Suite Life...

Kierste

Okay, so I have booked adjoining mini-suites on the Pearl... and our cruise is a super long time from now... I am reading posts and doing research, and want to ask some questions about the "suite life" I keep reading about.

I know some people say they just book an inside cabin because they are never in their rooms and don't want to spend $$ on the room, and would rather spend it on excursions or shopping or whatever.

Here is the deal, this trip is me and dh, and our dd, and my dm. First cruise for any of us. We have friends and family who cruise, so its not like we are completely going in blind, but you get what I mean. I prefer adjoining rooms, but will be fine being next door--mom and dd will be sharing (most likely--there is a slight chance that dd will change her mind and bunk with us, but for booking purposes, I have her sharing with my mom.) We wanted the mini-suites because of the bath tub and a little more space... both my mom and dd love their baths and would be loathe to have to shower for 11 days.

The difference between MB (with the free upgrade from B2) and SF is $700 pp... I know that it is hard to tell someone if it is "worth it"... but I am still asking. Some things I have read that would be nice--concierge to hook up my hubby with a bucket of beer on ice upon arrival. The little "treats" they leave, the aft balconies are bigger right?, we'd be on deck 10 instead of 11, which means surrounded by cabins--quieter right? Is there priority embarkation? What else?

I have 2 years to save up... so money wise we could swing it. Conversely... why should we stay put in our MB room? And because it is so far out, should be stay put for now, move up later--or will these lowest level "suites" go so fast that it would be dumb to wait if we want to move? Or really is it not worth $2400 more to get the perks?

Oh, and want to add... our rooms right now only have $50 OBC... the SF rooms have $300... which really makes them only $600 more pp....

TIA experienced cruisers!

The family suite rooms are great. If you think you'll need the space, then go for it. (I lost track of how many people you said are going to be staying in the room at the same time.) I personally don't think the suite perks are worthwhile unless you plan on staying (and eating) in the room a lot. If that's the case, then you might as well pay for the better room since it's going to be a major part of your trip. If your room is just for sleeping and bathing and you plan to walk the 100-200 feet to experience the fun stuff on the ship, then stick with the mini-suite. Cagney's breakfast and lunch is overrated. The "butler" service is overrated. You can get coffee on the ship. You don't really need a coffee maker in your room unless you can't survive 30 minutes without caffeine. And if you get the mini-suite and would like food to come there, you could always order it rather than have it delivered every day whether you want it or not like in a family suite.

Ultimately it comes down to what you want to do in the room. If you want to say in there for long periods of time and avoid contact with the rest of the ship, then you should invest in making it as comfortable as possible. If not, take the savings from the family suite and spend it other ways...or just save it. Your choice, of course.

From what I read between the lines and from the info you gave, you are apparently thinking about booking two of the SF cabins because you are talking about the full extra price for all - that is good. The SF cabins are great but they are not that big if you really would want to squeeze four ppl in them without having to remodel the cabin each night.

Here is a video tour on SF cabin on the Gem (Pearl's sister ship): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9kDTdsOH10

For me the most important thing about the price difference is the length of the cruise and because it seems that your cruise is probably 11-nighter, the extra cost would be around $50pp/day which to me would be worth the upgrade.

As you can see from Sizzlechest's post, the perks and their worth are very subjective matters but for me the main reasons for booking suites are 1) breakfast in Cagney's and 2) the concierge (the priority "anything" plus the ability to make reservations even to MDRs on a peak hours on a short notice).

There are no free speciality coffees anywhere onboard outside your own suite and the machine makes decent tea from the pods too, plus for the coffee drinkers the ability to have good coffee straight from the machine immediately after waking up and going to the balcony watching the wake is something you can rarely experience elsewhere.

So I'd say that you should go for it since you have so long way to go and the pricing still seems quite ok. :)

The prices will rise closer to the cruise and because it's a Feb departure, they probably will stay high - on our upcoming Epic cruise the price of a lower balcony class is now several hundred pp more than it was 6 months ago when we booked, and it was even lower before.

It is worth it to me.

My suite for 3/20/13 on the sun saw all suites sold out over a year before sailing.

Don't forget, in addition to the cost difference are tips to the butler and concierge who do not share in the DSC.

I am another who thinks the breakfast in Cagney's is worth it. For the simple fact is is calmer and quieter way to start the day than trying to jockey in the buffet line on deck.

Also having coffee in your room when you want it is great. Not only in mornings but when getting ready for dinner.

As others have posted you need to know what is important to you but I think the suite perks are worth it.

Once you do it, sailing any other will be hard.

It should be noted that the MDRs are available for breakfast, and have many of the same items on the menu at Cagneys. Sure, you can't get the hockey puck sized steak and the Crab Benedict that most people give poor reviews. But the aft dining room is much nicer than Cagneys and you get just as good service.

Thanks everyone, I'm still undecided, but am leaning toward staying in the mini suites, and maybe waiting for the suite life for when we do the Panama Canal in 2017ish... Yes I am a long term planner... Lol

I am still a little unclear if things like soda and real juice are included in suite amenities, or for the real high level suites if bottles of alcohol and mixers are free... Or if you can just order those and have them in your room for a fee?

It should be noted that the MDRs are available for breakfast, and have many of the same items on the menu at Cagneys. Sure, you can't get the hockey puck sized steak and the Crab Benedict that most people give poor reviews. But the aft dining room is much nicer than Cagneys and you get just as good service.

Oh I so disagree with you. This couldn't be further than the truth!!!

Oh I so disagree with you. This couldn't be further than the truth!!!

I agree with DMH15 that Sizzlechest could not be further from the truth, There is no comparison MDR to Cagneys - NONE!

Sorry your experience in an NCL suite was so bad. What ship were you on and what type of suite?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks everyone, I'm still undecided, but am leaning toward staying in the mini suites, and maybe waiting for the suite life for when we do the Panama Canal in 2017ish... Yes I am a long term planner... Lol

I am still a little unclear if things like soda and real juice are included in suite amenities, or for the real high level suites if bottles of alcohol and mixers are free... Or if you can just order those and have them in your room for a fee?

Pop and alcohol are the higher-end suite amenities -- Owners suite and Garden Villas -- 3 bottles of alcohol in the Owners suite and 6 bottles in the Garden Villas. Sorry, can't answer about the juice! I've been in an OS and the GV, but I never asked for juice:o

just did a mock booking for 4 persons, using an 11 day feb 2015 itin. for the pearl. these would be your choices, and I'm sure you would be happy with any one you choose...

two Mini suites aft..........................$7228.00

two SF aft suites............................$8628.00 (has suite benefits)

ONE SC 2-bedroom suite on deck 11 $8229.00 (has suite benefits)

One 2-bedroom Haven suite deck 14 $10,029.00 (has suite plus Haven benefits)

These numbers might be different than your sailing. Just trying to let you see the difference between TWO SF's as opposed to ONE SC. All the suites usually come with $300 obc, and the single SC would only be $300 obc as opposed to 2 SF's with a total of $600 obc. You have some time to research your possibilities :D

Enjoy!

~Michele:)

Pop and alcohol are the higher-end suite amenities -- Owners suite and Garden Villas -- 3 bottles of alcohol in the Owners suite and 6 bottles in the Garden Villas. Sorry, can't answer about the juice! I've been in an OS and the GV, but I never asked for juice:o

They'll keep you supplied with whatever pitchers of juice you want. When we stayed in the GV on the Pearl our butler kept us supplied with big pitchers of orange juice, pineapple juice, and cranberry juice. When we stay in the SF's we stay supplied with orange and pineapple juices.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

I have no idea if you've ever been in a suite and had breakfast in Cagney's. But I will say, nothing on the breakfast menu in Cagney's is available in the MDR. Well, sorry, eggs are on both menus. The quiet, privacy and ambiance cannot compare. Cagney's is the one perk that always makes the suites worthwhile.

These are my favorite suite perks:

1. Being brought onto the ship by the butler without waiting on line and being brought directly to your suite to drop your bags while they are finishing up the cabin.

2. Eating breakfast & lunch in Cagney's. We never had to wait and it was never crowded. They set up a continental breakfast too if you just want to breeze in and out.

3. The concierge took care of all of our reservations and I did not book in advance. I never needed to worry about full or sold out. I imagine that the concierge holds spots to accommodate suite guests.

4. Room service from any restaurant at any time.

5. The Butler left milk and bedtime snacks for the kids. They almost always picked popcorn. It was great returning to chocolate covered strawberries.

6. Absolutely no wait to disembark.

This is my 4th cruise and 3 of the 4 have been in suites. The suite is absolutely worth it to me for the space alone!!

When you look at the price difference, divide the difference by how many days the cruise is.

Using the example for an 11 day cruise posted by OnTheGoMom921 If it is $1000 for 11 days in a SC suite which has two rooms that’s $ 90 a day for much bigger room and all the suite amenities. If you get $200 more OBC it drops to $72 a day.

We have only sailed in suites since we fell for the lure of the Suite Life. If we sailed more than once a year we probably would stop doing owners suites and just do the lowest suite class on the ship. But we do love the amenitites.:)

Ok the first cruise I ever did was 3years ago And My DW said suite or no go! so I opted for the suite romance on the jewel next was same on the star My next is DOS on the gem...Perks use them all just didnt have the butler unpack for us. We used him for everything else Cagneys for breakfast was great But I like it in my suite better P.S. you can have cagneys in your suite for breakfast too. there 's nothing like sitting on YOUR own balcony having your food paper and great view all in the comfort of your suite and in a robe:D... Who ever said breakfast in cagneys same mdr is totaly wrong .plus if you book far in advance it becomes alot cheaper but once you go this route it will be hard for you to turn back .....choose wisely.... But we only live once so if you can afford it go for it and have a blast.....p.s. 300 obc : if you get a bank of america norweigan cc you can build up lots of OBC and trips too

Joe

We recently had a similar situation for our 4/2014 booking on the Dawn. There is 4 in my family, and we originally had a mini-suite booked. My mother decided to come along, and didn't want to room by herself. We changed our booking to two adjoined balcony rooms. After looking at other options, we realized that an SJ Family Suite only cost a few more dollars than the two balconies after taking the OBC into consideration. This will be our first experience in a suite, and I do realize that it will end up being more expensive than the two balconies after tipping, but I'm OK with that.

Another great perk is the suite portable phone. My family had 3 suites and we were all able to stay in contact with each other.

I assume you're using these as a sort of walkie-talkie between the suites, while you're out and about the ship? Is there more than one in the suite, or is that only useful if you have multiple suites of people? I imagine it would be wonderful for people planning events (like weddings or conferences) aboard ship, but not so sure (at the moment) if it's just the two of you in the suite... Would it still serve a purpose with only one?

I would guess it can also be used to call your concierge and butler? I could see the use of that.

DML

Archived