Wonderful Copenhagen

I just read in my 2013-2014 guide that came with my Copenhagen card and it is in fact the GUIDED tour with commentary that is free with the card. Another interesting tid bit... The tour is free only from the Gammelstrand location (by Christiansborg Palace). It states in the guide that there is a fee to start the tour in Nyhavn. Netto-Badene offers the free tour from either location (Nyhavn or Holmes Church). :)

Dolfans from Miami

Dolfans from Miami

Oh that is good to know. I was planning on getting on at Nyhavn after dinner one night so I better adjust that a little.

While I know it is not included, does anyone have any experience with the Wine & Dine tour? I was wondering if it was worth the price and what type of cuisine they serve.

Hi,

I have just found this thread, thanks to my friend who finds all of the good ones.

I also live in Houston and I'm trying to mentally prepare for the weather.

We will arrive in Copenhagen on May 7 & will take the Baltics cruise, followed by the Fjord cruise.

I will be trying to pack for layering, with the hope that there will be a surprise warming in northern Europe in May! LOL

Judy

After waking up this morning I think I need to be looking for hotel rooms with heaters instead of air conditioning! 60 degrees outside and I was freezing in my sweater and pants going to work this morning. I'll probably be the only person there in August with a heavy jacket. :p

Danish Viking,

Thank you for the transportation and site seeing information you provided us if we stay at the Crowne Plaza. Does the STAY apartment hotel have convenient transportation options and/or is it too far away from the city center? We will be staying in Copenhagen for two nights.

You have 2 options.

You can walk over the nearby bridge (Bryggebroen) to Dybbølsbro station, total travel time to Copenhagen central station would then be 20 minutes with 17 of them on foot (1,3 kilometres).

Or you can take bus 250S towards Buddinge and get off at both the central station and City Hall Square in 16 minutes.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200025010000&stop_gid=9025200000003134

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Islands+Brygge+79a,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Drechselsgade%2FArtillerivej+%4055.657401,12.569413&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.657955,12.567973&spn=0.003686,0.009645&sll=55.656458,12.567433&sspn=0.003686,0.009645&geocode=FRNEUQMdi8C_ACnXJV5KZFNSRjFujD2XpwyzVg%3BFblDUQMdRcu_AA&oq=islands+brygge+79a&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&z=17

Even though Crowne Plaza is located further out it is only 8 minutes away from the central station because of the airport train is much quicker.

Edited by Danish viking

We'll be arriving at the airport in Copenhagen at 11:45am. If we purchase 24 hour cards at the airport does the 24 hour period begin at the time of purchase? How would this work if we ordered the cards in advance and had them mailed to us? Thanks!

Oh that is good to know. I was planning on getting on at Nyhavn after dinner one night so I better adjust that a little.

While I know it is not included, does anyone have any experience with the Wine & Dine tour? I was wondering if it was worth the price and what type of cuisine they serve.

The restaurants they work with are..

Kanalen

New Danish and Danish/French

4 out of 6 chef hats but they got a BiB Gourmand (the step before a michelin star)

MS Amerika

bisro kitchen (they are known for their cheese table)

4 out of 6 chefs hats

Aristo

Café type of food and cosmopolitan

4 out of 6 chefs hat

Søren K

Danish, Danish/French and cosmopolitan

4 out of 6 chefs hat

Nouvel

Nordic inspired brasserie

4 out 6 chefs hat

Gasten and Galionen

Traditional Danish, seafood, Smørrebrød (open faced sandwich) and steak

2 out 6 chefs hat

Many of them have seafood on the menu (or at least the reviews contains alot of it) and all except the last one given a rating of 4 by the users of AOK.dk

We'll be arriving at the airport in Copenhagen at 11:45am. If we purchase 24 hour cards at the airport does the 24 hour period begin at the time of purchase? How would this work if we ordered the cards in advance and had them mailed to us? Thanks!

You write the starting time with a pen so you choose for yourself when to activate it.

Danish Viking,

There are 6 of us who will be needing a taxi from the port to the Hilton Copenhagen airport. Are there taxis that can take 6 people plus luggage.

All companies has vans (VW transporter or similar) but i can´t tell how many they send to the port but it would be odd if they didn´t send some.

It also depends on what day it is and how many ships there are in port.

All companies has vans (VW transporter or similar) but i can´t tell how many they send to the port but it would be odd if they didn´t send some.

It also depends on what day it is and how many ships there are in port.

I am not sure if this can be asked, but are there companies that we can contact to schedule a taxi?

Hi we are staying at Hotel Christian IV, Dronningens Tvaergade 45 and have been told that we can take bus 26 from Freeport and then it is just a short walk. Just wondering if it is practical to take a suitcase each plus hand luggage on the bus or should we get a taxi? Any advice would be appreciated (Any construction near that hotel?)

Hi Danish Viking,

You had helped me with an itinerary before but after reading all the recent posts I am going to purchase the Copenhagen Card (thanks for the info Dolfans0704) and try to do a whirlwind tour of Copenhagen and take advantage of the included use of public transit.

We dock at Langeline at 8:00 and leave at 5:00. The problem is that I can't seems to find anything that opens before 10:00. Is there something I can do (besides the Little Mermaid statue) before 10:00? Would any of the canal tours start before 10:00?

Some places that interest me are Rosenborg, Amalienborg, a canal tour, Rundetaarn, Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, the David Collection, Sand Sculpture Festival, Tivoli Gardens and the Marble church. Which of these are possible to do in the given time frame and what order should I do them in? I am okay with just seeing the highlights of each place rather than lingering and getting an in depth look. Can you provide another of your excellent maps?

I really value your opinion on this. Thanks in advance.

After waking up this morning I think I need to be looking for hotel rooms with heaters instead of air conditioning! 60 degrees outside and I was freezing in my sweater and pants going to work this morning. I'll probably be the only person there in August with a heavy jacket. :p

Highly recommend silk thermals if it's chilly--got mine at Sierra Trading when we went to Alaska and plan on taking them on this trip also.

Highly recommend silk thermals if it's chilly--got mine at Sierra Trading when we went to Alaska and plan on taking them on this trip also.

Thank you for the tip. I will be visiting in late May into early June. I am from Miami so cold to me is when we drop into the 50's! Would you recommend I get a couple of pairs? Maybe for the more northern ports I was thinking.

Dolfans from Miami

Hi we are staying at Hotel Christian IV, Dronningens Tvaergade 45 and have been told that we can take bus 26 from Freeport and then it is just a short walk. Just wondering if it is practical to take a suitcase each plus hand luggage on the bus or should we get a taxi? Any advice would be appreciated (Any construction near that hotel?)

Its located near Kongens Have so no construction sites nearby.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Hotel+Christian+IV,+Hotel+Christian+IV,+Dronningens+Tv%C3%A6rgade+45,+1302+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Kronprinsessegade%2FS%C3%B8lvgad+%4055.685989,12.583766&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.685351,12.583197&spn=0.001842,0.004823&sll=55.685232,12.584289&sspn=0.001842,0.004823&geocode=FdOtUQMd-QHAACl122psGVNSRjH-ZVoTZ3Y_ng%3BFWWzUQMdVgPAAA&oq=hotel+christian+iv&t=h&gl=dk&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&z=18

But remember that if your ship is docked at the freeport you cant use the bus in the weekends and public holidays.

Hi Danish Viking,

You had helped me with an itinerary before but after reading all the recent posts I am going to purchase the Copenhagen Card (thanks for the info Dolfans0704) and try to do a whirlwind tour of Copenhagen and take advantage of the included use of public transit.

We dock at Langeline at 8:00 and leave at 5:00. The problem is that I can't seems to find anything that opens before 10:00. Is there something I can do (besides the Little Mermaid statue) before 10:00? Would any of the canal tours start before 10:00?

Some places that interest me are Rosenborg, Amalienborg, a canal tour, Rundetaarn, Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, the David Collection, Sand Sculpture Festival, Tivoli Gardens and the Marble church. Which of these are possible to do in the given time frame and what order should I do them in? I am okay with just seeing the highlights of each place rather than lingering and getting an in depth look. Can you provide another of your excellent maps?

First see the little Mermaid and then take bus 26 so you can time it with a 10:00 opening at Rosenborg.

I would couple Rosenborg and David Samlingen together, but they have a very different opening times for each days so maybe David Samlingen doesn´t fit in.

You can see the Marple Church on the way to Amalienborg.

After that you can take a Canal Tour and perhaps visit the Sand Sculpture Festival when the tour is finshed

Then you walk along Strøget to either Rundetårn or Tivoli/Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek.

Then i would say that it´s either Rundetårn or Tivoli/Glyptoteket

If you choose this then continue to walk to Nørreport and take the S.train to Østerport where you can walk to the pier (or take bus 26 the rest of the way)

If you choose Tivoli or Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek (maybe there is not time for both) then just take the S-train from the central station to Østerport.

Hi Danish Viking,

Hi OHW

The DFDS Canal Tours which leave from Gammel Strand included with the Copenhagen card starts their first run at 9:15 am so you may want to consider doing that after seeing the Little Mermaid area. I am sure Danish Viking has some other suggestions as well! Enjoy your trip. :)

Edited by dolfans0704

Based on the map at this link it appears that Bus 26 goes past Frihavnen, but I can't tell if it actually stops there. We'll be traveling from Kongens Nytorv to Frihavnen on Friday, 31 May and returning from Fihavnen to Kongens Nytorv on Monday, 10 Jun.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/kort/trafikkort/Documents/Hovedstadsomraadet/BusserKobenhavnCity.pdf

Thanks!

It does but only on regular weekdays (aka monday to Friday), the bus stop is located just outside but there has been some road construction near the area so I´m taking a photo trip this Easter to see where they have relocated the bus stop because the satellite images on google maps and other providers are not updated.

Edited by Danish viking

Hi OHW

The DFDS Canal Tours which leave from Gammel Strand included with the Copenhagen card starts their first run at 9:15 am so you may want to consider doing that after seeing the Little Mermaid area. I am sure Danish Viking has some other suggestions as well! Enjoy your trip. :)

Thats right

Bus 26 will go almost directly from Langelinie (Indiakaj bus stop) to Gammel Strand (Christiansborg bus stop) in 13 minutes.

In order to be at Gammel Strand at 09:15 then It´s the 08:43 or 08:54 Departures on Weekdays, 08:46 on Saturdays and 08:51 on Sundays.

Thats right

Bus 26 will go almost directly from Langelinie (Indiakaj bus stop) to Gammel Strand (Christiansborg bus stop) in 13 minutes.

In order to be at Gammel Strand at 09:15 then It´s the 08:43 or 08:54 Departures on Weekdays, 08:46 on Saturdays and 08:51 on Sundays.

Thanks Dolfan0704 for the info on the early canal tour. I will definitely try to get on that first boat. If I recall you are on a tight schedule as well.

Thanks Danish Viking for the detailed bus info on getting there. So after the canal tour, what do you suggest for the order of the rest of my points of interest?

Thanks again!

Thank you for the tip. I will be visiting in late May into early June. I am from Miami so cold to me is when we drop into the 50's! Would you recommend I get a couple of pairs? Maybe for the more northern ports I was thinking.

Dolfans from Miami

We are the same way! I would just get one pair and then wash out if you need to. You may or may not need them. I loved the real silk ones--I'm a "girl".

We are the same way! I would just get one pair and then wash out if you need to. You may or may not need them. I loved the real silk ones--I'm a "girl".

Thanks for the feedback, Alaskanb! Silk ones for me, I am a "girl" too! LOL! ;)

Dolfans from Miami