If Carnival goes bye-bye what then?

MissMeggieMurphy

I do think some executive heads are going to roll, but carnival won't go bankrupt.

Question: Why will some executive heads roll?

Having watched much of the CNN coverage of the TRIUMPH incident, I am wondering why more people are not fact checking that coverage and the coverage of other media outlets. CNN and others would have us believe CARNIVAL ships encounter more issues than any other cruise line; with reasons ranging from shoddy maintenance; to country of registration; to crews made up of employees from other countries. Allegations made but for which I didn't hear much substantiation. I found it of particular interest that when CNN 'talking heads" were confronted with those guests on its' "news" shows that contradicted the story line CNN which to convey those "talking heads" stuttered and stammered trying to figure out how someone could possibly disagreed with their predetermined position.

Unless something extraordinary comes out of the investigation into the TRIUMPH incident that proves CARNIVAL executives have committed errors of omission or commission which caused this incident, it appears to me that CARNIVAL executives acted in a reasonable manner. Some will cite the SPLENDOR incident in 2010 and question why CARNIVAL hadn't developed plans and procedures for coping with another similar event in the future. According to information available on the Internet, CARNIVAL ships have had THREE engine fires, which left the vessels adrift, in its' entire history - THREE in 41 years! How would a cruise line, any cruise line, go about planning for such a rare occurrence?

What should come out of this incident is finding a way to ensure that sufficient electrical power can be maintained in the event the main electrical systems fail. Installation of independently positioned and operated generators seems like a logical answer and a relatively easy fix to the "creature comfort" issues presented by SPLENDOR AND TRIUMPH - working toilets, hot showers, and hot food.

Would this incident have been such a media circus if all that was involved was an extra 4 days at sea all-expenses paid plus a free future cruise and $500.00 in guest's pockets?

Prediction - heads will not roll!

There's a reason CNN is nicknamed the Communist News Network and/or Crappy News Network.

While the Triumph issue was certainly newsworthy, I would have thought that the fact the SCOTUS actually heard (on the 15th) and is considering the case against President Obama for falsifying personal documents (including his SSN actually belonging to a CT resident) to gain Presidency, would have been more on the front burner and make more news headlines.

But I guess the agenda and priorities are pretty obvious with CNN anyway. Big Corporations are evil! Right?

I digress. Back to your regularly scheduled troll-flogging. :D

February 15th was a conference day. No oral argument that day at all.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/2012TermCourtCalendar.pdf

if you mean January 15th here are the cases that were argued and none of them had anything to do with Obama/ although sometimes they will hear something else

http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_calendars/MonthlyArgumentCalJan2013.pdf

what is the case name you are talking about?

I hope they close carnival down all these years something happen with carnival ships putting people lífe in danger,my friend is a travél agent yesterday over 200 people cancel there cruise with carnival they are booking rccl cruises

Geeze some posts are really wearing the horse blinders lately! RCCL aint any safer or special! Their ships can & have broken down as well! They are also registered under "flags of convenience" like most major cruise ships! BTW "Lloyds register" insures virtually all cruise ships from all brands! Carnival & RCCL are like Chevy & Ford!

We have never sailed Carnival, but I sure don't want them to be gone. I also do not think they should be gone because of the Triumph incident. Costa is still around, and their incident was much more serious. I look at each cruise line separately from each company.

BP is around. Heck, congress is still around and look at what screw ups they have had.;)

Andrew

You may not have sailed on Carnival ships but you certainly support CARNIVAL CORP! As a stockholder, thank you!

February 15th was a conference day. No oral argument that day at all.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/2012TermCourtCalendar.pdf

if you mean January 15th here are the cases that were argued and none of them had anything to do with Obama/ although sometimes they will hear something else

http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_calendars/MonthlyArgumentCalJan2013.pdf

what is the case name you are talking about?

Feb 15th Of course. You really had to ask after you found the info yourself?

Feb 15th Of course. You really had to ask after you found the info yourself?

there was NO oral argument that day. A conference day is the day that the Scotus votes on cases. are you saying they granted cert on such a case and can you name it please

fwiw they hear oral arguments on oral argument days. They discuss cases, either to grant cert or decide the outcome on oral argument days. They don't release-necessarily- what they are doing on conference days...

I hope they close carnival down all these years something happen with carnival ships putting people lífe in danger,my friend is a travél agent yesterday over 200 people cancel there cruise with carnival they are booking rccl cruises

When have CARNIVAL guests truly had their lives in danger on a cruise? Sure, guests have been inconvenienced and experienced some discomfort - heck so was I when I couldn't go on the water slide on CARNIVAL Spirit in December 2011 due to high winds, rough seas, and closure of the upper decks.

To my knowledge, no guests aboard any CARNIVAL vessel have ever been lowered in lifeboats or life rafts due to an incident which truly would have put their lives in danger - discomfort and inconvenience simply don't count as life-threatening.

When have CARNIVAL guests truly had their lives in danger on a cruise? Sure, guests have been inconvenienced and experienced some discomfort - heck so was I when I couldn't go on the water slide on CARNIVAL Spirit in December 2010 due to high winds, rough seas, and closure of the upper decks.

To my knowledge, no guests aboard any CARNIVAL vessel have ever been lowered in lifeboats or life rafts due to an incident which truly would have put their lives in danger - discomfort and inconvenience simply don't count as life-threatening.

Youmll have tonexcuse Papichulo... She makes no sense, and nothing she says is based in any sort of reality, just her limited understanding of the world. But we all are entitled to our opinions... However small and uneducated they may be.

So many people obviously want Carnival Corporation to go bye-bye. So what happens then and will its demise make the cruising industry better? And remember we are talking about 10 cruise lines becoming history including Carnival, Hal, Princess, Costa, Cunard, Ibero, P&O Australia, Seabourn.

That basically leaves RCCL and RCCL owned lines the only game in town.

This is nonsense. Do you really see half of the cruise lines going away because 3k passengers were inconvenienced for a few days? Nobody died and Carnival Corp will not either.

I guess the same logic would apply if a plane went down......everyone would cancel their flights.:eek:

Let them cancel...............just makes more room for the rest of us that are not nervous nellies!:rolleyes:

The notion of Carnival going out of business over this incident just shows ignorance on the part of the original poster and anyone who considers the idea possible.

Carnival already crunched the numbers on this and says it will cost them 8-10 cents a share in the first half of this year. http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1784765&highlight=

Considering that they had earnings of $1.88 per share in 2012, you can see that not only are they not going to go out of business from this, but really... this was to Carnival what a speeding ticket is to me and you.

OK, so maybe you're thinking that if everyone gets scared away by this incident and no one books a Carnival cruise any more... it could put them out of business. Well, ask yourself if Carnival went out of business after the Splendor accident. Or the Concordia accident. Or during or after the great recession of 2009.

No... there is no chance of this company going out of business over this. Worst case scenario... if some people decide that three big incidents in two years is too many and Carnival sees a significant decline in bookings... Carnival will do what they did during the recession in 2009 and will lower fares enough to fill their ships. The earnings-per-share may drop a little bit... but that's not going to put this company out of business.

I agree. In a few months, the average American will not even remember the event involving the Triumph.(Kind of like the Splendor). The people on this forum are much closer to the cruise industry than the average person, and have a much different view of the impact of the event.

This is so true. If I wasn't booked on my first cruise in a very long time, this would barely be a blip on my radar now that the story is just about out of the news. I wouldn't have even followed it so closely if I wasn't booked on a cruise. Ironically, my cruise later this year is on the Splendor, and when we booked, I'd forgotten about the fire. Oh well. I'm not a fan of Carnival (it wasn't my choice to book the Splendor, but it was a gift, so I really had no say) but I'm confident Carnival isn't going anywhere.

there was NO oral argument that day. A conference day is the day that the Scotus votes on cases. are you saying they granted cert on such a case and can you name it please

fwiw they hear oral arguments on oral argument days. They discuss cases, either to grant cert or decide the outcome on oral argument days. They don't release-necessarily- what they are doing on conference days...

http://www.examiner.com/article/supreme-court-rules-on-obama-forgery-case-birthers-protest-decision

On the court's website, it identifies the status of Docket 12A606:

Title: Edward Noonan, et al., Applicants v. Deborah Bowen, California Secretary of State Application (12A606) for a stay, submitted to Justice Kennedy. Application (12A606) denied by Justice Kennedy. Application (12A606) refiled and submitted to The Chief Justice.

Noonan's supplemental brief claims that Obama is "[a] citizen of Indonesia, as listed in his school registration #203 from Franciscan Assisi school in Jakarta, Indonesia. As a citizen of Indonesia Obama was never eligible and never legitimate for the U.S. Presidency."

The Concordia was a TRUE TRAGEDY!!! LIVES lost because of "controlable issues"...the Triumph" not so much.....a TRUE risk to ANY ship at sail...regardless of the connection/brand/label/ownership.

Lets face it, there is risk in getting out of bed and trying to drive to work, store, church. Risk in sitting at your computer reading Cruise Critic or any other website because of the "seditary lifestyle".....

Give it up....you ain't going until your time is up, and when it is doesn't matter where you are or what it is, you is GONE!!!!

There is NO way Carnival will go under....probably EVER!

Mickey Arison has VERY deep pockets, and that's just what we "know" about.

Cruises may go up a bit per passenger......a lil bit times zillions adds up.

They will, I believe, announce a new safety-emergency preparedness program.

They will learn from this tremendous shortsightedness.

Carnival evolved though very rough things from the very beginning.........

Their very 1st maiden voyage with the Mardi Gras ran aground for goodness sake!

So many people obviously want Carnival Corporation to go bye-bye. So what happens then and will its demise make the cruising industry better? And remember we are talking about 10 cruise lines becoming history including Carnival, Hal, Princess, Costa, Cunard, Ibero, P&O Australia, Seabourn.

That basically leaves RCCL and RCCL owned lines the only game in town.

WOW! Talk about "overly dramatic".

This is so true. If I wasn't booked on my first cruise in a very long time, this would barely be a blip on my radar now that the story is just about out of the news. I wouldn't have even followed it so closely if I wasn't booked on a cruise. Ironically, my cruise later this year is on the Splendor, and when we booked, I'd forgotten about the fire. Oh well. I'm not a fan of Carnival (it wasn't my choice to book the Splendor, but it was a gift, so I really had no say) but I'm confident Carnival isn't going anywhere.

Off the subject of this thread, but keep an open mind regarding SPLENDOR. Having sailed twice on her, I assure you, barring rough weather, you will be pleasantly surprised - even though her decor does take some getting used to - hope you like pink, purple, and mauve!

Ok, I can't believe anyone would think this would put CCL out of Business... We have been on 7 CCL Cruises and never had a problem at any time. Not going on Carnival would be like not flying a certain airline because a plane had problems last week. How many planes do you hear have problems and how many thousands of people fly those same planes every day.... same difference with a cruise ship....How many from all the different companies are there and because one has a problem your going to expect the company to go out of business?? Not!!! I feel sure that if you did research you will find other lines that have had problems as well.

Archived