Oriana or Aurora?

bazzaw

We have done a six week cruise on Oriana and really loved her. Her design is a little "old fashioned" - but we prefer it to newer designs we have been on (Arcadia, QE,QV - all Vista class). You really get the feel of being at sea on a ship on her - compared to the more recent "blocks of apartments" designs.

Anyway - Aurora often comes over here (Australia) and I would like to try her out, but would hate to be disappointed after our very good experience with Oriana .

Anybody like to comment on the two ships please - and in particular, if you like Aurora better - why?? :D

Thanks

Barry

Oriana and Aorora are very similar. The main differences are on the pool deck and the promenade deck.

Oriana has two open pools separated by a covered area which accomodates the sports court on the deck above. Aurora has one open pool and one covered by a retractable roof, the mechanism for which occupies the area taken by the sports court on Oriana. The sports court on Aurora is to the rear of the pools.

On the promenade deck Oriana had a corridor along the port side, with individual bars and lounges opening onto it. Aurora is more open plan, with walkways winding through some lounges. This does not really work for Champions, in which the only seats at the bar are effectively in a corridor and there is no standing area.

Cabins are almost identical.

Sorry to have to say, but I much prefer Oriana

We are hoping to do Oriana next year, been on Aurora 3 times. Looking at pictures posted of Oriana she does look very similar, except as been posted with the covered pool area.

I would say if you prefer the Ship shaped ships,rather than block of flats type ships, you would like Aurora.

I am led to believe they both ride the seas well.

Of the two we prefer Aurora although either is acceptable.

The benefits of Aurora are.

1. Electric motor drive rather than direct drive so you dont get the vibration at the stern.

2. Aurora has the Cafe Bordeaux, which is good for late night snacks and hot chocolate and good daytime menu.

3. Sliding roof over one of the swimming pools makes it all weather.

Brian

As many have said, there's not too much difference between Oriana and Aurora. However, as regular cruisers on P & O and Cunard we do have a great affection for Oriana. The dance-floor is better than Aurora's, as, in our opinion, are the Crow's Nest and Andersons. The Oriana theatre is also excellent, better than the theatre on the QM2, and the whole ship somehow has a spotless and friendly atmosphere. On the longer section cruises Oriana has a faithful and experienced clientele and the formal nights are usually just that.

However, we've had enjoyable cruises on Aurora but I understand that it is to be refurbished later this year so it may be advisable to try it after the refurbishment is done.

1. Electric motor drive rather than direct drive so you dont get the vibration at the stern.

Yes -- we are VERY familiar with Oriana's vibrations!! :D

On Oriana, I liked the way you could go out onto the outside open promenade deck directly from Lord's Tavern. It made for some very enjoyable "happy hours" outside - the bar stewards could get to us easily. :D

Barry

As many have said, there's not too much difference between Oriana and Aurora. However, as regular cruisers on P & O and Cunard we do have a great affection for Oriana. The dance-floor is better than Aurora's, as, in our opinion, are the Crow's Nest and Andersons. The Oriana theatre is also excellent, better than the theatre on the QM2, and the whole ship somehow has a spotless and friendly atmosphere. On the longer section cruises Oriana has a faithful and experienced clientele and the formal nights are usually just that.

However, we've had enjoyable cruises on Aurora but I understand that it is to be refurbished later this year so it may be advisable to try it after the refurbishment is done.

Our favourites so far have been QM2, Oriana and (believe it or not) an old ship called Pacific Star ( no longer part of the P&O AUS fleet - gone to Pulmantor) . These 3 are all "proper" ships - wasn't particularly fond of the 3 Vista class we have been on - Arcadia , QV and QE (all floating blocks of apartments). Have just been on RCI Voyager of the Seas -- very impressed by her , although she is neither a "proper" ship, nor a floating block of apartments , more like a Las Vegas hotel at sea!! :D Very sturdy ship though!!! - rides like a train on tracks.

Barry

I haven't been on either, but doing Oriana in September for 17 days. We have asked for the Peninsular restaurant to avoid the vibration. Can anyone tell me how Al Fresco works? Is it a supplement to eat there in the evening. Can you get breakfast there?

Lots of similarities though as others have said Aurora doesn't vibrate as much. They both ride well in bad weather. Aurora has more standard balcony cabins if that's a consideration; the only balconies on Oriana are the deluxe ones which are expensive. They both look like "proper ships".

Aurora can be "unlucky"; she has broken down several times. (like a Friday afternoon car). I often blame myself for that as in 2003 I was photographed coming down the gangway wearing a Titanic tshirt at one port. The way the photo turned out, all you could see were the words "White Star Line" and underneath that a life ring with the word "Aurora" on it; thus reassigning the ship to the ill fated line!

I bought the photo quickly before staff could realise what message it carried and withdraw it!

Of the two I prefer Oriana but I dislike covered pools and the resultant chlorine smell. Aurora is more boxy where Oriana has flowing curves - especially in the atrium where Aurora has a peculiar dead end by the emporium. Otherwise the two are IMO the best ships in the P&O fleet. BTW Al Frescos was updated in her last refit and is great for a quick but nicer breakfast than the Conservatory. I've not eaten dinner there. Great cabin storage in both. I don't think the OP would be disappointed with her. The vibration on Oriana is much less since the ducktail was added.

We prefer Aurora of the two. Oriana has a terrible judder, but we did like her anyway, but won't be going on her again because of the judder. Aurora is very similar. She has wonderful lounges to sit in during the day and evening. We love the Crows Nest and the general feel of her. Her decoration is very traditional. Give her a try I am sure you will love her.

Can't comment on Oriana, but sailed on Aurora last year and loved her. Found her spacious yet homely. We'd been on Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas the previous year - much more glitzy. Surprisingly my teenage daughter preferred Aurora. Also interested to read, Bazzaw, that you think Voyager is stable - we had a slight swell in the Adriatic and the lurching motion was very noticeable, especially in the theatre area where we were at the time, whereas we came through the North Sea in a Force 8 in Aurora and felt barely a thing. Aurora's greatest asset, however, IMHO, is Captain Neil Turnbull, when he's on board. A lovely man who genuinely likes his passengers, makes himself available to them (he was always somewhere about the ship) and is liked and respected by the crew (we know, 'cos we asked!).

Al Fresco is open 24 hours so you can go for breakfast. Have only been there late evening as it looks too much like a greasy spoon cafe.

Brian

Now, I think the second sentence is both unfair and untrue. We found Al Fresco (2 years ago though) to be one of the delights of Oriana . We only used it for lunch however - but it made a pleasant change from the "formality" of the dining room and the staff canteen character of the buffet. :) It is probably best for when you only want a light lunch -- some pizza perhaps, soup and bread, or maybe a salad.

Barry

Of the two I prefer Oriana but I dislike covered pools and the resultant chlorine smell. . The vibration on Oriana is much less since the ducktail was added.

Re the covered pools -- I was not keen on Arcadia for that very reason - and thanks for the info about the effect of the new ducktail.

Barry

Now, I think the second sentence is both unfair and untrue. We found Al Fresco (2 years ago though) to be one of the delights of Oriana . We only used it for lunch however - but it made a pleasant change from the "formality" of the dining room and the staff canteen character of the buffet. :) It is probably best for when you only want a light lunch -- some pizza perhaps, soup and bread, or maybe a salad.

Barry

What is now Al Fresco was originally an aerobics studio. It then became a pizza parlour open throughout the day and early evening before ultimately becoming a 24 hour dining venue.

Archived