An honest Splendor review 1/13/2013

travelexplore3

Not trying to make excuses for the staff, on the splendor 1-14-13 sail date. Our cabin steward said he was sick and he spent the day in medical, he said most of the staff was fighting something. He didn't look like he felt well at all. He had a replacement most of the cruise, but when we did see him he was working hard. Sick and looking like he felt really bad. :(

My family and I were on this cruise and we decided to go even though we knew there was one less day. The question I have for those who were on this cruise is have you been refunded for the day we missed? The original email said in the next 2 weeks and we have yet to see the credit. I didn't want to call Carnival before I asked.

My family and I were on this cruise and we decided to go even though we knew there was one less day. The question I have for those who were on this cruise is have you been refunded for the day we missed? The original email said in the next 2 weeks and we have yet to see the credit. I didn't want to call Carnival before I asked.

From what I have read, the refunds are due on or by February 2. Wouldn't mind a "Groundhog Day" here and have it refund over and over and over....

Somebody posted that the refunds were issued on January 28. However, I don't see my refund yet. I believe Carnival said it would take two weeks. So I would wait until Feb 4 at least.

Somebody posted that the refunds were issued on January 28. However, I don't see my refund yet. I believe Carnival said it would take two weeks. So I would wait until Feb 4 at least.

Carnival told me on Tuesday, that our refund was processed 1/28/2013~ As of this morning, I've received all credits except one for $101.52.... yipee!

Carnival told me on Tuesday, that our refund was processed 1/28/2013, but as of today we've received nothing :mad:

My case is a little different because 2 of the 3 cabins were booked under a card that was replaced because it was stolen. Unfortunately, CCL claims to have to refund it to the card it was booked on, even though a replacement card was issued and was used for final payment. So I am sure that it will take weeks for them to figure it out and send me a check... but whatever!

With that said, we have NOT received the 3rd refund, which was on a valid card.

Contact your credit card company. I would not count on Carnival to put a lot of effort into making sure your credit gets to your current card account number. They don't have near the incentive you do.

No one is going to look out for your interests like you will, except maybe your Mom! :D

Yes I got a $264 credit on january 28. The thing I will say is that when its all said and over, Carnival did compensate the passangers well which did make up for the day missed, port taxes and fee's. I'm glad I can close the book on this experience and move on. We thankfully just booked a sort of "make up vacation" on NCL for November. We are very excited to go back to the cruiseline we enjoy. Good luck to everyone who sailed on getting back ur refunds. I hope u all get them very soon.

I have just read all the pages of this thread. I am going on the Splendor in a few months and took the posters complaining with pretty much a grain of salt. It was her opinion and she has a right to it. I feel badly for those new to cruising and using it as a tool in order to book or not. It really is not completely reflective of the cruiseline.

Yes! By all means disregard a first-hand report! It works exactly like the flyers say it will...

Why oh why do they call this cruise "critic"?

Eeesh...

We felt very ripped off as our 1st day in cabo was from 9:30am until 4pm and day 2 if you even can call it that was 7:30am - 1pm. I can't believe that Carnival can qualify that as a day!

We had a total of 3 1/2 sea days which we had hoped to fill up with fun stuff however..... it was a lot of stupid competitions (hairy chest) and the pool inside under the closed area was packed full of people, art shows bore us, we don't do spa's and there was really nothing else to do, so we decided to make of it what we could and spend some family time watching movies in our room....or so we thought. WHy did no one warn us that movies cost $10.99 per movie????? Jesus!!! Of all the cruise ships we have been on we have NEVER EVER paid for in room movies, they are free on every other cruise line. So we ended up watching a bunch of boring shows on tv for 3 1/2 days straight.

The nighttime shows were very good....we did enjoy those, the comedians were fantastic! We also enjoyed the mini golf of the ship as well. My son DID try out the kids club for his age group and he did enjoy it and went in 3 of the 5 days for a few hours.

We DID like the layout of the ship, we felt the interior was very nice, we LOVED our balcony room, the rooms are very spacious and nice.

Our room steward was very rude and never spoke to us, we asked him once to unlock our refridgerator to which he replied with a sigh like we were bothering him. The only people who really were nice to us and spoke to us was guest services. They were great, and the kids club counselor was great as well.

Sorry to disappoint you, but Royal Caribbean also charges for in-cabin movies.

There are free in-cabin movies provided which are usually the same as those shown either in the movie theatre or up on deck. Any other movies you have to pay for and you have to access them on your TV. They are not just airing on one of the regular stations.

MARAPRINCE

I do not remember ever being charged for a movie on RCCL. But again we only cruised with them 1 time and it was in 2008. Lots have changed since then with many cruiselines but the ones we enjoy most are Disney and NCL.

By all means RCCL may charge now for movies or has been for a while but 5 years ago they didn't. Carnival has been the only cruiseline we have ever had to pay for movies.

Honestly--If it had some depth to it instead of the constant nothing was good, no one helped me kind of attitude I would have felt different. Nothing is perfect but nothing is always totally all bad.

I don't believe cruise critic is called cruise critic to be all critically written as this was.

Eeesh???? Sorry but I don't understand this. Your nickname?

Yes! By all means disregard a first-hand report! It works exactly like the flyers say it will...

Why oh why do they call this cruise "critic"?

Eeesh...

Honestly--If it had some depth to it instead of the constant nothing was good, no one helped me kind of attitude I would have felt different. Nothing is perfect but nothing is always totally all bad.

I don't believe cruise critic is called cruise critic to be all critically written as this was.

Eeesh???? Sorry but I don't understand this. Your nickname?

I wouldn't sweat it. Ib4 long ago and far away stopped commenting on anything BUT critical comments against Carnival.

This is the sort of thread which is like catnip for Ib4.

I didn't write an "everything is wrong" report. I listed what I liked and didn't like, what we thought of the cruise as a whole. If someone agree's maybe its because they also had a rough cruise with carnival, or maybe they were on our cruise. There is lots of reports of people liking and disliking our cruise from actual cruisers who were on our sailing. Had we have tried carnival on a different sailing under different circumstances we may have enjoyed carnival. But due to the circumstances we decided carnival isn't for us.

• 5 months later...
Actually my husband was gonna say something to the room steward about it...but instead I just informed guest services when I canceled tips and explained why I was doing it. I totally agree with the fact that they rely on it and maybe I stiffed others but I've never felt this was before and never removed tips. I didn't feel like I was sending a message. I was just at that point totally over it. I work hard to be able to vacation...and I work in customer service and I'm expected to be 100 percent at all times while at work and I expect the same from others. When I don't get 100 percent I don't feel I should reward them with a tip. Like rewarding for bad service....umm no thanks.

You don't need to work so hard to defend yourself. Its totally OKAY to have an opinion. It sounds like your whole cruise experience was substandard. I personally have an issue with the whole pre-tipping idea. I feel that it gives no personal incentive to be your best unless you just happen to be the kind of person that tries to always put your best foot forward. I know you were attacked for cancelling tips....I've worked in food service for YEARS AND YEARS, so I know how important it is to get a tip....but we all often forget....TIPPING IS OPTIONAL. It is not mandatory. We tip to say "Thank you for going above and beyond and I genuinely appreciate YOU." Maybe employers should just pay a decent wage and not make their employees depend on tips to make up for the lack of a normal paycheck. All the same, I'm sorry your cruise was substandard and that your family was disappointed. I feel that some of the negative remarks were uncalled for as you were very polite, honest and forthcoming in your review.

Archived