Informal poll, did the carnival incident make you change your mind about cruising

JAYRAY1259

I hope the Today Show poll is correct, that should mean lower prices for me!

And you don't find it strange that the tip policy just changed!!:eek:

If they have to lower prices, they will make it up in other ways!!

BTW- OP-no!! still cruising!!:D

It certainly won't stop me cruising.

Our first ever cruise was on Carnival and we also sailed on Costa Concordia before she sunk and even though RCL is our first choice these days I'd still happily sail either of those two lines again.

Incidents happen everywhere, if we spent all our lives worrying about it, we'd never do anything.

Julie

I'm curious as to whether or not this most recent Carnival fiasco has made you change your mind about cruising. I just watched the hatchet job that the news did on the cruise industry on Friday night. For one thing just about everything they brought out was just a rehash, except for the incident this week. I do know this, I would not cruise on Carnival. The Costa Concordia belongs to them and they have treated the survivors and the families of the 30 some people who perished on that night pretty bad. That should never have happened, the captain was an idiot and most of the crew were ill prepared to handle that situation. Carnival had another engine failure on another ship last year, which caused it to drift without any power for several days.

They also talked about people going overboard and lost at sea. They say that on average 23 people a year go overboard. I don't think that's accurate, but I do know that it's pretty damn hard to fall off of a ship. They interviewed one gentleman who said he woke up in the ocean and somehow managed to stay afloat for over 4 hours. He got rescued by a passing freighter. He did admit to getting plastered while partying all night.....HELLLLLOOOOO.

My feeling is this, Carnival does not maintain their ships properly or this would not happen. They took that ship out with known prior engine problems, just for the God almighty dollar. They jeopardized those peoples lives and at the very least ruined their vacations. Any man made machine can encounter a mechanical problem. If that happens and your on a ship that was well maintained and through no fault of the crew develops a problem, then so be it. You can buy a brand new car and have a mechanical problem. Carnival did not hold up their end of the bargain with their passengers.

As for the people that somehow find themselves in the ocean and the ship sailing away without them, well take responsibility for you own actions. I like to enjoy cocktails just like anyone else. For many people including myself and my wife it's a fun time and you don't have to worry about driving home. I do not allow myself nor does my wife to drink ourselves into oblivion.

I for one love the cruise experience as does my lovely wife Libby. I will not allow this to deter me in any way. I took my first cruise on Carnival back in 1992. We had a great time, but after that we have stayed with RCCL. I like the mix of young and older folks, they are very kid friendly and their officers and crew seem to handle themselves very professionally.

I'm sure there will be lots of pros and cons out there because of this latest incident, so lets hear what you have to say. Smooth sailing to all, Joe & Libby, Philadelphia, Pa

Not in the least! I plan on going on many more cruises! But it did justify my DISLIKE for Carnival Cruise Lines! :D

We will still cruise....most definitely. I took my 1st cruise in 2007 with Disney and LOVED it. I have since cruised 6 times (26 cruising days...we do short cruises) with Carnival and have a 7th cruise (4 day) booked for August. We, more I and not DH, had intentions of getting to Platinum and with my 7th cruise booked I was getting close to that 10th cruise. But, CCL changed their loyalty program and now go by days cruised and since we take shorter cruises we were hurt by this and set back a bit. That plus the fact that with every cruise we take we notice more and more cutbacks (less staff has really been an issue with iffy/slow service in the MDR and dirty tables not being cleared in the buffet and only 2 workers dinging cards when you get back on the ship in port which cause a big back up that takes 20-30 minutes to get back on the ship...etc) has made us reconsider the plan to get to Platinum with CCL. We have begun to think about trying out other lines and RCCL is top of our list. This recent situation on the Triumph...we know these things can happen and like others have said, while it was a major inconvenience and an uncomfortable 4 days, nobody died. So, this hasn't really made us want to switch cruise lines, but it doesn't make us want to stay either.

My first response would have been that it has not changed my thoughts on cruising.

However, last night we both expressed reservation about our upcoming transatlantic. Being stuck in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico is one thing but being stuck in the middle of the Atlantic is another.

I doubt that we will cancel the transatlantic because if we cave into fear for that one we will end up doing the same for our transpacific.

Did not change my mind. I will boarding a ship in less than two weeks. With that said, I will not board another Carnival ship. Had nothing to do with the Triumph. Been there and done that and in my mind, they are at the bottom of the ladder in cruise lines. Far better options out there for an overall better cruise experience. For the ones that still like them, knock yourself out. ;)

My mom got up out of bed the other night and fell, breaking her leg. Does that mean I should stay in bed? No guarantees in life for anything, living means there is risk.

I will only stop cruising if I run out of money or my health is too poor to cruise. If husband runs out of money or his health is too poor, I will still cruise. (see you later, sweetie!:D:D)

Sherri:)

I believe 20/20's parent company is Disney and owns a cruise line called Disney Cruises. I felt the report was very discombobulated. What was the point they were trying to make? Part of the allure of cruising is the adrenalin rush of staring out over the vast expanse and wondering what it must have been like for the Titanic passengers. Scary! Point is that as safe as cruising is today, the potential for disaster always looms. This can never be eliminated completely. If a person sat for 7 days anchored and never went to sea, what excitement and risk would that be? It is the going to sea that for me makes cruising an adrenalin kick. Sure I will keep cruising. I will even go on Carnival if the occasion warrants.

My son's girlfriend was on the Triumph. It was her first cruise. Truly unfortunate for her. She emphatically says she will never set foot on a cruise boat. The self policing the industry must do is very evident. The industry just lost a young couple, who over the next 50 years might have taken 20 or more cruises if their experience had been good.

It will be this sobering fact that will drive the industry to maintain ever higher safety standards and customer satisfaction. It is their lifeblood!

Glad to be on this board and Happy Cruising to everyone!

Nope- won't stop cruising, but I have plenty of great cruise memories to outweigh the fears of what "could" happen, especially realizing how unlikely they are. But I'd say that my anxiety has increased somewhat, since there are a lot of vivid images of those "coulds".

As for cruise lines- as you can see from my sig, I'm still looking for a favorite line. So far, we loved Disney (but my kids are old enough that we can only go during vacations, where the price isn't worth it), found NCL ok but annoying, thought Princess was good and are very excited to give Royal a shot. But Carnival was never on my list to try, since I didn't think it would be a good fit with our style.

I'd like to withhold judgement until the investigation is complete to determine whether it was bad luck or negligence- but the situation certainly doesn't do anything to make me rethink my decision to stay away from Carnival.

Archived