Questions about Bathseba (please help!!)

knf106

My family and I are cruising to Barbados this June, and some of us want to go surfing at Soup Bowl in Bathseba. Unfortunately, we cannot take our surfboards with us on the ship, so are there boards for rent in Bathseba?? Also, we're concerned about transportation: From the dock at Bridgetown, is it better to take a cab, bus, or try to rent a motorbike (or similar) to get to Bathseba? How much should a cab fare cost? How do you get a cab back to Bridgetown at the end of the day? And finally, for those of us not interested in surfing, are there other activities (i.e. shopping) within walking distance of Bathseba? Anyone with any info, please help!!!

We rented a car and toured Barbados on our own last year when we visited.We made a stop at Batsheba so I am going to try and answer your questions;

so are there boards for rent in Bathseba??

Some guest houses rent surfboards best bet is to contact those in Bathsheba about rentals.

You can also contact this guy for a "surftour" around the island and get rental of boards as well:

http://new.caribzones.com/zedssurftravel.html

Also, we're concerned about transportation: From the dock at Bridgetown, is it better to take a cab, bus, or try to rent a motorbike (or similar) to get to Bathseba?

I strongly advise against renting a motorbike, there are some winding roads that lead to Batsheba and we actaully got a bit lost following the map. With your limited time on the island, hire a cab.

How much should a cab fare cost? How do you get a cab back to Bridgetown at the end of the day?

Visit www.barbados.org for a listing of taxi rates. You can make arrangements with yout taxi to return and take you back to Port.

And finally, for those of us not interested in surfing, are there other activities (i.e. shopping) within walking distance of Bathseba?

There is no shopping in Batsheba, there are a few guest houses and restaurants, all very much in keeping with the quiet, sleepy village feel. If you do not want to surf, you can relax on the beach ( I do not advise swimming there) take a walk to the look out point,have am eal or drink at one of the restaurant and just enjoy feeling as if time has slowed to a standstill.

http://www.bsasurf.org/

http://www.surfing-waves.com/travel/barbados.htm

SYNDYJ gave you some good advice. I might add a little to his well-composed and precise post.

Surfboards can be rented from a number of establishments. The Round House and Smokey’s Surf Shop being two that I know of in Bathsheba.

I suggest that you rent a car. A cheap one. For US$75 you’ll save a bunch in taxi fares. Yes, you’ll probably get lost, but the Barbadian people are happy to help!

While you and your friends are surfing (BE CAREFUL at the SOUPBOWL!), the rest can visit the Atlantis Hotel, St. John’s Parish Church, Andromeda Gardens and a number of other attractions.

If you just do a cab and have him take you around, you’ll be into a C-Note without tip. And please don’t rent a mini-Moke, just a small 4-cyl sedan AND NO MOTORBIKES! Too dangerous.

Please be VERY, VERY careful at the SOUPBOWL. It may be advantageous to ask some of the locals first. We have CORAL and heavy undertows, it’s NOT the same as North America surfing.

Best of luck and enjoy the island! icon_smile.gif

-------------------------

Barbados, one happy island, mon flag.JPG

Thanks so much to both of you for your very thorough answers! I think that my family and I are going to rent a car. We had been leaning toward the motorbikes, but if they're not quite safe then we'll just skip it. I appreciate the help more than you know-- y'all are great!! icon_cool.gif

Archived