To balcony or not to balcony?

jesseiam2

Love the balcony. It's a way to have time outside without having to be in a crowd. Depending on where we are, sometimes we open the door and just let the ocean breeze fill the room. It's a great place to sit and read and have some quiet, or watch the sea life. We had a cruise with my parents and shared a balcony, which was nice as my dad and I both don't sleep much, so we'd catch each other out there. It's beautiful to be able to sit outside in your nightshirt, and just breathe before bed, or have a soda and unwind before dinner. Wouldn't have a room without one. Love it!

We agree whole heartedly... In fact, we cruise less frequently so that we can afford to have a cabin with a balcony. We travel with our Special Needs Adult son... He needs down time in the afternoon and will usually go to bed very early in the evening. The balcony allows my DH and I somewhere else to go while Rheal is napping or sleeping.

And our favorite activity on the balcony is the people watching while in port. We're too old for "wink wink" so we watch others stagger back to the ship instead.

We have been on 8 cruises - one port hole, six oceanview and one balcony. We were on the Dream in May and got a balcony and got upgraded (some didn't think so) from a cove to the Panorama Deck....we absolutely loved it. My husband is a smoker (I am not so I understand how others feel) but he loved being able to walk out on the balcony and smoke without having to go to the designated smoking areas...of course with our upgrade....we were literally one door from the door that led outside - and we were right above the lido. I think having a balcony anywhere else on the ship would even be better...especially if he wanted to smoke and we were even further from the smoking areas.

As for me...my favorite thing to do on the ship is sit and watch the ocean...so the balcony was perfect for me! The price has to be right though....we are going to have a balcony on the Freedom in May. We are so excited!:)

Must have a balcony!

Great for that ;) ;) time ~ also fun for inciting seagull riots when pulling into tender ports...

Even more useful the night my now ex-husband and I got into a huge fight and I slept outside all night in my robe - nothing like waking up and realizing we were docked at Wal-Mart and my robe wasn't covering quite all it should! (Puerta Vallarta for those who haven't been there)

My husband and I now love our balcony - we got one for our honeymoon/his first cruise and can't imagine doing any other room type.

I think a lot of it depends on your personality and what you enjoy doing. We have only been on one cruise and got an inside for $$ reasons. Going in March and are taking the kids so getting insides again for $$ reasons. That being said, if my husband and I go just the two of us again I will definitely be pushing for a balcony. I like to be by myself, relax and read, etc....things I don't get to do at home running four extremely active kids. He likes the hustle and bustle of being around others and would have a hard time staying awake on a balcony...not that it would be a bad thing. but for me to have downtime and both of us would enjoy having the balcony when docking I will eb trying to snag an affordable balcony room next time.

For most of the reasons previously mentioned, it's a balcony room or nothing for dh and me. It's not so much a matter of actually stepping foot on the balcony (although we do enjoy sitting outside) as much as the immediate access to the sight, smell, and sound of the sky and ocean.

One time, we stayed in an interior room. Neither one of us could convince ourselves that it was worth the money we saved.

I love having a balcony. I don't spend anymore time in the cabin than when I had an inside cabin but it makes that time much more enjoyable. I love going out there first time in the morning and watching the sun rise in my pjs. When I get ready for dinner, I can take time to enjoy the sun going down or just admiring the beauty of the water in quiet. Before I go to bed, it's so nice to be able to see the moon. I love seeing and hearing our ports as soon as I get up or watching the ship come in. Once, hearing the drums in Roatan actually woke us up!

Once you do a balcony you'll never go back. We are in an aft wrap Vista Suite on the Pride this coming Sunday. I have a feeling that I might want one for every future cruise. Ugggggggggggg!

I have been in cabin 4237 on this ship... and trust me... after you are in this one, you will want one for EVERY FUTURE CRUISE! In my opinion, these are the best cabins in the Carnival fleet... have a great time.:D

We have only ever had a balcony. I wake up about an hour before my DH and I sit out reading and just watching the ocean before he wakes. Really nice quiet time. We usually have breakfast out there so there is no rushing in the morning. We end up in the late afternoon taking turns getting ready and relaxing before dinner with a drink. Every night ends up out on the balcony before bed. There is nothing like ending a great day seeing all the stars, the moon, the smell of the ocean and feeling like it is just "us" on a big ship.

I have been in cabin 4237 on this ship... and trust me... after you are in this one, you will want one for EVERY FUTURE CRUISE! In my opinion, these are the best cabins in the Carnival fleet... have a great time.:D

That is what I hear. We are on the main deck also. I hear these cabins go very quickly.

As a psychology major, I am curious as to whether or not people who went from interior or OV to balcony cabins spent more time in the cabin.

I am definitely not a psychology major, but I often wonder this very same thing.

Reason being, when I went from inside balcony I found myself in my room more often. I love relaxing in my own private oasis overlooking the ocean with all the food and entertainment just steps away. It became the best of both worlds, I felt secluded in the inside. I love getting out of bed and being able to get fresh air. I love to read or listen to music out there. I typically try to get one of that larger balcony's because I am tall and I can stretch out in a lounger..

We always get a balcony. I have cruised inside and OV, and if it came to a choice, financially, of no cruise or an inside, I'd take the inside, but it would be a big adjustment. I love the privacy of having our own "deck". We aren't pool people, or sunbathers, so we really use our balcony pretty much as a second room. If DH is napping or watching TV, I can be out on the balcony reading, or vice versa, and still be "together". "Hey, come look at this!" is a pretty common call. Can't do that is one of us is up on the pool deck.

Once you do a balcony you'll never go back. We are in an aft wrap Vista Suite on the Pride this coming Sunday. I have a feeling that I might want one for every future cruise. Ugggggggggggg!

Wow aft wrap suite.......it doesnt get much better then that. Have a great cruise. I will also be enjoying an aft cabin (true aft) in Feb.:p:D

Absolutely worth it to us. The coffee at sunrise. The privacy (wink wink).

Just being able to feel the weather before you venture to the public decks.

Much nicer to wait on the balcony, while the other half dresses, instead of looking at 4 walls, ... or the tv.

Having your own 'deck' to view the ports as you arrive.

Quiet place to end your day with a drink.

Priceless!

Probably already mentioned.. But the bridge can see almost every balcony.. So keep the lights out at night ;-)

Sent from my Galaxy 3S

In Oct. on our way down the day before the cruise, my husbands cell phone rang and it was Carnival saying someone had to cancel it was the first cruise following Hurricane Sandy :( but they gave us a balcony for $100 and we had a reg. inside room. Only one other time did we have a balcony on The Dream and we didnt use it much. However, this trip since we have been to the Bahama's sooooo many times it was SO cool to sit out at the ports watch the people, the ocean, see things I have never seen before because I was always shut up inside. Sit out and drink a bottle of wine w/ the dh. We are getting our 10 cruises in before the end of the year, so we booked another balcony for our b2b in Sept. It's all we talk about.

My dh is a late sleeper I am an early riser and w/ the balcony I dont have to sit in the dark doing nothing I am out on the balcony pumping my veins full of coffee :o

We started out with a balcony and had one for our first 5 cruises. We have had 4 oceanview cabins for our most recent 4 cruises.....we have decided that we prefer the balcony. We love sitting out there as we pull into a port and we enjoy it at night to sit and listen to the water and just unwind.

Room service for coffee on your deck in the morning. Seeing birds, dolphins, whales from your balcony is exciting. Wine in the evening on your balcony and watch the sun set. The fresh air is exhilarating and that's why we love to book a balcony. Worth the extra cost IMHO. We won't go back to an OV, and never ever will we book an inside room.

Some GREAT reasons for a balcony above! I guess one of my favorites is sitting on the balcony early in the morning sipping on a cup of coffee while coming into a port. That's really LIVING IMO! Add that with the serenity of being out there in the middle of the night....it's AWESOME!

From Ruby Princess mini-suite balcony:

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

From Conquest aft-wrap balcony:

P5060385.JPG

P5080552.JPG

P5070389.JPG

As a psychology major, I am curious as to whether or not people who went from interior or OV to balcony cabins spent more time in the cabin.

My first cruise was in an OV. I fell absolutely in love with sitting out on the Promenade deck and listening to and smelling the ocean. One cannot do this in an OV - so I spent very little time in the cabin. The upper decks were just too crowded to relax and even the Promenade was difficult to really relax. I knew at that time, I would always book a balcony from that point on.

With a balcony, I spend at least half of the cruise in my cabin - rather on my balcony. Here, I can fully relax without having to worry about things like falling asleep amongst strangers and get my fill of the ocean sounds and smells. Pure Heaven. So, yes I for one definitely believe the cabin type can dictate the amount of time spent in it.

My first cruise was an OV. For the second we decided to splurge a bit and get a balcony. the first day of the cruise I was like "this is OK, but nothing special". The next morning I stepped out onto the balcony and was watching the water go by when suddenly a school of flying fish broke to the surface and went skimming across the water. Then another. Then another. That was all it took to get me hooked. The dolphins we saw later were icing on the cake.

A balcony wouldn't be a deal breaker, but if I can afford it I'm going to do it. :)

We are within a cruise of getting our platinum and are planning on booking while we are on the Breeze next week. We have never had a balcony before, mainly because we haven't seen the need to spend the money there. (only done 1 OV and the rest were interiors) We spend so little time in the room that I can't bring myself to justify the additional expense. It would take from the budget to do other things. So, assuming that budget is not really a big concern on this next cruise, why balcony?

What's the compelling argument for getting a balcony over in ISR or OVSR?

We only did inside cabins until our platinum cruise, and since then it's been balconies only, and I have to say they are worth the money. The sounds, smells, etc are worth it.. Makes cruising much more enjoyable.

Archived