Electric items

trutru

Me again sorry ,ive read that some ladies had to get a hairdryer from reception because the ones from home were very slow on the ship and also that their hair straighteners didnt work at all .If i cant do my hair im stuck in my cabin my straighteners are my life . Any help would be great .:)

Me again sorry ,ive read that some ladies had to get a hairdryer from reception because the ones from home were very slow on the ship and also that their hair straighteners didnt work at all .If i cant do my hair im stuck in my cabin my straighteners are my life . Any help would be great .:)

Other than hair dryers , all other other electrical appliances are forbidden.

Hi again Trutru....I take my own hairdryer which is a travel one with two different settings one for 110 and one for 240 you will need the 110 setting on IE......most girls who use straighteners take them so not a problem but you will need to get some 'travel' ones....I think I've read Argos sell them! I don't use them as my hair is straight anyway!!

No kettles or irons allowed but never heard anyone banning straighteners!!!:)

Oh thank you, i wish mine was straight lol i will look to see how much they are ,if there is a hair salon on ship how much do you think it would be just for them to straighten it for me ? just another option may be .:) My hair dryer is only small slightly bigger than a travel one and has twoo settings so should be ok with that one .:)

Get onboard and go straight to reception for a hairdryer, my travel one was very slow the first time on IE and was more or less useless and I was too late for a hairdryer by the time I found out. The hairdryer from reception worked fine the second cruise on IE. I took my travel straighteners but they didn't work well either, I do believe from other members that you can get a better heat up if you use the sockets in the corridors where the staff plug in the vacuum cleaners. Otherwise it's down to straightening with the blow dry attachment on the hairdryer and a large brush. Not great but plenty of hairspray does the trick.:):)

Jan

Thank you Ekco we board ship about 12 midday so i will go and get a hairdryer from reception do i have to hire it for the week ? as for the straighteners i will take mine and plug it in the hall way and take a small mirror lol im going to be the naughty one of the whole ship i think xx:):)

Hi trutru

Dual Voltage (110 - 240v) travel hairdryers are ok so long as the wattage is decent. I once bough a Samsonite travel hairdryer which was both lightweight and compact. It was so slow that I reverted to my old one which is goodness knows how old. On examination I discovered that it was only 800w and my original is 1200w. No comparison.

The secret is to look for a dual voltage travel hairdryer, which is smaller than normal, with a high wattage. Remember to switch to 110v on ships and change back to 240v for UK and you should have no problems.

I stopped taking mine for a few years once hairdryers became standard but on some ships the dryer is in the bathroom which is normally full of steam so have started taking it again so that I can sit at the dressing table in comfort.;)

Wouldn't fancy trying to dry my hair in the corridor outside cabins in a state of undress - no privacy and plug may not be outside your own cabin.:eek::)

Thank you Skion its a nightmare lol i will go anywere in the corridor to dry straighten my hair i know i will get funny looks but i got to have my hair straight lol mostly for the evenings ,but i will get dressed i think first hahahaahaa .:D

Thank you Skion its a nightmare lol i will go anywere in the corridor to dry straighten my hair i know i will get funny looks but i got to have my hair straight lol mostly for the evenings ,but i will get dressed i think first hahahaahaa .

Hi trutru

There might be a queue. Maybe someone's extension lead could be used so that there was a communal hairdressing session.:D I have seen on some ships that the socket is placed up high instead of at floor level.:eek:

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide to do and stop stresssing about your tresses.:)

You can keep the hairdryer for your whole trip, just take it back before you leave. It's a pity the IE doesn't get up to date with Thomson's other ships and have them in the cabin. I have to say I didn't see anyone in the corridor, just what I read on Thomson forum, you could ask the steward about it. For me though, I gave up after a couple of days and went 'au natural'. I got through the first 2 days with doing my hair just before we left then using a shower cap but after a couple of promenades around the windy deck I thought "What's the flipping point?" lol and tied it up. It does seem a bit hit and miss with the travel straighteners though, mine are one of the originals, I think, and I'm not sure how high wattage the cabin electrics can take. If I were you I would post on Thomson forum as I've seen this discussed before on there so you should get plenty of good advice. The hairdressing salon is on deck 10 and usually have any offers on a blackboard outside.:):)

Jan

RR believe me you wont want to see me with out my hair straightend i look like ive been dragged over a hedge backwards or just got off a motorbike with no helmet lol and thats with or without a drink hahahaaaa :D:)

I don't see what all the fuss is about you ladies all look lovely on a night out at night and in the Drinking Establishments :D

You're right, we do look lovely.....through the bottom of a glass. lol.:D:D

Jan

Archived