Feelings on booking another Carnival cruise.

saturnsc

Are you beginning to feel hesitant to book another Carnival Cruise?  

915 members have voted

1. 1. Are you beginning to feel hesitant to book another Carnival Cruise?

• Yes
    • No

Actually this is just another sign how cruising in general has went downhill , we have 3 booked this year and am looking foward o all of them . But after that we are thinking of spending our vacation dollars elsewhere , maybe AI , maybe just beach vacations maybe we will end up back on a ship we have 15 plus cruise under our belts. But if cruiselines continue to cut back to keep cost down and that includes matinence , we may rethink cruising as a choice.

No-- If I feared everything that broke down, stopped working or messed up, I would never leave my house.

I'm a teacher, I go to work every day even with all the school shootings.

I drive my car, every day, even though cars are in accidents because of human error every day.

I fly, even though their have been plane crashes, usually caused by human error.

This could have happened on any cruise ship, any cruise line, so no, I will not stop cruising Carnival.

I will continue to sail with Carnival and will not let that deter me. Its not about being a so called "cheerleader" but realizing that things happen and that you are more likely to die in a car accident or a plane crash and even a train accident than on a cruise ship. This nonsense that bad things only happen on Carnival is crazy.

Allure of the seas RCL's newest ship had an engine fire in March of 2012

The Azmara Quest had an engine fire aboard not one month later in April of 2012 and was adrift at sea for days and had to be towed to Malaysia.

Using the irrational logic of some, that means Royal Caribbean doesn't maintain their ships well and that they should step up their maintenance program. I'm sure they maintain their ships well and so does Carnival, these incidents definitely didn't stop you from cruising RCL. THINGS HAPPEN!

I think Carnival has gone downhill really quickly since Dickinson left; their corporate attitude stinks. In this case, I don't think they could have done less for the passengers.

Two Questions:

1) How do you know what their corporate attitudes are? I assume you work for them?

2) What more could they have possibly done for the passengers onboard?

They have refunded them, reimbursed them for ALL travel expenses, and given them a free cruise?

People just need to CALM down!!!! This could happen on RCCL, HAL, HCL, etc. I just booked the Carnival Breeze tonight for April. Yup. A TAD bit apprehensive, but not going to give into it. I know we're going to have a great cruise. I hope all onboard the Triumph have a safe return. It is what it is. Build a bridge and GET OVER IT. SHIP HAPPENS!!!!!!:D:D

No-- If I feared everything that broke down, stopped working or messed up, I would never leave my house.

I'm a teacher, I go to work every day even with all the school shootings.

I drive my car, every day, even though cars are in accidents because of human error every day.

I fly, even though their have been plane crashes, usually caused by human error.

This could have happened on any cruise ship, any cruise line, so no, I will not stop cruising Carnival.

well said... we must keep living.. :)

well said... we must keep living.. :)

I don't think too many people are saying not to cruise or fly or drive etc. I think some people including myself are saying they won't cruise carnival again or not for a long time. I have a celebrity cruise coming up and I'm not worried at all. Have been on several Rci cruises and wouldn't hesitate but come on everyone are you forgetting the Destiny limping around the Bahamas for the last few weeks with more propulsion problems and canceling ports and changing itineraries? plus my friend was on the victory a couple weeks ago and it had propulsion problems too and left San Juan almost a day late!

No, they are having some serious issues here and it's beginning to be a trend. You can't compare 1 incident on another cruise line to this. Please!! I'm sure the Dream class ships are a different story as well as Some of the Conquest class ships but these older ones are either being neglected or just falling apart!. Carnival is starting to look like one of those low budget cheap airlines and as long as all of you continue to support them heavily they won't change a thing!

Who would even want to think about that when booking a cruise? Oh, wait, I know, Carnival cruisers!!!

I don't understand why you are even on this Thread. Looking at your signature I see you are scheduled on Several Princess cruises. I wonder if you have sailed Carnival before. If not what do you care? I sure don't care if you do or not.

This incident is going to change how I view cruising on any line, not just CCL. I'm going to pay closer attention to reports of ship mechanical problems before booking. If a ship has reports of persistent mechanical problems like the Triumph did, I'd rather book another ship. No, I don't definitely know that the propulsion issues the Triumph experienced since December are related to the fire and/or loss of power. But I figure, why book a problem ship when there are other choices out there? Sorry if that offends some, but it's my money and my choice. Again, that's not just my view on CCL but of the cruise industry in general.

Btw, I didn't vote b/c I haven't cruised CCL.

I am a week or so back from my last cruise, the Freedom of the Seas. There were 3 ships in Port Canaveral, a Disney ship, The FOS and the Sensation of the Seas. We sailed the Sensation in 1998 on a 7 day eastern Caribbean cruise. It was our second cruise a full two years after our first cruise on the Majesty of the Seas. The two ships were at that time remarkably alike. The Majesty cruise was a horrible week of weather in the Caribbean, the hottest it got was 70 in Grand Cayman. I dove in Cozumel when a storm hit the island. I puked at 44 feet below the surface. Second cruise Sensation. I work for an electrical plumbing distributor. Things that I noticed that bugged me but didn't make me say run away. On the Majesty of the Seas everything seemed to be either pristine or getting a good naval coat of paint. The Sensation, had this big circular light fixtures in the dining room (back in those days you only really noticed the dining room and the theatre). The light fixtures had incandescent light bulbs maybe 30 in a five to six foot circle. On average about 1 in six of the incandescent bulbs were burnt out. Those bulbs cost an electrical distributor at the time about 20 cents. These bulbs were notorious for short life, but they were cheap, and easy to replace the fact that they hadn't replaced the dead ones was a sign of something that I can't imagine on Princess or Hal, or RCI or X. In other words there is something in my opinion about CCL and their ships and their target market that allows them to ignore things like burnt out light bulbs. What else did they ignore. I had a fun cruise. Even though I got left on a dock in St Maarten for a scuba excursion where the provider didn't show up because they had engine problems on the dive boat. We had a blast later that day at a Bar called Rum Boogie that is not in business anymore. We visited St Maarten about 2 weeks ago, and I hadn't been since 2002, and in many ways Phillipsburg was unrecognizable.

My wife and my dive buddies wife's hated Carnival. I enjoyed the fun atmosphere and despite the tackiness of the comedians the shows, the food, that required me to order to entrees in order to get one good meal I had a good time. My wife informed me after we got home that she didn't want to ever cruise Carnival again. I own Carnival stock, actually my wife does. I wish them success. I have sailed HAL and Princess and had excellent trips. I do not hate Carnivores, although I enjoy kidding with them, but that said. Carnival is very low on the food chain of cruise lines (not the bottom). I can't imagine booking a CCL cruise, but that said I think that they provide a good product for what they are.

I imagine that several of the folks that have previously posted on this thread are going to be disappointed when their April, March, May sailing is cancelled. I will be surprised if this ship sails again before schools let out.

jc

Right now over 34% of responders would hesitate to book with Carnival.

Considering this is the Carnival board, that is an extremely high number and could go much higher when the ship finally makes it to Mobile and we start to hear the horror stories!

Or (playing Devil's Advocate) other's that are anti-Carnival are coming here with a specific goal of putting in their 2 cents in light of this. I NEVER, ever post here, but with this incident (and being booked on Triumph in 7 weeks) I came to take a peek. I am sure there are several trolls, and/or Carnival haters that also figured there would be a thread such as this. (And, as someone who is a rather avid cruiser, but also has a real life, I can't understand why so much hate toward a cruise company- or the people that choose to travel it. It is not exactly a controversial issue in my mind. But what ever floats your boat--- sorry for the bad pun.)

I wont hesitate to book Carnival again, just had a great cruise on the Legend, just like I wouldn't hesitate to book Costa again, or Princess for that matter. It wasn't so long ago the Star Princess had a major fire. I don't think for a second Carnival rolled the dice on sending the Triumph out to sea. They had to believe she was sea worthy and able to complete her scheduled itinerary.

was the accident caused my faulty maintenance to the car?

In some cases, yes, but not in all cases.

For example (this happened a while back) a truck on one side of the freeway lost its left front wheel and came through the center divider (which is made up of oleander bushes) and was hit by two cars going the other way. The drivers of both cars were killed.

Another example (again, this happened a while back). A Hertz rental car lost all electrical power on the freeway at night and was rear ended by a car in the far right lane. This second car still had electrical power. Thus the third car could see the second car was stopped on the freeway and changed lanes without out looking. The third car changes lanes into a small pick up truck. The impact caused the pick up truck to head to the left and hit the center divider where is when then hit by a fifth vehicle. Meanwhile the third car, forced back to the right rear ended the second car. The passenger in the small pick up was paralyzed as a result of the injuries he received in the accident which was caused by the Hertz vehicle losing all electrical power.

Negative.

This is like airlines - incidents can happen anywhere.

Me, personally, I would have no problems being a cruise like this. I would make the best of it and turn right around and book another cruise.

If you're hestitant to book another cruise with Carnival, then you should just never cruise again.

I don't let things like this bother me. Life happens. You can have fires in land-based hotels, some of which can be catastrophic.

Because it's happened to Carnival a couple of times, as someone else has said, Carnival is in a better position now to know how to respond in these sorts of instances. Carnival also has a reputation for refunding passengers' money and in trying to make things right when bad things happen (I'm thinking of Carnival's response to Hurricane Sandy vs other lines' responses).

Yes, I am thinking of taking my first RCI cruise in the fall of 2014, but between now and then, I'll be on Carnival Sunshine this fall, and we will probably book another Carnival cruise for next February.

I'm always amazed by the number of people who will "never cruise Carnival again" and have only negative things to say about Carnival -- but also have nothing better to do than sit around and read a Carnival forum berating others. Get a life, people! :rolleyes:

Did anyone read the review where this ship basically limped back to port on the cruise before this one and they must have just duct taped her together and sent her back out. That is my only concern, I agree stuff happens these ships run 24/7 but if they knew she was not sea worthy and sent her out anyway that is serious problem. I would rather have my cruise cancelled because of a potential problem then a cruise company send me out in a ship that needs repair just to make money. Would I be unhappy if my was cruise was canceled last minute heck yes , but a lot unhappier floating around without power for days .. Just sayin

Archived