Is it ever too late to buy travel insurance?

goldgirl2

I've never thought about or considered a hospital upgrade Teddie. Our health insurance covers us internationally. I could be wrong, but I think once we were back in the US we would be under our regular insurance plan. If I was in some other state, I wouldn't know which hospital was better than any other one. But I am not in a health care field. :)

It is true that different health plans may cover your care overseas (Medicare does not). Even if your insurance covers you overseas, you may have to pay in advance and then wait for reimbursement! Most private insurances, though, do not routinely cover air evacuation, and this can really be costly. For my job in a large rehabilitation hospital in NJ, I have seen families shell out upwards of $30K to get airlifted back home because they neglected to take out travel insurance.

I like the enhanced medical evacuation plan as I don't want to be stuck in a strange hospital far from home for any longer than I need to be--I'd prefer to be in my home state, with my own doctors, and my family close by. It only costs a little extra.

Be safe!

Teddie

It is true that different health plans may cover your care overseas (Medicare does not). Even if your insurance covers you overseas, you may have to pay in advance and then wait for reimbursement! Most private insurances, though, do not routinely cover air evacuation, and this can really be costly. For my job in a large rehabilitation hospital in NJ, I have seen families shell out upwards of $30K to get airlifted back home because they neglected to take out travel insurance.

I like the enhanced medical evacuation plan as I don't want to be stuck in a strange hospital far from home for any longer than I need to be--I'd prefer to be in my home state, with my own doctors, and my family close by. It only costs a little extra.

Be safe!

Teddie

We always get travel insurance for that very reason.....medical evacuation and trip cancellation. I'm talking about the hospital thing. Sorry for the confusion. :)

Someone please tell me if I'm wrong ... We purchased Delta coverage once (or American) and the trip delay was not covered or hotel or meal, etc. as it was weather related. I will assume that it is a different coverage that you are looking at. Jan

I appreciate everyone trying to help me sort this out. I do have a 10 day period to cancel for a full refund. It says my coverage is do the entire time period of my trip. It says it covers trip cancelation. However, I have not received the specific policy yet. My main concern that I would line to have covered are trip cancelation due to an emergency and medical evacuation. I'm not sure what my medical insurance covers out of the country so I will be calling them tomorrow. We have very good coverage. Maybe we can all figure this out together and if its a good thing we can all get really cheap trip insurance!

We always get travel insurance for that very reason.....medical evacuation and trip cancellation. I'm talking about the hospital thing. Sorry for the confusion. :)

The hospital thing I'm referring to simply means that you have a say in what hospital you are returned to stateside. Otherwise, the travel insurance is only obligated to transport you to the closest US hospital that can provide the care you need.

Hope this helps.

Teddie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The hospital thing I'm referring to simply means that you have a say in what hospital you are returned to stateside. Otherwise, the travel insurance is only obligated to transport you to the closest US hospital that can provide the care you need.

Hope this helps.

Teddie.

I truly hope I am never that ill or injured while on vacation. :D Thanks. ;)

A friend of ours was in the jungle in the Amazon. She was standing on a pier and some guy brought a jaguar out on a chain. She was startled, and fell off the pier and broke her leg in 3 places. I guess they eventually got back to California. I never thought to ask them where they were in the meantime. :-)

Hope this helps.

Teddie.

It does say it will cover expenses to get you to a hospital of your choice close to home.

I appreciate everyone trying to help me sort this out. I do have a 10 day period to cancel for a full refund. It says my coverage is do the entire time period of my trip. It says it covers trip cancelation. However, I have not received the specific policy yet. My main concern that I would line to have covered are trip cancelation due to an emergency and medical evacuation. I'm not sure what my medical insurance covers out of the country so I will be calling them tomorrow. We have very good coverage. Maybe we can all figure this out together and if its a good thing we can all get really cheap trip insurance!

You can buy whatever you wish. Most times you won't have to use it. Insurance is just peace of mind. We've never used ours. I like to have it, but we've never used it. Your policy might be fine, and next time you can look at other options if you choose to. I haven't seen your policy, and I haven't researched it. :D:):D

Guest maddycat
Thanks for the tip about the website. I checked it out and the prices are good; but it doesn't offer a medical upgrade for your hospital of choice. This means that they are only responsible to transport you to the closest appropriate hospital for treatment. They will ultimately pay for your transportation home.

So let's say I live in NJ and am cruising the Caribbean, and I get sick or injured. They will most likely fly me to a facility in Florida for treatment until medically stable enough to fly home. I myself want the option to be flown to my hospital of choice in my hometown area, or to a specialty hospital somewhere else--Goldgirl's policy covers this option, and for a great price!!!

I just worked up a quote for my next trip using her carrier and it was ten times more. My cruise is an 11-nighter; perhaps OP's is a short trip, or she received some special offer via Delta??

Teddie

I would assume that they will take you to a hospital in the Caribbean not Florida. Once you are stable they would fly you back to the US.

Archived