Alone in BA

Bravesloop

Depends on where you are.

We stayed in the Recoleta Area in December and we felt very comfortable walking around. Both day and in the evening.

We also walked around the Telmo area in the daytime and downtown and felt safe. Our tour quide did point out some areas that weren't too safe for tourists. (like any town.)

Pick a hotel in an good area and ask your hotel where to avoid.

And leave your good jewelry at home. (However in the REcoleta area I felt a bit like Mrs. "Frumpy Dumpy" with all the Chanel Clad ladies shopping.

Street crime seems to be increasing in BA. At one time many would have said that it is safe for an elderly woman to walk most streets alone. I don't think that holds true today. BA may not be more dangerous than any large city for a tourist unfamiliar with the various streets, but it is no longer reputed to be safer. Best to exercise common street smarts at all times.

San Telmo is not an upscale neighborhood and some parts of it are definitely sketchy. It is not a neighborhood an elderly woman wants to be walking alone in at night. The Sunday street fair on Av Defensa is perfectly safe except perhaps for an occasional pickpocket, but an elderly woman should stick to the more pedestrian-trafficked major commercial streets like Av Defensa even during the day. Simply taking cabs to restaurants in San Telmo is not a problem. Ask the restaurant to call you a radio cab you one when departing. It now costs a few extra pesos (equal to $1 US) to call a radio cab over the cost of hailing one on the street, but that's a very small price to pay to avoid the hassle a "maleducado" cab driver.

Upscale neighborhoods like the Recoleta and Palermo may appear to be safe, but as crooks prefer wealthy victims, even these neighborhoods are not immune to purse snatchings so it is best to exercise caution at all times. Many sidewalks are narrow especially in the downtown business district (if you have to go there) and most streets in BA are one way. One good tip is to try to walk towards oncoming vehicular traffic. That eliminates the possibility of thieves on motorcycles coming up from behind unsuspecting pedestrians and snatching valuables. The use of motorcycles in street theft is not uncommon.

Generally speaking try to avoid deserted streets at all times. Do not wear good jewelry or a good watch. Secure your bag when in a restaurant or other public place. Don't pay taxis with a large bill as counterfeit change is a common practice. It is also common for a dishonest cabbie to claim that the valid bill you handed him is a bad one and "it" will be tendered back (except it isn't the one you actually offered).

Is an elderly woman safe to walk around by herself in BA?

I do carry a safepac purse to avoid being pick pocketed.

Anita

Anita,

Don't be put off Buenos Aires. I'm 'only' middle-aged, but I found as a single woman travelling to the city multiple times (I've rented an apartment, stayed in hotels etc), it is far easier to be 'invisible' when you're alone than traveling in a couple or a group. The main reason is you're not speaking to anyone as you're walking along and giving away your nationality.

The other trick is to carry an plastic shopping bag. You just look like any other woman going about her shopping, providing you're not dressed like a tourist (trainers, shorts, bum bag, cap etc) or consulting a map.

I've walked far and wide in BA and never felt even vaguely uneasy. It is a beautiful city that needs to be explored on foot.

Archived