Nordkapp questions

Rosebery

Hi, I have just booked for December for the round trip on Nordkapp - We are taking the with flights option from Bristol and this is the only choice of ship and dates, but the airport and dates are good for us as we live in Cornwall. My question is this: I have booked cabin 356 and am wondering if I have done the right thing. It is a cabin with portholes in a whole run of outside cabins with windows, and I am just beginning to wonder why, and whether I should spend a bit more and have a window. Anyway, does anyone know about this cabin or have any comment on deck 3 of Nordkapp, or any tips about Nordkapp in general?

Sue

I sailed on the Kong Harald on Deck 3 in an "N" level cabin with a larger window. I think you will be fine with your portholes. You won't be spending a lot of time in your cabin. I am sure you will prefer the Panorama lounge. On a December sailing, the ship probably won't be as crowded as it was in May and you should have no problem finding seating in the lounge.

Enjoy your voyage.

The northern half of the voyage will be 24-hour darkness anyway, so you won't be looking out all that much. For Northern Lights, you need to be outside where you can see the whole sky.

It's not totally dark above the Arctic Circle, even in December. Think dawn, sunrise before the sun reaches the horizon, sunset, and dusk. We were on the New Years sailing, so almost at the darkest time of the year, and at the northern most part of the trip, we had at least five hours of light. The sky lightened up about 8:00 AM and it was dark by maybe 2:00 PM for a few days. The variations in skylight helped make the trip magical.

Even in December we spent most of our time watching the scenery. I can't imagine what it is like in the summer - I'd never get any sleep. If you go when there's a full moon, you see moonlight glistening off the snow. Magnificent.

• 6 months later...

Hi Pauladora

No we haven't booked any excursions yet, I keep trying to get my husband to think about it so we can choose, but we have a lot going on at the moment.

Have you made any decisions?

And thank you to everyone who has commented on the cabin choice, I am sure it will be fine! We went to the Baltic this summer and experienced the twilight at midnight, so we are looking forward to comparing the artic daylight with that.

Sue

yes we have booked 3 excursions. artic cathedral midnight concert. Viking feast and the husky trip on 7th. we are no spring chickens more like scraggy hens but love the dogs. Saw them when we were in Alaska. We saw the midnight sun this year at the North Cape have changed our cabin to 501.keep in touch Dorothy

Gosh 501 looks swish!

I have pinned him down this afternoon and we have decided to do the Viking Feast, the Wilderness Adventure Camp, (I'm doing sledging Charlie's doing snowmobiling) the North Cape, and we are debating over a Taste of Vesteralen, which we also quite fancy.

We have some cold weather clothing and plan to do a bit of walking around other towns as far as possible, probably hoping to see the Cathedral in Trondheim and the Museum of Reconstruction in Hammerfest.

Not quite sure how to characterise us in terms of poultry but we are certainly not spring chickens either, just counting down to retiring in the next couple of years hopefully!

I don't think there is a roll call, I might start one and see if anyone else makes contact.

Sue

That sounds quite mean, especially when I saw a 96 year old on the tv the other night who was planning a parachute jump!

Not sure how anyone's age could make flying in a helicopter more dangerous? Oh dear, I hope you find plenty that you are allowed to do, it seems like it will be an exciting trip.

Sue

• 2 months later...

we are lucky cheaper for us to get a taxi than pay parking. expect to arrive at Bristol at 12.15 /12. then will have a bit to eat. Look out for 2 old people plus zimmers and carers. I have a wicked sense of humour. Don't,t over do it regards Dorothy and paul

Just finished Christmas shopping, might get the suitcases out tomorrow but I also have to go into work and do some paperwork first thing. It's all go. We will probably be at the airport early on Friday as we will leave early in case of hiccups on the motorway. Shall we arrange to meet and say hello somewhere?

Sue

yes that could be fun. been on Bristol airport web and Bar zero9 looks good. Great local beer . will go there as soon as we have checked in. around 1pm.My mobile number is 07769748100.

might meet up checking in. I will be wearing a light blue coat our email is dofoney@aol.com .could then send a photo.

kind regards dorothy