Informal poll, did the carnival incident make you change your mind about cruising

JAYRAY1259

Coming to these Boards for a poll on this topic, is like polling the Florida Tourism Board to impartially name their favorite vacation destination.

Bingo!

And for what it's worth, I would happily cruise again on Carnival or RCI or any other major cruise line.

I believe 20/20's parent company is Disney and owns a cruise line called Disney Cruises. I felt the report was very discombobulated. What was the point they were trying to make? Part of the allure of cruising is the adrenalin rush of staring out over the vast expanse and wondering what it must have been like for the Titanic passengers. Scary! Point is that as safe as cruising is today, the potential for disaster always looms. This can never be eliminated completely. If a person sat for 7 days anchored and never went to sea, what excitement and risk would that be? It is the going to sea that for me makes cruising an adrenalin kick. Sure I will keep cruising. I will even go on Carnival if the occasion warrants.

My son's girlfriend was on the Triumph. It was her first cruise. Truly unfortunate for her. She emphatically says she will never set foot on a cruise boat. The self policing the industry must do is very evident. The industry just lost a young couple, who over the next 50 years might have taken 20 or more cruises if their experience had been good.

It will be this sobering fact that will drive the industry to maintain ever higher safety standards and customer satisfaction. It is their lifeblood!

Glad to be on this board and Happy Cruising to everyone!

What a terrible experience for a first (and last) cruise! I'm sure she has stories to tell!

Sherri:)

I think many of the posters on this board might not have sailed CCL before but this might seal that as a certainty. However I think we all hope that this is a Carnival issue and not an industry wide issue that has only caught up to carnival. It won't stop me fom cruising but I do hope the other lines including Royal look at their procedures to make sure if this type of catastrophe happens to them it won't be as awful for the passengers and crew as this was. Before the dreaded govt gets involved. :eek:

It certainly won't stop me cruising.

Our first ever cruise was on Carnival and we also sailed on Costa Concordia before she sunk and even though RCL is our first choice these days I'd still happily sail either of those two lines again.

Incidents happen everywhere, if we spent all our lives worrying about it, we'd never do anything.

Julie

I agree 100%. I was out of power for 10 days with hurricane sandy. It was so cold that i stayed in my church for 2 nights with my husband and two daughters, heated up can food with stereos, sat in the car in the driveway during the day to warm up & people watch for entertainment. Not at all making light of what those people on the triumph went through but things happen that are unplanned. I do hope that when all is said and done that if this could have been avoided that there are consequences for those who were responsible.

I suspect it would be the same 70% that probably haven't cruised or were not going to cruise anyway;)!

Good ! valid points ..... exactly what I heard yesterday - from someone who came over on the "Mayflower"'s lowest deck ....... in 1951 .... ;

distinguish - who is saying it and why ......

This incident certainly hasn't changed my mind about cruising. My tween-son and I LOVE to cruise. However, it did make me think twice about booking another Carnival cruise. I was considering booking a Carnival cruise for next year, but with this company's continued issues with poor maintenance of their ships and such, it gives me an uneasy feeling about being on a Carnival cruise again. Which doesn't make for a very 'fun' vacation if I'm going to be worried the whole time.

I'm glad we're cruising Allure in 2 months (yay!! :D) and have since booked another Royal cruise for next year. Granted, no cruise company is perfect, but Carnival has had too many bad instances recently, and all within the past few years. Time will tell, but for now - Royal we're here to stay!

Prior to this incident on the Triump I used to make fun of my DH for packing flashlights, extra baterries, his screw driver (mini set of tools, looks like manicure set (yup) he gets it onboard in my packed away luggage in makeup bag).

We lay out our emergency clothes on the table before we go to sleep, charge cell phones.

I guess even though this was a controlled disaster, I would not want to be prepared for a "Titanic" event.

Safe travels.

Sea Ya

I watched the movie, "Flight" with Denzel Washington tonight and thought the same thing!

Please don't judge flying by that movie. I am a private pilot and my father is a commercial pilot. Ask pilots and you will hear the same thing. That movie is nothing but fiction to sell tickets. It couldn't be more inaccurate of real world flight conditions and handling of customer safety. If you follow the news it's not uncommon to hear of pilots being arrested while boarding planes intoxicated. That's because flight crew, cabin crew, and deck crew along with observant passengers keeping an eye out pilots don't fly planes intoxicated.

It hasn't affected my love of cruising in the least.:)

Carnival isn't my first choice when it's just me & DH because there are other products that we like better. Some of the things that are important to us aren't available on CCL (like suite perks and a variety of daytime activities), and since Carnival is phasing out breakfast and lunch in the MDR in favor of a comedy brunch and we're not buffet people, that kind of leaves us without food options!:rolleyes:

However, I can see occasions where we might end up on on a Carnival ship again, and since we loved our HAL cruise and a TA on Cunard is on my bucket list, I'm anxious for the findings of the investigation. Specifically, was this a pure accident or did the actions/inaction of CCL contribute to what happened? Is it a cruise line problem, or a corporate (Carnival PLC) problem? In my mind, there is a difference, and the latter has far greater ramifications than the former.

I don't have any big concerns about the way the incident was handled after the fire. It sounds like the staff and crew on the ship did everything they could to keep the passengers safe and make them as comfortable as the circumstances allowed. That said, in my mind, one disabled ship is an accident. The second starts to become a pattern. The two disabled ships combined with the constant complaints on the HAL boards about ship maintenance and of course the sinking of the Concordia leave me with a lot of questions.

If the itinerary and price were right, I'd probably give any cruise line a chance, but after the last few incidents with Carnival, I doubt I will ever try out their cruises.

I know Princess is a Carnival brand, but I will probably try Princess. I want to do Alaska again by cruise and I want a different itinerary and Princess seems to have the best ones.

What happened on the Triumph could have happened on any cruise line, including Royal Caribbean. When there is a fatal airplane crash I don't consider not flying. What happened on the Triumph has not affected my plans to cruise either.

It has not changed my mind about cruising, just will have 2nd, 3rd or 4th thoughts about booking Carnival.

I also learned something over this - as I posted on another thread - those folks over on that other board are so far over the top in their concern about their cruiseline of choice I would not be surprised to learn some of them are volunteering their time to go and help strip the Triumph of all the damaged materials. :eek:

If you post a serious question over there they are on you like flies on sugar! Don't even question compensation because you must want to see them go belly up! No need to question how they maintain their ships because you are now a Carnival Prosecutor! WOW!

RCL Cheerleaders - you have a lot to learn. ;)

Guest maddycat
YES....definitely affected our decision on cruising. We have never sail on carnival, and after this mishap we know now we will definitely NEVER sail on carnival. We are loyal to Royal !

We feel the same way. We've never sailed on Carnival and never will. We will stick with RCI and Celebrity.

Archived