Ideas for things to do without booking an excursion?

midtown_girl

Hi, I'm planning our honeymoon, and am considering an itinerary that includes Antigua.

Seems like Eli's tour and Antigua Paddles would be my first choices for guided tours, but we may not have money in the budget for excursions in each port.

What is available within walking distance (or an inexpensive cab ride) from the docks? Or is this the kind of port that is only enjoyed on a tour?

Jen

Hi,

Hope I'm not too late to reply on this.

You can certianly talk a walk around St. Johns - Redcliffe Quay has a lovely feel , and there are a few bars and restauratns in that area - so nive place for luncn, and drinks. The Museum is about minutes walk up from the cruise ship dock - where there is lots to see and learn about Antigua. You could visit the Old Catherdral which is up high at the top of town - very lovely. For a chepa and local lunch go to Roti King on nevis street and try a chicken roti, Hope that helps bit

Den Field

I missed the fact that you said an inexpensive cab rid e- you could go to Runaway Beach where there is a beach bar/hotel called Bikinis (used to be Lashings). Lovely beach, shade and chiars if you need them, and the bar is right there. Lucnhes are light food, burgers, sandwhcihes up to lobster so a good choice, and a taxi should cost you no more than $10US each way - it is only 10 minutes from the dock. Well worth the visit - make sure you agree the fare with the driver befor eleaving St Johns - and make sure he knows you know it is only 10 minutes drive.

Den Field

Thanks Den!!

You're not too late; we're going on the Sun Princess in October. In exchange for upgrading to a 10 day cruise, I promised to make it no more expensive than the 7 day in terms of out of pocket costs. So I'm trying to figure out which ports are worth an excursion, and which ones can be done on foot/on the cheap.

We're stopping in St. Maarten, St. Thomas, St. Vincent, and Barbados as well as Antigua if you have any ideas for those ports.

Jen
Carnival Glory 12/6/03
Sun Princess 10/13/04

Midtown Girl,
You need to hook up with my friend Lawrence of Antigua. He will take you around the Island all day for about $25 per person. His Van is new and has AC. Check out his website.[url]http://lawrenceofantigua.com/[/url]
Tell him Grumpy sent you.

Thanks you !!
Twigs

midtown_girl,

I was able to do a few days in port very inexpensively (esp Barbados and St. Thomas). Check out my review here,
[url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=147097554&m=334104791&r=334104791#334104791"]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=147097554&m=334104791&r=334104791#334104791[/url]
and let me know if you have any questions.

David.

• 1 month later...
Tried to send an e-mail to [email]lawrenceofantigua@yahoo.com[/email] and [email]info@bikinisantigua.com[/email] and both were returned by my ISP. Probably a problem with hotmail but do you know any other contact alternatives?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
My hubby & another couple recently were in Antiqua as part of a 10 night RCL cruise. We got a cab to take us to a resort called Allegro, @ Pineapple Beach. They are an all inclusive resort. They offer a day pass for $35.00 each which includes Lunch and unlimited visits to snack bars, unlimited drinks, soft drinks & alcohol, non motorized water sports which incl: snorkle equip, hoby cat sail, kayaks. We had a wonderful day!!!!!!!!!! Its a beautiful resort & the help had great attitudes couldnt do enough for you...we loved it. Cant remeber how much the cab was but it was kind of far fr port & we had a bad experience with the first cab driver we tried to use...kind of blocked that portion out of my mind. You dont need a reservation for this experience & I'm positive you wnt find an excursion thru the ship which incl lunch at a better price.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi you can get taxis at this webiste [url="http://www.qualityci.com"]www.qualityci.com[/url] let me know and I will work out a discount for you my e-mail is [email]qualityci@actol.net[/email] . Please go to Jolly Harbour or Darkwood beach area for a wonderful time!

Archived