"Must See" Things in Curacao

july128

• 1 month later...

:D Thank you for the link to the map and for all the advice! This is fantastic. We are cruising in a few weeks and will be here for the day. It's my husband and I and two kids travelling. If we do the walking tour of Willemstad, will we still have time for a beach and can you recommend one not too far from the cruise port? We are in port from 8am to 4pm.

I have read about the bridge, does the bridge really swing, how long is this bridge and read something about when the bell goes off you can't get to the other side, how long does that last and why can't you go on the bridge when the bell goes off. Is there a certain time the bell goes off. Just want to make sure we are on the right side so we don't miss our boat.

Per Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Emma_Bridge, the bridge is 167 m (548 ft) long. The "hinge" is on the Otrabanda side & the bridge pivots counter-clockwise.

If the bell goes off when you're on the bridge, and you can't make it across in time, you'll get a once-in-a-lifetime experience of riding on a moving pontoon bridge! :D

Yes, it happened to us...we heard the bell, we started walking quickly toward the Punda side...but my DW is not a fast walker...ooops! Her toe caught on something, she hit the deck before I could react. Skinned her knee. The bridge waits for no man. :eek:

No worries, the bridge moves quite slowly, movement is hardly perceptible, and we got a great view of a large tanker passing through the channel. All in all, no more than a 10-15 minute delay. No permanent damage, once we got ashore, we got her knee all cleaned and banaged up. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anybody know about how much a taxi or "bus" ride to Chobolobo is? I know its kind of small, but I really would be interested in visiting (I am a big Brewery/Distillery/Winery fan, and even if its just a self-guided tour, I think its worth it for me).

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Our first cruise in 2005 went to Curacao. My wife and I enjoyed walking the city...all sorts of things to see. We felt welcomed and never felt we were in a "bad" area, even in the Round market where the were chopping fish to sell! We loved shopping the floating market on the river and visiting shops and seeing the sites. You will love it.

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Forums mobile app

• 3 months later...
Our first cruise in 2005 went to Curacao. My wife and I enjoyed walking the city...all sorts of things to see. We felt welcomed and never felt we were in a "bad" area, even in the Round market where the were chopping fish to sell! We loved shopping the floating market on the river and visiting shops and seeing the sites. You will love it.

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Forums mobile app

Where (which #) is the floating market on the map? Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
Any suggestions for lunch with a water view? Our first time there and we are thinking of doing a self-walking tour.

Thanks so much!

I'd also love recommendations for lunch downtown.

Thank you

Debr

Any suggestions for lunch with a water view? Our first time there and we are thinking of doing a self-walking tour.

Thanks so much!

I'm interested as well. We're going to do a short excursion, then walk around the rest of the time there. A nice local lunch spot would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Did I read correctly that the shops close around 5 p.m.? Our cruise ship is in port until 10 p.m. . What would you do for the whole day and then the evening?? We are traveling with a large group with no children. All in our 50's to early 60s.

I would love to hear your thoughts!

Thank you,

God Bless!

Blessed Cruiser

• 4 months later...
I printed off a PDF map of a self-guided walking tour from this site: http://www.curacao.com/Plan-Your-Trip/Cruisers#.

These maps look great! We will be in port from 8am to 8pm. If we used these maps for a self-guided walking tour in the morning, about how long would it take? Would it be feasible then to catch a cab to a beach for a few hours in the afternoon? Which beach(es) would be close enough to the port to do this? Thanks!

Thanks for the map. We're visiting in February of next year on the Sunshine. We're taking the 2 hour Tuk Tuk Willemstad tour. This will help us to decide where we want our guide to take us. One place I plan to go is Fort Nassau, which has an outstanding view of the harbor...