Scrapnana

Making a blog?

[quote name='Wansbrough']Its been nice to read how others are approaching writing their blogs. My preference is Wordpress [U][COLOR=Red]which you can write, upload & position photos all while off line. It even deals with resizing the images so they are not huge when trying to upload.[/COLOR][/U][/quote]

I forgot to mention that the above is only if you use the Wordpress App and not a PC. I have the Android App on my smart phone and on my Asus TF101, both of which work really well with it.

It is also available for iOS but not being a fan or user I couldn't comment on its use. :) I would have thought it should be the same though. :cool:

The Android app for Blogger also permits you to create a blog post offline and, at a later time, publish the post. When I'm traveling with only my Android tablet, I switch between posting via the app and online. I do find that I prefer online posting and will generally create text content offline and then cut/paste the material into the new post.

Bob

As I don't use Apple products, smartphones or Win 8, I have been searching for a way to create Wordpress posts offline using my laptop, which runs Win 7.

I believe I have found a viable option, as Microsoft WebMatrix can now work with Wordpress code, permitting you to work with Wordpress posts offline. While still researching the usability of this option, it is looking promising and I will probably download it shortly.

Here is one of the sites I reviewed - [url]http://www.microsoft.com/web/post/your-first-website-using-webmatrix[/url]

From what I have read so far, you can still use the Wordpress dashboard to create/edit posts, but that must be online, the WebMatrix provides an additional option to create/edit posts and can be used offline. Once internet access is available, you log into WebMatrix and hit "Publish".

Still very much a novice at blogging/website design, so would be interested in comments from others that have used this option.

After some additional research I have found an easier option for creating Wordpress posts offline with my laptop - Microsoft Live Writer.

It basically looks like a basic version of M/S Word and you can create text, format it and add/position photographs. When finished you can save it to the local drive and once you have an internet connection you can post it directly to your blog or upload it as a draft.

When trying to download it I found it already installed, so it is a free option that comes with M/S Office.

Wondering if anyone has used Wix.com. They SEEM to have a nice setup for blogging and you can fairly easily adjust anything you want on there. Currently use Wordpress.com but I don't like you can't use Google Analytics until you buy their business plan. Or maybe Google Analytics isn't a big deal. Thoughts?

I use Travelpod. I just compose the blog offline, then cut and paste. I have found that by only uploading 5 pictures at a time, it goes much faster. If I have a free internet connection, then I do 10 at a time. I budget my internet time to 30 minutes a blog and if I am having trouble with the internet connection, just do fewer pictures and add more later. I rarely have to do that.

Travelopod also has an email feature where you can email pictures to your blog and it will automatically add them to your entry. They show up as Mobile 1, Mobile 2 etc, but you can edit them later. If you take a lot of pictures with your phone, it comes in handy.

Try different formats and see what you like. Just like cruise lines, there is no one size fits all.

I love blogging about my travel experience, but am often frustrated at how much internet time it eats up while I'm afloat. I use blogger because it seems more intuitive and use-friendly than wordpress.

Can you recommend any tools to quickly format a post offline so I can then upload it quickly once I sign in?

Thanks,
Aquadesiac
103 Days Afloat & Counting...
[URL="http://2016southpacific.blogspot.com/"]Looking for Bali Hai[/URL] ~ 2016 HAL 30 day Hawaii & South Pacific Cruise :cool:

[quote name='Aquadesiac']I love blogging about my travel experience, but am often frustrated at how much internet time it eats up while I'm afloat. I use blogger because it seems more intuitive and use-friendly than wordpress.

Can you recommend any tools to quickly format a post offline so I can then upload it quickly once I sign in?

Thanks,
Aquadesiac
103 Days Afloat & Counting...
[URL="http://2016southpacific.blogspot.com/"]Looking for Bali Hai[/URL] ~ 2016 HAL 30 day Hawaii & South Pacific Cruise :cool:[/QUOTE]

If you are a windows user, the Open Source Live Writer (used to be Windows Live Writer) is the absolute best offline editor. I have been unable to find anything that works equally well with Mac, so I went so far as to create a Win partition on my MacBook Air just for this software. ([url]http://openlivewriter.org/[/url])

I mean H2s04.

I'll give that Windows app a try. My computer's been a little glitchy lately though. The other day I accepted a Windows update and when it was done, all my document files seemed to be gone. Trying not to panic, I shut it down for about 15 minutes and when I crossed my fingers and booted it back up, the files were back.

Oh, there's so much I don't know about tech stuff... Edited by Aquadesiac

[COLOR=#212121][FONT=arial]If you like to write articles about what I love, I recommend doing a free blogger like blogger.com, Wordpress.com.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#212121][FONT=arial]Easily create articles without difficulty.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#212121][FONT=arial]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=arial][URL="https://www.gclub365.com/"][COLOR=#ffffff]Gclub[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
[COLOR=#212121][FONT=arial]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

I do use Blogger, John and find it easier to work with than Wordpress. What I was trying to do was learn to use the offline windows blog program so I can complete my posts and use as few precious minutes of shipboard internet to get them uploaded. Beginning to think I might be better off to just write a Word document and copy & paste the post onto my blog when I have good wifi access. I was hoping that Open Live Writer would let me format my photos into the post and transfer it all over quickly in polished form, but it doesn't seem to do that well.

[quote name='Aquadesiac']I do use Blogger, John and find it easier to work with than Wordpress. What I was trying to do was learn to use the offline windows blog program so I can complete my posts and use as few precious minutes of shipboard internet to get them uploaded. Beginning to think I might be better off to just write a Word document and copy & paste the post onto my blog when I have good wifi access. I was hoping that Open Live Writer would let me format my photos into the post and transfer it all over quickly in polished form, but it doesn't seem to do that well.[/quote]

I write my blog entries offline in a word processing app and then cut and paste. I have not found any way to add pictures on blogspot except when I am online. Resizing your photos so they don't take forever to upload is essential.

Hi All,

Hope everyone have fun blogging.

Just sharing our full Baltic Cruise review here... :)

[URL]http://discoverbooktravel.blogspot.com/2016/07/baltic-cruise-southampton-trip-report.html[/URL]

[quote name='Aquadesiac']I do use Blogger, John and find it easier to work with than Wordpress. What I was trying to do was learn to use the offline windows blog program so I can complete my posts and use as few precious minutes of shipboard internet to get them uploaded. Beginning to think I might be better off to just write a Word document and copy & paste the post onto my blog when I have good wifi access. I was hoping that Open Live Writer would let me format my photos into the post and transfer it all over quickly in polished form, but it doesn't seem to do that well.[/quote]

I use Open Live Writer for my writing. If not for it, I wouldn't be blogging at all. I tend to upload my photos to Smugmug first and then insert a link to that photo into the blog using the html tab at the bottom. The blog loads a lot faster because the photo is already online. That said, most of my friends insert photos from their computers into the OLW post before uploading, so I know that works too. Not sure what you mean by formatting the photos in OLW, but I might be able to give some pointers once I am home in July. Always happy to answer questions.

P.S. As far as I've been able to figure out, you can copy and paste text from a word processor into blogger posts, but then you have to insert photos using blogger's online user interface. If someone has figured out how to copy and paste photos from word processor into blogger, I'd love to hear about it.

Hi,
Just saw this conversation. For the past 8 years I have been blogging with Travel-pod and loved it's ease. Then when Yahoo got sold it went up in smoke last month.

I first tried WordPress.com but found it very confusing and complex after hours and hours and it only allows one pic. I just downloaded Medium at someone's suggestion but haven't yet committed the time to learn it. Does anyone have a comparison of Blogger to Medium? I just want an easy format for writing and inserting pics in the print.

Leaving on a trip in a month and need to get this working! Thanks for any thoughts.

Cheers,
Gail

I use Tumblr, and it's very easy to use (and free!). Feel free to check out my blog at [url]https://www.tumblr.com/blog/cruisingtravelgal[/url]. For you seasoned cruisers, feel free to share any tips you may have regarding the topics posted. It's not completely set up yet, as it is fairly new and I haven't had much time to play around with it in terms of design.

[quote name='broadwaybaby123']I use Tumblr, and it's very easy to use (and free!). Feel free to check out my blog at [URL]https://www.tumblr.com/blog/cruisingtravelgal[/URL]. For you seasoned cruisers, feel free to share any tips you may have regarding the topics posted. It's not completely set up yet, as it is fairly new and I haven't had much time to play around with it in terms of design.[/quote]

Clicking your link takes me to a page where I need to sign up. I can't seem to get past it without setting up a Tumblr account. That's a shame as I can't even see your blog. I wouldn't want to force friends to join Tumblr just to see my blog. Is there a workaround?

[quote name='h2so4']Clicking your link takes me to a page where I need to sign up. I can't seem to get past it without setting up a Tumblr account. That's a shame as I can't even see your blog. I wouldn't want to force friends to join Tumblr just to see my blog. Is there a workaround?[/QUOTE]
I don't know, I'm fairly new to Tumblr myself.

Sent from my LGL22C using [URL=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=76452]Forums mobile app[/URL]

I used Blogger for my blogs for a couple of reasons:
1. It's kind of idiot proof. I'm not terribly technical, but Blogger is what my techie DH calls "intuitive."
2. If I click on the right settings, anyone can see it and leave a comment. If you have a gmail address, it's real easy, but even if you don't, I allow anonymous comments as well.
3. WordPress makes my brain hurt. I know I could probably do more cool stuff with that platform, but then I'd have to learn how to[I] do[/I] that cool stuff.

Just my two cents. Happy blogging! (You can click the links in my signature if you'd like to see what I'm up to!)

Hi, I am new to blogging.:) I have read all posts and as I can see there is no certain opinion which tool is better to use for a blog...But what would you suggest for the beginner? I was looking for some good guidelines for the new blogger and [URL="https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/hosting/blogs/tips-for-successful-blogging-part-1-creating-a-blog/"]ended up my search with this article[/URL]. It gives clear guidelines how to create a blog but it also suggests 3 tools: WordPress, Blogger, and Tumblr. What do you think? Because I am lost...

[quote name='fiona5']Hi, I am new to blogging.:) I have read all posts and as I can see there is no certain opinion which tool is better to use for a blog...But what would you suggest for the beginner? I was looking for some good guidelines for the new blogger and [URL="https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/hosting/blogs/tips-for-successful-blogging-part-1-creating-a-blog/"]ended up my search with this article[/URL]. It gives clear guidelines how to create a blog but it also suggests 3 tools: WordPress, Blogger, and Tumblr. What do you think? Because I am lost...[/quote]

I think it'll come down to what you're comfortable with. Blogger works best for me because I'm not the sharpest pixel in the techno-shed. If you are more tech saavy, go for Wordpress. I know nothing about Tumblr, but the fact that it seems to require your readers to have a Tumblr account will limit your readership. If you only want friends and family to read your blog that might be fine.

My advice is to jump into something with both feet and see how you like it. If you don't, you can always change to another platform. Just be sure to get comfortable with it before you set sail!

Happy blogging!

[quote name='fiona5']Hi, I am new to blogging.:) I have read all posts and as I can see there is no certain opinion which tool is better to use for a blog...But what would you suggest for the beginner? I was looking for some good guidelines for the new blogger and [URL="https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/hosting/blogs/tips-for-successful-blogging-part-1-creating-a-blog/"]ended up my search with this article[/URL]. It gives clear guidelines how to create a blog but it also suggests 3 tools: WordPress, Blogger, and Tumblr. What do you think? Because I am lost...[/quote]

I'm a Blogger user for about 7 years, and I honestly feel that it is easier to use than Wordpress (which I have tried), but part of my opinion is based on the fact that I don't like that there isn't an easy archive feature for Wordpress ... at least not one that I found. As Aquadesiac says below, jump into one of the platforms and see how it feels. Keep the format simple. If you are a Windows user, I would recommend Open LiveWriter for composing your blog offline and then uploading when you are ready. I find this works especially well if you are traveling and don't have reliable/fast internet all the time.

P.S. I don't know anything about Tumblr, except that I can't seem to read any of those blogs unless I have my own account. I don't like asking my readers to set up accounts just to read my blogs, so I've not looked into that option myself.

By the way, I did not read the article all the way through, but I disagree that free blog platforms offer limited space or customization ... some may, but blogger does not unless you really want to get into the back end of things, in which case you need to know html. For the generalist blogger, the features/gadgets available on Blogger are more than sufficient. The article has some good pointers, but IMHO it makes blogging seem more complicated than it is.

Have fun setting up and writing your blog. Come back to us with a link so we can follow along. And if you get stuck, feel free to ask questions.

Thank you so much for such detailed reply! It is really useful for me to get such tips. As I can see it is really better to with WordPress. Then I will try with WordPress and see how it goes. Anz other tips?