EOS Sunday! Yay....question about ports.

kmac1196

So this is our second cruise and we will be traveling with kids (16,11,13). Ports are Port Canaveral, Nassau, Coco Cay. We've been to Nassau before and was bored, actually. Went to Atlantis and the beach there....not going back. I would love advice on what to do at the ports for people who don't shop and can't do a lot of hiking. Coco Cay we're planning on snorkeling so I think we'll be ok there. Is Nassau worth getting off the ship if we don't do beaches or shopping? Thanks in advance!

Kristen

Having been to Nassau several times (both cruise and land vacation) I would just take advantage of having less peolpe on the ship. Less crowded at pools. Have a relaxing day enjoying the ship and all it offers.

Of course, this is just my opinion, but worth thinking about. :cool:

Having been to Nassau several times (both cruise and land vacation) I would just take advantage of having less peolpe on the ship. Less crowded at pools. Have a relaxing day enjoying the ship and all it offers.

Of course, this is just my opinion, but worth thinking about. :cool:

That's what I was thinking but DH thinks because we are there we shouldn't waste an opportunity....LOL....an opportunity for what?? He doesn't know!

Just had a thought. If you really are set on getting off the ship you could check out Cable Beach. I believe the Sheraton and the Wyndam both have day packages available. At least they used to. The beach there is nice and you can snorkle if you want. They also have pools for your use. There is an outdoor bar and food area at the Sheraton and I think the Wyndam has an indoor restaurant. You can ask this on the Ports of Call board. I found it easy to get there and a really nice beach. The Sheraton-Cable Beach used to list this as an option on their website; not sure if they still do. You can take the bus- lets you off right in front of the hotel but I can't remember the bus number. Have fun!

Just had a thought. If you really are set on getting off the ship you could check out Cable Beach. I believe the Sheraton and the Wyndam both have day packages available. At least they used to. The beach there is nice and you can snorkle if you want. They also have pools for your use. There is an outdoor bar and food area at the Sheraton and I think the Wyndam has an indoor restaurant. You can ask this on the Ports of Call board. I found it easy to get there and a really nice beach. The Sheraton-Cable Beach used to list this as an option on their website; not sure if they still do. You can take the bus- lets you off right in front of the hotel but I can't remember the bus number. Have fun!

I was going to suggest the same thing! We actually did a land vacation, and stayed at the Sheridan (which was a Radisson at the time) and the pools and beach there are lovely. You can use the facilities at both hotels, and the Wyndam pool has a nice slide. We used the bus system, and it was safe and very inexpensive.

I believe the Sheridan daypass is less expensive than the Wyndam because it doesnt include food.

There is a hotel closer to the port, that you can walk to, British Colonial (Hilton?) which also offers day passes. I've never been there, but it gets good reviews. It doesn't seem as "child-friendly" as Cable Beach though.

Go to the ports of call board for Nassau for complete information, if any of these options appeal to you.

check out "resortsforaday.com" they list all resorts that offer day passes. Sheraton Cable Beach is on of them. Looks like $60 pp or 40 pp ages 4-12. A little pricey, but it does include lunch and the use of the pools as well. I was also there when it was a Radisson Hotel with our kids and grandkids. It has since been changed to a Sheraton and from the pictures they did a great job. I think the bus is the number 10 bus.

I was going to suggest the same thing! We actually did a land vacation, and stayed at the Sheridan (which was a Radisson at the time) and the pools and beach there are lovely. You can use the facilities at both hotels, and the Wyndam pool has a nice slide. We used the bus system, and it was safe and very inexpensive.

I believe the Sheridan daypass is less expensive than the Wyndam because it doesnt include food.

There is a hotel closer to the port, that you can walk to, British Colonial (Hilton?) which also offers day passes. I've never been there, but it gets good reviews. It doesn't seem as "child-friendly" as Cable Beach though.

Go to the ports of call board for Nassau for complete information, if any of these options appeal to you.

I'd double check anything near the Wyndham because there's a huge new complex being built there (Baha Mar?), and the Wyndham was closed when we were there last September.

5 times at Nassau and we pretty much feel the same way. We actually enjoyed the Forts and Pirates excursion. The bus driver had lots of interesting info on the island.

It's been a while so I don't remember details. I remember going to the fort and ending at the Pirates museum and you can do that at your leisure then make your way back to the ship.

I would suggest checking out the Ports of Call section of this website which contains a wealth of helpful information. You would want to focus on the Bahamas and Private Islands forum. Port Canaveral information can be found on the Florida Departures forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Archived