Hurtigruten Excursions

ILoveScotland

One last line of questions before I head to Norway in less than a month.

As I've said in previous posts I booked through a travel company. Included in the "tour" are walking tours in each port and a few excursions. However, I am also considering booking a couple of Hurtigruten excursions not included in the "tour."

So, I'm wondering if anyone can give me an opinion about these two:

1. The excursion to the North Cape. I know I will go on that one but would still like thoughts and experiences.

2. Dog sledding. There are two excursions, but the one I'm considering is the one out of Kirkenes.

If anyone has another excursion you'd recommend, I'd love to hear about that one as well.

Thanks as usual.

Beth

We were on the Hurtegruten round trip over New Years this year, and had booked the dog sledding excursion in both Tromso and Kirkenes. Our trip in Tromso got cancelled because of weather, so I can't compare the two, except to say I'm glad we reserved the Kirkenes one.

The Kirkenes dog sledding was more than just the dog sledding. The excursion takes place on the grounds at the Ice Hotel. You have time to walk around the Ice Hotel, see the various rooms, take pictures, and things like that. It was really interesting and was our first time to see such a place. They also have a few reindeer in a fenced in area and the dog camp. There's a bit of time to see these animals, although you do not get to pet the puppies or play with the dogs like you can on similar trips in Alaska.

We'd been dog sledding on a glacier in Alaska, and this experience was quite different. The track is around a moderate size lake and we went at a relaxing pace. I'd say we were on the sled for maybe 15 minutes or so - plenty of time to enjoy the scenery, the ride, and the dogs. About ten sleds went out for our group, and we were in the second one. That gave us a nice view of sleds and dogs in front and behind us.

This excursion took up the entire time we were in Kerkenes, although I don't think there was much else to do there. I'd definitely do the excursion again.

Have fun on your trip - I thought the voyage was magical!

We were on the Hurtegruten round trip over New Years this year, and had booked the dog sledding excursion in both Tromso and Kirkenes. Our trip in Tromso got cancelled because of weather, so I can't compare the two, except to say I'm glad we reserved the Kirkenes one.

The Kirkenes dog sledding was more than just the dog sledding. The excursion takes place on the grounds at the Ice Hotel. You have time to walk around the Ice Hotel, see the various rooms, take pictures, and things like that. It was really interesting and was our first time to see such a place. They also have a few reindeer in a fenced in area and the dog camp. There's a bit of time to see these animals, although you do not get to pet the puppies or play with the dogs like you can on similar trips in Alaska.

We'd been dog sledding on a glacier in Alaska, and this experience was quite different. The track is around a moderate size lake and we went at a relaxing pace. I'd say we were on the sled for maybe 15 minutes or so - plenty of time to enjoy the scenery, the ride, and the dogs. About ten sleds went out for our group, and we were in the second one. That gave us a nice view of sleds and dogs in front and behind us.

This excursion took up the entire time we were in Kerkenes, although I don't think there was much else to do there. I'd definitely do the excursion again.

Have fun on your trip - I thought the voyage was magical!

Just the kind of endorsement I was hoping I'd get. The description says the dog sledding is done near the Ice Hotel, but I didn't know there was a chance to actually visit it. I have been on one Alaskan cruise but didn't go dog sledding. I looked at the Tomso excursion, but this one sounded better because of the location.

Thank you.

Beth

I have done only the North Cape excursion (and actually, I've done it three times now! ;) ). I don't know if I would do it in the summer, but in winter it's quite an experience. The bus ride across the island of Mageroya is beautiful (stunning landscape under the snow) and you have the North Cape site almost to yourself (only the Hurtigruten passengers + sometimes a few other private cars). Yes, it is a tourist trap (you have to walk through the souvenir shop to get to the cliff and the famous globe) but still it's a stunning location and if the weather is clear the view on the cliffs is breathtaking. And then you can post your mail home and say you've been to the northernmost point in Europe (which is actually not true, but who cares? ;) ). And there is not much to do in Honningsvag, so in the winter I would really recommend this excursion.

Here is my blog entry for this excursion last March (about the same season you are going) :

http://voyageterremer.blogspot.fr/2012/03/cap-nord.html

I also have heard great feedbacks about the Vesteraalen excursion on the southbound leg.

I have done only the North Cape excursion (and actually, I've done it three times now! ;) ). I don't know if I would do it in the summer, but in winter it's quite an experience. The bus ride across the island of Mageroya is beautiful (stunning landscape under the snow) and you have the North Cape site almost to yourself (only the Hurtigruten passengers + sometimes a few other private cars). Yes, it is a tourist trap (you have to walk through the souvenir shop to get to the cliff and the famous globe) but still it's a stunning location and if the weather is clear the view on the cliffs is breathtaking. And then you can post your mail home and say you've been to the northernmost point in Europe (which is actually not true, but who cares? ;) ). And there is not much to do in Honningsvag, so in the winter I would really recommend this excursion.

Here is my blog entry for this excursion last March (about the same season you are going) :

http://voyageterremer.blogspot.fr/2012/03/cap-nord.html

I also have heard great feedbacks about the Vesteraalen excursion on the southbound leg.

Again, thank you. I had read that the North Cape isn't actually the northernmost point of Europe, but I can pretend it is. I do have problems with heights so will stay away from the edge of the cliffs. But even my fear won't keep me from going.

Beth

You can't actually be right on the edge of the cliff, there are fences everywhere. But the coast is not straight so from the North Cape you can see (if the weather is clear, which is not always) the cliffs of the coast on either side. But you can't really peer down, except on the point I took my picture of the globe, but even there you can't get close to the edge and there are fences. You should be fine (I'm a bit afraid of heights myself).

Wear really warm clothes, it is cold and it can get quite windy.

PS : I'm in Oslo right now and tomorrow evening I board the MS Lofoten! ;)

You can't actually be right on the edge of the cliff, there are fences everywhere. But the coast is not straight so from the North Cape you can see (if the weather is clear, which is not always) the cliffs of the coast on either side. But you can't really peer down, except on the point I took my picture of the globe, but even there you can't get close to the edge and there are fences. You should be fine (I'm a bit afraid of heights myself).

Wear really warm clothes, it is cold and it can get quite windy.

PS : I'm in Oslo right now and tomorrow evening I board the MS Lofoten! ;)

I had wondered about fences but couldn't see any. It helps to know they're there.

Enjoy your voyage on the Lofoten.

Beth

• 2 weeks later...
I had wondered about fences but couldn't see any. It helps to know they're there.

Enjoy your voyage on the Lofoten.

Beth

Hi Beth

We took the N. Cape excursion and enjoyed it but it was cold and windy--and that was May!!. MY hat blew off. Liz stayed inside most of the time. Someone asked our guide if the weather was always the same. She paused then said it was windier and there was snow in the winter.

Tom:)

The hotel is actually a snow hotel not an ice hotel, beds are made of ice but wall decorations are snow sculptures, it was certainly worth a visit. We watched the dog sledging and it looked fun. It was on a circuit on a frozen lake. Some people said it was a bit bumpy and hard on your back. It was minus 18 degrees C when we were there 2 weeks ago. The sun shone and it was beautiful. A highlight of our trip.

The hotel is actually a snow hotel not an ice hotel, beds are made of ice but wall decorations are snow sculptures, it was certainly worth a visit. We watched the dog sledging and it looked fun. It was on a circuit on a frozen lake. Some people said it was a bit bumpy and hard on your back. It was minus 18 degrees C when we were there 2 weeks ago. The sun shone and it was beautiful. A highlight of our trip.

Brrrrr. That's cold.

Thanks for the information about the "ice" hotel and dog sledging in that area. I finally decided to do dog sledding during our stop at Tromso on the north bound journey having read more about the sledging at Kirkenes. My Vantage Travel package includes an excursion to the hotel.

I've also booked the North Cape excursion and the midnight concert in the Arctic Cathedral in Tomso on the way south.

I fly to Bergen two weeks from today!

Beth

We went to the midnight concert, it was lovely, another highlight! Have a fabulous time on your trip. If you are hoping to take photos of the lights then take a light weight tripod. The exposures are too long to hold the camera steady. We were there for 5 nights, 2 in Tromso and 3 on the Nordkapp, and saw the lights on 4 of them.

We went to the midnight concert, it was lovely, another highlight! Have a fabulous time on your trip. If you are hoping to take photos of the lights then take a light weight tripod. The exposures are too long to hold the camera steady. We were there for 5 nights, 2 in Tromso and 3 on the Nordkapp, and saw the lights on 4 of them.

I finished your blog about your voyage. I loved all the detailed information and the photos.

I don't have a tripod but may see if I can get one.

Beth

• 2 weeks later...

Archived