Celebrity Cruisers goes HAL Many questions

Germancruiser

Hello all HAL cruises

I just returned from a SC - Cruise on board Eclipse, after 12 years of cruising with them it is time for a change since many things about Celebrity are not longer acceptable for me!

Is there on board HAL Ships constant background music througout the whole ship?

Is smoking allowed on balconies?

Do they have beverage packages?

Do they proived one with bath robes?

Is the sound level extremly high?

What dresscode´s do they have?

( Formal , semi Formal, causal...)

I know many questions so thank you in advance!

Greetings

Michael

Hello all HAL cruises

I just returned from a SC - Cruise on board Eclipse, after 12 years of cruising with them it is time for a change since many things about Celebrity are not longer acceptable for me!

Is there on board HAL Ships constant background music througout the whole ship? No

Is smoking allowed on balconies? Yes

Do they have beverage packages?

Do they proived one with bath robes? Yes, all cabins get robes.

Is the sound level extremly high? Only at times in some places - avoid the HAL Cats if you don't like loud music. We run from them.

What dresscode´s do they have? Elegantly casual all but two formal nights per week. Formal defined by HAL is jacket and tie for gentlemen and ladies usually wear pants and sparkly top or cocktail dress.... very few long gowns these days. If you don't want to dress formal, you can eat in Lido where most of the MDR menu is served.

( Formal , semi Formal, causal...)

I know many questions so thank you in advance!

Greetings

Michael

Hope this helps.

HAL Cats are a band usually at least 4 or more people they play popular music and rock and roll type music. Some times it is OK out around the pool sometimes it can be a bit loud in a lounge area.

HAL at this moment do not have a drinks package like Celebrity you can by beverage cards with a certain dollar amount eg $200 but you pay regular price and gratuity for drinks they just deduct the amount from your card. All it does stops you over spending your budget and no big bar bills at the end of the cruise.

Not knowing your age but HAL is a slightly older group especially on the longer cruises. Celebrity has a much quicker loyalty program as well as a few better perks and better suite extras (free meals in specialty restaurant etc)

We enjoy both cruise lines just back from 15 day Celebrity and in a couple of months will do 33day on HAL

Hope you enjoy your cruising who ever choose!

Are you on a 7 day cruise that will include Half Moon Cay? If so the HAL Cats will play for a couple of hours at the Pirate Ship. The music is extremely lour there. The lead singer is a female and all the different ones we have heard so nothing but scream!!! We avoid them.

There are 2 formal nights for every 7 day cruise. The other evenings are Smart Casual. This is HAL's policy for dress:

Is There A Dress Code?

The right clothing can make a big difference in the enjoyment of your cruise. First and foremost, dress for comfort. Daily life aboard ship and in ports of call is relaxed and casual. Warmer climates call for clothing made of lightweight, breathable fabrics. For cooler climates, we suggest casual clothes that can be layered easily and possibly a raincoat and waterproof hat or umbrella and gloves. Certain shore excursions may require particular attention to clothing. For example, certain churches or other places of worship may not allow tank tops or short pants. Bring a swimsuit as all of our ships have pools and whirlpools. You may wish to bring more than one outfit for the water. We ask that you wear shoes and a cover-up over a bathing suit when walking through the interior of the ship. If you would like to jog on the sports deck or work out in the fitness center, bring workout gear. Footwear should include comfortable walking shoes for visits ashore and sandals or rubber-soled shoes for strolling on deck.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies may wear a suit, cocktail dress, gown or fancy blouse/top with slacks and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

Formalwear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered on select cruises by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 800-551-5091 or make your reservations online. Your formalwear will be in your stateroom when you board.

HAL has beverage cards but the only one you save money on is the coke card and even that is not really a savings:

$50.00 Beverage Card cost $50.00 (No discount)

$50.00 Non-Alcoholic Beverage Card cost $50.00 (No Discount)

$100.00 Beverage Card cost $100 (No discount)

$250 Beverage Card cost $250 (No discount)

$50.00 Soda Card cost $25.00

The soda card costs $25 but has a face value of $50. You get about 6 ounces of fountain soda.

The only advantage of getting a Beverage card is that you don't have a bunch of individual slips of paper to check at the end of the cruise. Each drink and the 15% gratuity is subtracted from the card and you get a slip showing how much is left on your card. I just keep the most recent slip and pitch the the old one.

We sail on both HAL and X and find the biggest diff is the smoking policy, you will find smoking more wide spread on HAL. It has never been enough of a problem where it ruins our cruise but it has caused us to not book balconies very often as invariably there is a smoker up wind :rolleyes:. We also usually don't spend much/any time in the Crows Nest for the same reason (other then during trivia ;)).

Welcome to HAL - we love it for many reasons but have learned that you have to find the one which is the best match for you.

I like the drink cards and also there are usually specials every night in several of the bars - often Crows Nest - on the upper deck ( think it is 11) the ocean bar 9 lower deck ( same as one of the formal dining room ( 3 or 4 ).

I found the music in the common areas on the Eclipse irritating so if there is music everywhere on HAL it is more soothing and subtle.

I loved having escargot every night on the Celebrity but IMO the MDR on HAL is consistently better than Celebrity or Royal Caribbean.

I prefer the layout of the LIdo on Celebrity but the food is about the same quality on HAL - Hal does change the food daily which is nice.

If you happen to like bread pudding - HAL"s is excellent - they do not always adverse but check out the area by the ice cream in the Lido and ask one of the attendants where to find it - it is awesome and I do not usually like bread pudding.

Numbering of the rooms is not as confusing as Celebrity - I was always lost on the Eclipse which is a beautiful ship and lots of late night and an interesting drink package - FYI - at embarkation ( only ) HAL is the only ship who does not have a problem with you bringing wine on to use in your room or to take to dinner if you want to pay the corkage fee which is around 25. I have also seen people put a tag on a case of bottled water and a car of soda. You may also bring on Champagne but that's it - no beer or hard liquor. That is a big different from the other lines.

I found the cabins rather small on Eclipse compared to HAL ships but it also depends on the category as well as the individual ship. The Categories are also easier to understand IMO.

I also have done the soda card which is actually fascinating - I only drink coke zero and sprite zero which is not available from the fountain so they open a can and pour it in a glass - it is a rule that the bartenders think is weird but they follow it so I solved the problem by asking for my soda with no ice. It actually is not a bad deal if you drink soda. Do not know if you have to purchase online before you get on the ship. Might want to check that out.

was recently on the Solstice.....HAL ships will be NO WHERE AS NOISY as this Celebrity ship was...the small library area overlooking the atrium, right by the elevators - on Celebrity - totally useless...either the sun is streaming in through all that glass and baking you...or everyone coming offthe elevator is yapping and disturbingreaders or else the activities/noise in the center atrium waft up to the 6 th floor library/atrium.....and no windows for viewing the sea.....

you will find Hal has wonderful library areas, with views out to sea in lounges, library and almost anywhere else you can think of to find a quiet nook....

One night on Celebrity , post show, we went to the bar with another couple to have a drink, and the music and whatever was going on in the atrium, we could not hear ourselves over all the din....we quickly parted after drink was done and went to our rooms for some quiet

Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed our cruise and chose Celebrity - second time - for the unique itinerary AND fabulous price deal we received....It was a very port intensive Europe cruise, with only one sea day about halfway through - so ship activities, etc were not important to us.... I must say the Millenium class ships - we were on Constellation prior - have a different layout and seemed better laid out and quieter. Everything on the Solstic class ship seems to focus inward towards the atrium, and felt more life a hotel than a ship.

thank you so much

I have never ever seen such a complete list of menus and things that are happening on the ship in such a clear way to read them

much appreciated

this is our first hal cruise

what type of music does the band play

what type of music does Hal cats play

we do not like ballroom music - will be disappointed

were there any happenings in the disco and or where was must of the "excitment" at night

thanks so much

carol

We like both lines alot and typically pick based on itinerary.

Celebrity had more activities run by the entertainment staff such as trivia, pictionary, name that tune type games, etc. There were also a lot more activies by the pool on sea days and more sports competitions.

Food and cabins seem very similar to us. It seems like Celebrity had better steak options every night but everyone has cut back. Celebrity waffles can't be beat.

I miss the drink stations for water, tea, and the like out by the pool or near the hydrotherapy pool on X.

Embarkation and disembarkation on HAL are better than X.

We have sailed with HAL the last couple years and are very satisfied.

The thing I would like for them to change is that smoking is allowed in more places than X. This past cruise we were chased off the balcony several times by smokers around us. It was bad enough we will reconsider getting a balcony in the future.

Thank you all so much for all the infromation and pro and con´s. Extremly helpful- every post! Much appericated here too.

The focus on borad Solstice Class ships is inward, without much view of the sea ( for this is the whole point of cruising..) I miss a proper prrommenade deck on board X- Ships! They are great ships really - yet elegant, but to many indoors lounches. Millenium Class is much better in this compartment.

I have posted at the X- board as well- some posts there got me the flammes- of course- that was to expect. LOL.

So the next ship will be definatly a HAL - ship wether it is one of the Vista ships, Eurodam or Niew Amsterdam!

Thanks again for the welcome and all the help!

Michael

...... - FYI - at embarkation ( only ) HAL is the only ship who does not have a problem with you bringing wine on to use in your room or to take to dinner if you want to pay the corkage fee which is around 25. I have also seen people put a tag on a case of bottled water and a car of soda. You may also bring on Champagne but that's it - no beer or hard liquor. That is a big different from the other lines.

Celebrity DOES allow you to bring wine on board - 2 bottles per person. If you take the bottle (s) to the MDR, there is the usual corkage fee of $25. You may also bring on as much soda and bottled water as you wish. :)

Archived