Port of call; La Romana Dominican Republic

tazprey

Sailing on Carnival Breeze at the end of March, one of the ports of call is La Romana. Having difficulty deciding on doing an excursion or staying on the ship. Most of the reviews that I've read mention that the guests stayed on the ship instead of doing an excursion. We've narrowed it down to two; Taino Indian Cave and Catamaran sail and snorkel. Has anyone taken either of these? Were they worth it? Should we just stay on ship? Is there any other excursion we should consider?

We were there OCt 2013 and loved it!!! We booked from the ship excursions and did the Bayahibe beach resort. All inclusive including lunch. Most beautiful beach and large resort pool with swim up bar. Would love to go back to stay at the resort some day. Large buses took us there.

Edited by Douglase

• 2 weeks later...

I just visited La Romana and actually had a good time. By researching prior to arrival, I knew that downtown wasn't the place to go. My cruise mate and i left the ship, and turned right just after getting into the area where the tours meet. There is a shuttle desk there where you can pay $7 roundtrip to Altos De Chavon which is part of the Casa De Campo resort. We were able to tour Altos on our own, have a nice lunch, purchase some great jewelry and take some great photos at the river and the Coliseum. There were no crowds so we could move at our own pace. It was a great few hours and we didn't get caught in the chaos and poverty of the downtown area.