New UK Visitor

Coolhand

Hello UK experienced cruisers! DW and I are traveling to London for a four day precruise visit and need to know a few things.

1. Since we will be there 4 days do we need to apply for visitor visas?

2. Best way to get from Heathrow A/P to Hotel?

3. Best way to geat around London from our Hotel to see the sights?

4. Best way to get from Hotel in London to Dover cruiseport on the morning of Departure?

Please help as this is will be our only chance to see London.

:):)

It depends on where you're from.

It depends on your hotel.

3. Best way to geat around London from our Hotel to see the sights?

Get yourself a good London Transportation map and a pay-as-you-go Oyster card (both can be obtained at an underground station), and ride buses.

4. Best way to get from Hotel in London to Dover cruiseport on the morning of Departure?

I would take the train. I believe National Express bus is also possible.

Much the same response as Globaliser.

There's various options LHR to central London & for central London to Dover.

Choose a hotel on other criteria & we can suggest best method for that hotel.

Ho-ho bus for your first day (or split it over a 24-hour period) makes a deal of sense, it will give you a good overview.

Two competing companies:

http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/london/

or

http://www.theoriginaltour.com/

And the main route of those buses give you an idea of the location of tourist-London.

A hotel within or close to that route will do the job.

Handy to a tube station will also make life a great deal easier.

My own preference is for somewhere around Westminster Bridge, where you'll find the highest concentration of sights within walking distance, plus plenty of pubs & eateries to suit all pockets & tastes. But no hotel is close to everything, wherever you are based. So anywhere between Buckingham Palace & Tower Bridge will be OK - when your ho-ho ticket expires the tube (London's metro) will get you quickly to anywhere in central London.

http://www.tubemap.com/

The tube is very comprehensive, quite daunting to start with but very easy when you get the hang of it. Use a regular tourist map to figure where you want to go & the nearest tube station, use the tube map only to navigate the tube system.

Various tube ticketing options, none of which this country boy understands :confused: so take Globaliser's advice.

JB :)

Hello UK experienced cruisers! DW and I are traveling to London for a four day precruise visit and need to know a few things.

As was said, depending on where you are from. For anyone from the USA no.

First you need to find a hotel. Then, there are several ways to to the trip. You can use a Black Taxi (very expensive), you can use the train, but then you have to haul all your luggage. You can use the bus, but then you probably would have to take a taxi to your hotel. That said, there are a few what they call airport car services. We used one called 'simplyairports'. You can make all the arrangements before you go thru their web site. They will send a car to pick you up and deliver you to your hotel and they are about 1/2 the price of a taxi, and for the most part, excellent service. There are several of these companies around.

3. Best way to get around London from our Hotel to see the sights?

Depending on where your hotel is, the Tube is the best way to go, or just use your two feet. Parts of London are fairly compact, and other things are spread out. With 4 days there, you should do the HoHo bus for one day. That will take you on a grand tour of London, passing all the major sights, and you can get on and off as many times as you like to visit whichever sights you would want to. After that, buy an Oyster card which will allow you to use the tube system for a better price. The Tubes are so efficient and will get you to most parts of London in about 20- 30 minutes.

4. Best way to get from Hotel in London to Dover cruise port on the morning of Departure?

Depending on your financial situation, you could hire a taxi, or service to take you door to door, but,a s I said before, these are very expensive. The train is a very good choice, cheaper and the quickest way, but again you have to take care of your luggage, and you will need a taxi at Dover to get you to the cruise terminal. The third choice is the National Express Bus which is the way we went. A bit longer ride, maybe 2 1/2 hours, but very efficient, nice easy ride and much, much, much cheaper than either of the other two option. In fact, I believe they still have what they call ;'fun fares; where you can book your trip for 5 pounds or less pp each way. WE caught the bus at 8:30 AM out of Victoria Coach station and we were in Dover at 11:00. Now the bus isn't suppose to take you to the terminal, but most times, the driver will, for a nice tip, which is all the better for you as it saves you the taxi fare.

Please help as this is will be our only chance to see London.

London is a great town, so much to see and so little time to do it. But with some good planning you can get a great taste of this city and have the time of your life.

Cheers

Len

OK I made an assumption, my bad. Yes DW and I are US citizens with USA Passports. I heard somewhere you were only allowed to visit in transit to the cruise for 48Hr period any longer would require a VISA and at a cost. I'm trying to verify if this is an urban legend or a true fact that we will need a visa or not.

We will be staying at the MARRIOTT located nearby Heathrow.

Does the National Express Bus pick you up from your hotel or do we have to carry luggage to a central pickup point/terminal.

Note: Last time we traveled to a Cruise (SEATTLE), DW said Oh we can catch the Metro train and walk to the Hotel with luggage. Guess what it was six Blocks UPHILL I had to carry one bag up, come back get the other, come back get the other, etc for six blocks as wife turned her ankle trying to carry her bags. SO no more lugging.

John Bull can read my mind: I agree with everything you put in that post.

;) :D

Ah, great minds... :D

OK I made an assumption, my bad. Yes DW and I are US citizens with USA Passports. I heard somewhere you were only allowed to visit in transit to the cruise for 48Hr period any longer would require a VISA and at a cost. I'm trying to verify if this is an urban legend or a true fact that we will need a visa or not.

OK we've got something to work with here! I've heard the 48-hour transit thing... for Turkey. Not for the UK. You'll be fine with just a passport (but never a bad thing to ask, as the last thing you want is to be denied your vacation because you overlooked something like this).

Is there any particular reason you've chosen this hotel? Not that there's anything wrong with the property (actually, I've heard lots of positive about the property), but schlepping back and forth from LHR to Central London for 4 days - especially when you're cruising out of Dover, which is the other direction - makes no sense, unless you have a compelling reason to stay here.

Does the National Express Bus pick you up from your hotel or do we have to carry luggage to a central pickup point/terminal.

No, you'll have to get yourself to the bus station.

Note: Last time we traveled to a Cruise (SEATTLE), DW said Oh we can catch the Metro train and walk to the Hotel with luggage. Guess what it was six Blocks UPHILL I had to carry one bag up, come back get the other, come back get the other, etc for six blocks as wife turned her ankle trying to carry her bags. SO no more lugging.

I hear you re: lugging bags, although after a train-and-cruise vacation in the Med last fall I'm a born-again backpacker. But even with what most term "cruise luggage", here's what I would do in your situation:

-Heathrow Express or Connect to Central London - you can wheel your luggage cart right to the entrance of the platform, so we're talking a maximum of 10 feet of very easy lugging;

-Taxi from Paddington to your Central London hotel - there will be luggage carts at this end as well;

-On embarkation day, taxi from hotel to Charing Cross/Victoria/St. Pancras for train to Dover - here again, luggage cart to platform, throw bags onto train, very easy;

-Taxi from Dover Priory to pier.

All of this is very flat walking, with luggage carts most of the way. And pack a pressure bandage for your DW's ankle just in case... :D

I heartily agree with Twickenham about where you have chosen to stay. You would be MUCH wiser to book a hotel anywhere in London. sure there are preferable locations, close to many of the attractions, but you can get anywhere fairly quickly via the Tube.

It is at least 1/2 an hour trip each way from Heathrow to London by train and that time could be much better spent seeing London than riding on the train.

Cheers

Len

Thank you so much for the responses,

As for the Marriott it is because of points saved but we can use them on another trip since the concensus seems to be stay in central LONDON. Any ideas in a safe neighborhood/places to stay?

PS. We will travel with DW ankle brace just in case.:):p

Nice to hear it is flatland there!!!!!

As for the Marriott it is because of points saved but we can use them on another trip since the concensus seems to be stay in central LONDON. Any ideas in a safe neighborhood/places to stay?

As I thought. As a Marriott Gold Elite member who has spent considerable time analysing how to use her points in London:D, a few thoughts:

-Firstly, using MR points for a 4-night stay is a terrible waste, because Marriott gives you the 5th night free on awards stays, so you're essentially throwing away a completely free night. If there's any way you can extend your pre-cruise stay to 5 nights, please do;

-The LHR Marriott is a Cat. 6. There are 3 other Cat. 6 hotels that, while not being quite Central London, are certainly better locations for touring than a LHR hotel: Marriott Maida Vale, Marriott Regents Park and Marriott West India Quay.

-If you can up the points a bit (well, by 40,000), you have a wide aray of choices in the heart of the action. I can personally recommend the Grosvenor House, but given your need for transport to Dover I would be tempted to go with the Renaissance at St. Pancras, thus eliminating a taxi trip in the itinerary I gave in my other post.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Though I guess you don't need yet another Limey telling you that you really don't want to be stuck out at an airport hotel for 3 or 4 nights.

Best left to those with a 24 hour stop-over between flying in & flying out.

Anywhere between Buck House and Tower Bridge, along the south bank of the river or up to a mile north of the river, will be fine.

BTW, there's a new door-to-door cruise tour-transfer coach service between central London hotels & Dover cruise terminal, with a stop en-route at Leeds Castle.

Established & reputable operator, but this particular service is quite new so feedback might be hard to find.

http://www.internationalfriends.co.uk/dover-cruise-bus-from-central-london-heathrow-hotels-via-leeds-castle.html

JB :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all for the information provided. We have swicthed hotels to the Marriott County Hall by the Eye. Question I have now is Ho ho can be bought at Hotel? Is there a one card fits all modes of transportation that includes trips on the Thames Riverboats I have read about as well as the tube and local attractions? Or must we purchase independent tickets at each venue?:):)

Respectfully

Coolhand

Thank you all for the information provided. We have swicthed hotels to the Marriott County Hall by the Eye. Question I have now is Ho ho can be bought at Hotel? Is there a one card fits all modes of transportation that includes trips on the Thames Riverboats I have read about as well as the tube and local attractions? Or must we purchase independent tickets at each venue?:):)

Respectfully

Coolhand

An excellent choice. I've heard nothing but good things about the CH Marriott, and the location is excellent.

As for touring - I repeat my suggestion of getting yourself a good London Transportation map and a pay-as-you-go Oyster card (both can be obtained at an underground station). If you absolutely want to do the HOHO bus, you'll have to get a separate ticket (usually purchased at their first stop), but for everything else (buses, boats, underground), you can use your Oyster card.

Hi

If you leave your hotel , cross Westminster bridge and walk into Whitehall you will find people selling ho ho tickets and the buses. Its about 10 minutes. Its also possible to buy the tickets on line but not sure if this gives you any saving. Your new hotel is very centrally located so you will easily come across tourist info.

I know that everyone recommends the underground and it is very useful but its also possible to walk around many central London highlights.

Archived