Solstice or Star Princess to Alaska?

matwood

I'm looking into a first Alaska cruise with my wife and 8 year old son this summer and trying to decide between the Star and the Solstice. Itinerary is similar on each (7 day our of Seattle). Am a long time Princess fan but intrigued with the Solstice-class ships. Would love to hear your comments!

I would definitely go for the Soltice. I love, love, love Celebrity and didn't have such great luck on the Star. I was not alone on my opinions of the Star -- they will get it together -- hopefully -- just not there yet. Food and entertainment was pretty bad. Can you imagine being on a cruise where you cannot wait to get off -- just to get something decent to eat.

I personally would go with Celebrity. It is a much more refined experience and the ship is fantastic, albeit a bit more expensive.

However, the NCL Star will absolutely offer more for an 8 year old. NCL is more family oriented, whereas Celebrity is a bit more for Adults on the sophisticated side.

I sailed the Star to Alaska a few years back, and it was great. Many families on board - plenty of young ones running around having fun. Food was OK (not up to Celebrity standards) and many affordable specialty restaurants. I would sail on her again with no problems.

We've been on several Alaskan cruises. We loved the Seattle round trip itinerary on Princess which went to Glacier Bay. We loved not having to fly all the way to Anchorage to catch the ship, for starters. The Seattle based cruise we took was no less stellar than the ones that departed from Vancouver or Whittier. We have enjoyed both lines on cruises to Alaska. Last year the Star was getting a lot of complaints about the food, particularly on the 15 day cruises round trip San FrAncisco to Hawaii. We had noticed a decline in the food on princess in 2010, 2011. The reviews can vary from ship to ship and food is subjective. We used to have excellent meals on Princess, but the last few years the food has been good , but not excellent or exceptional. However, the food wasn't bad, as in we would still give princess another try. But I do recall reading a lot of complaints regarding not so good food last year. Several long-time Princess cruisers remarked on it.

I'd go for Glacier Bay. I love Celebrity but also like Princess. Alaska to me is about the itinerary not the ship. Tracy Arm is stunning but ships often can't make that last turn to see the glacier. That was quite a disappointment. We were on a Princess cruise that didnt go to Glacier Bay but Tracy Arm. We didn't get to the glacier. If Celebrity goes to Hubbard glacier that would be a different story.

I'd go for Glacier Bay. I love Celebrity but also like Princess. Alaska to me is about the itinerary not the ship. Tracy Arm is stunning but ships often can't make that last turn to see the glacier. That was quite a disappointment. We were on a Princess cruise that didnt go to Glacier Bay but Tracy Arm. We didn't get to the glacier. If Celebrity goes to Hubbard glacier that would be a different story.

Century goes to Hubbard and was the reason we didn't consider an Alaskan cruise on a nicer newer Solstice class ship that didn't go there.

Thread after thread on the Cruise Critic comparing GB to Hubbard overwhelmingly give the nod to Hubbard.

30vcap2.jpg

Archived