Transit to Colon Panama?

Cecethekittencat

Greetings ... I think I have my heart set on the RCCL cruise from Colon, Panama.

Can anyone comment on how easy it is to get from Panama City to Colon? Looks like it's only an hour per google.maps ...

I'm still in the early stage of research but if anyone can give quick tips that would be great.

Thanks! :p

Greetings ... I think I have my heart set on the RCCL cruise from Colon, Panama.

Can anyone comment on how easy it is to get from Panama City to Colon? Looks like it's only an hour per google.maps ...

I'm still in the early stage of research but if anyone can give quick tips that would be great.

Thanks! :p

I think there is a train, but buses are more frequent. If the weather is nice it is a very scenic trip.

It is a nice itinerary...you likely know that shipboard announcements are in Spanish first.

Have a great trip.

Thanks!

Easiest way is to use RCCLs transfers. Don't let Google map fool you. All of Panama City, or most of it, is ripped up with construction, and if you hit it at rush hour traffic is horrendous! The train only runs once a day in the morning from Panama City to Colon and returns in the evening. Rest of the day it is being used for tourist/ship excursions. The purpose of the railroad is not to move people, but to move containers. You can get a van at the airport to take you to Colon but be prepared to pay. I have spent anywhere from $120 to $175 in the past getting from the pier in Colon to Panama City. Yeah, there are buses, but . .. you first have to get from Tocumen International to the Albrook bus terminal, which is about $30-40 by cab. Then find the bus to Colon. Then the bus ride to Colon on an old school bus, windows and doors open, hot shot driver probably smoked up - this can be the most thrilling part of your adventure! - getting dropped off downtown Colon - even more thrilling [used to represent Haiti in the Quantum James Bond movie] - then figuring a way to get to the pier - don't THINK about walking and schlepping your luggage.

Easiest, cheapest, most convenient, safest - pay the money and take the ship transfer.

Regards, Richard

While the ship transfer is a great solution. What if you want to stay in Panama City pre or post cruise? *I know the cruise line will sell hotel packages with transfer as well, but if you have other hotel arrangements?

I am thinking booking a tour operator for transfer might be a good solution.

Any thoughts on this?

I notice in threads that groups have arranged this for $20 plus transfer only or $80-$90 for transfer to hotel with a 9am tour to 3pm hotel check-in time.

Or would you think it is better doing the ships tour/transfer and then a transfer back to a hotel?

Thanks for the inputs on this question. Glad to have some info before we decide to book.

I have the same questions about the ship's transfer. We usually like to fly in the day before - so in order to use the ship's transfers we'd need to book the hotel I guess through them? We don't usually book through the ship because, as we all know, we can usually get a better deal on our own!

I think I'll look into this more - as my heart was pretty darn set on going to Panama & Cartegna!

Just sayin....

About 6 different cruise lines go to both Panama and Cartagena. Some do round trips out of Miami/Ft Lauderdale, others do the round trips that you have found.

This came up because you are in Chicago and will have to fly "international" to board a ship in Panama. International airfare, over water, seems to command rather hefty prices whereas domestic flights are usually less.

Cruise lines:

Holland America

Princess

Pullmantur

Oceania

Norwegian

Royal Caribbean

Celebrity

maybe more...:)

After I posted here I noticed that RCI has added a series of transfers for Colon from arriving ships. I guess the transfer from Airport is not considered a shore excursion. As I checked the round-trip Colon cruises, they only have excursions at the end.

From the ship they have a shopping transfer which is $40 for transfer to "Panama's biggest shopping center" , which I guess would be Multicentro, where the Radisson is attached. They do not state that though? 9am

They have for transit passengers the same tour with visit to Miraflores Panama Canal center , but with a return to Colon for $62. 7:15 am.

They then offer the same transfer with Miraflores Panama Canal center and with additional transfer to the airport for $62. 7 am. for flights after 3:30 only.

These all are 6 hour tours. No info, but guess bags are secured in bus hold.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for the inputs. YES! We are booking the Colon RCCL ship ... it really does have the best itinerary. And, actually we live in Cali now not Chicago so the airfare from SFO - Panama City is not too crazy ... will be worth it I'm sure. I think the roundtrip ship's transfer sounds like the best way to go. :D

Archived