball cap will not spoil my whole cruise, but I don't like to see any kind of hat worn (by men) inside any building. I always thought that that was an understood rule of etiquette anyway. Hey, I am still trying to get used to the idea that blue jeans are not just for farming anymore!!!

It is up to HAL to make everyone's evening special and they should expect everyone to go by their rules. I agree with whoever said, "It is MY vacation too."

I always wear shorts and a tee shirt to breakfast in the dining room. Where does Hal publish that you cannot?

This isn't Princess. :)

I am aware of other cruise lines delivering luggage late but Hal is very good about it. I never heard a complaint about luggage being delivered late but I am sure there is someone out there that would have a complaint. On the last night of the cruise luggage does not have to be in the hallway until around midnight.

The only time on any cruise that I had late luggage was on the Volendam. Very, very late....during the night while we were asleep. It is interesting that it has only happened on HAL. . Didn't complain, because things happen, and we always go with the flow.

I don't see why jeans would have to be acceptable in either case.

Why not bring a change of clothes in a carry on? I would think one would like to shower and put on fresh clothes for dinner. Maybe the jean lovers would prefer to be "Pepe Le Pew". :rolleyes:

Doesn't even deserve a comment!

I really enjoy my HAL cruises on the Volendam. But HAL is NOT perfect. No cruise line is. My motto when traveling is to go with the flow. When things happen, relax and don't let minor matters interfere with a good time. As for Princess, it's my favorite cruise line. I don't enjoy dressing up....had to do that for many years during our careers and I RELAX on my vacations. Princess allows more casual attire with a more relaxed atmosphere than does HAL. And I much prefer Personal Choice dining. So my point here is, HAL is a little more strict regarding dining and dress code for those who really enjoy that sort of thing, and Princess is more relaxed in some areas, which is great for those who really enjoy that sort of thing. Different strokes for different folks. And in spite of the more formal atmosphere on HAL, we still love the Volendam!!

I remember quite a debate about this last year when someone posted they had dressed in a very nice pair of Bermuda shorts and been turned away for Breakfast in the dining room. I was quite stunned by this because I knew I had worn shorts in the dining room on previous cruises.

So I called Ship's Services and was told that it is up to the discretion of the Maitre D' on each HAL ship. They have the right to turn away passengers dressed in shorts from having breakfast in the main dining room.

My personal view is that this is just a little over the topredface.gif . I completely support dress codes, but I think we should be able to wear to Breakfast what we'll be wearing for much of the day.

I really enjoy my HAL cruises on the Volendam. But HAL is NOT perfect. No cruise line is. My motto when traveling is to go with the flow. When things happen, relax and don't let minor matters interfere with a good time. As for Princess, it's my favorite cruise line. I don't enjoy dressing up....had to do that for many years during our careers and I RELAX on my vacations. Princess allows more casual attire with a more relaxed atmosphere than does HAL. And I much prefer Personal Choice dining. So my point here is, HAL is a little more strict regarding dining and dress code for those who really enjoy that sort of thing, and Princess is more relaxed in some areas, which is great for those who really enjoy that sort of thing. Different strokes for different folks. And in spite of the more formal atmosphere on HAL, we still love the Volendam!!

I was not knocking Princess nor did I say Hal was perfect. I was pointing out that Hal's luggage handling is somewhat different and you are NOT required to put you luggage out so early the night before.

I have sailed on another cruise line multiple times and luggage was very slow arriving to the cabin.

Sorry your luggage was delivered so late on the Volendam. I have never heard anyone mention this before.

I agree with "different strokes for different folks".

Personal Choice, that is a subject in itself.

I remember quite a debate about this last year when someone posted they had dressed in a very nice pair of Bermuda shorts and been turned away for Breakfast in the dining room. I was quite stunned by this because I knew I had worn shorts in the dining room on previous cruises.

So I called Ship's Services and was told that it is up to the discretion of the Maitre D' on each HAL ship. They have the right to turn away passengers dressed in shorts from having breakfast in the main dining room.

My personal view is that this is just a little over the tophttp://boards2.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/redface.gif . I completely support dress codes, but I think we should be able to wear to Breakfast what we'll be wearing for much of the day.

I remember that thread. It appeared it was a one time occurrence. No one else has reported this since. Yes, it was over the top and ridiculous.

DaKrewser, well said. I would agree.

I might also speculate that it could be that some people need to have their little private war with establishment? A sort of little rebellion against the rules? The hoi polloi tweaking the nose of the well-heeled?

I agree with the OP and most others here, HAL should most definately enforce the dress code. I have been lucky, almost all my cruises everyone has always followed the dress code. There was one cruise, the Rotterdam through the Panama Canal where I saw people eating dinner in the Lido in their bathing suits on formal night and then walked around the ship like that. I do have to say, that one particular incident bothered me. But for the most part, everyone I have sailed with, not a problem.

I agree with Gizmo here, my luggage has always been delivered early on all my HAL cruises. I have always been able to be unpacked and settled in my cabin before lifeboat drill, which I feel is a plus.

I booked an Alaskan Cruise with HAL and no where in the process was I informed what the dinner dress codes were and which nights were formal nights. This is our first cruise and I was unaware of any of this until I started reading this board. I don't really want to dress up for dinner, but will because of the dress code. When do they inform you of this? When you are on the ship or when your documents arrive? I don't understand though how someone not being dressed appropriately can ruin your cruise? I believe that the responsibilty of the dress code is the responisbilty of HAL. Don't be mad at the person in the ball cap, HAL should have turned them away.

When you receive your documents you will find which nights are formal, informal and casual. This information may also be in the fine print of HAL's brochure, but its been a while since I have looked for it. Some TA's do make first time cruisers aware of the dress codes and some don't. The first time I sailed was on NCL, my TA (a different one than I use now) made sure I was aware of the dress code.

Your right, HAL should enforce the dress code, but on the other hand, people who wear ball caps should have enough respect for themselves to never wear a hat inside. My dad, and my young nephews, removes their hats when entering any building, not just the dining room. Manners and common sense is what is lacking for alot of people. Its just all about them and no one else.

Your right, HAL should enforce the dress code, but on the other hand, people who wear ball caps should have enough respect for themselves to never wear a hat inside. My dad, and my young nephews, removes their hats when entering any building, not just the dining room. Manners and common sense is what is lacking for alot of people. Its just all about them and no one else.

Manners and ettiquette regarding the wearing of head coverings varies considerably from place to place for both sexes. There is no universal standard. Some men's custom and culture require them to cover their head for meals. Some women's culture and custom require them to wear head coverings at all times in public.

Now, as far as I know, there are no customs or cultures that require wearing tank tops and speedos in the Lido...:rolleyes:

Anyone here ever watch the 3 Stooges?

Everytime I read this thread, I think about the Stooges episodes where they attend some fancy dinner and everyone is dressed up, and in the end they always wind up in a huge pie fight.

Maybe the dress code rebels just have that Stooge mentality.

My thinking is that I like to dress formally and informally and casually on my cruise. That is one reason that I like them so much - that I have the option to do that or eat somewhere other than the dining room. Having said that, I think it is better to just enjoy your own vacation - if you enjoy dressing up then do it and don't worry about what anyone else is wearing - by worrying about it I think you just ruin part of your own vacation. Take the zen approach to dining and don't worry about those people that don't have brains enough to remove their hats at the dinner table - obviously, their parents forgot to teach them any form of manners.

Enjoy your cruises!!:rolleyes:

I know of no custom or culture that requires ball caps to cover your head in the dining room or anyother building.

The requirement is for head covering, the choice of cover is frequently left up to the individual.

Archived