How formal is formal on RC?

ripjerry95

Hi Newbie to RC and in the planning stages of a January 2014 cruise. I am just wondering how formal "formal night" is on RC ships? Could my husband get away with wearing chinos and a dressy Hawaiian shirt and dress shoes? He does not like wearing a tie if he doesn't have to. We are used to NCL and Carnival that are more lax about what is considered formal. Thanks, Kim

There is a large spectrum on formal attire. There are some in nice shirts and slacks and those, like my husband and myself who go all out wearing tux and evening gowns. I have noticed that passengers on RCCL do dress up more than on Carnival.

No one is going to turn you away, but generally people do wear a tie. Many (me included) wear Tuxes, many wear dark suits. But a nice collared shirt and slacks are also seen. A hawaiian shirt and chinos may be a bit more casual and less seen. Depends if he gives a darn if he is underdressed. Many don't. I've seen "cammies" on Formal Night (ok...on Carnival, but saw it).

Hi Newbie to RC and in the planning stages of a January 2014 cruise. I am just wondering how formal "formal night" is on RC ships? Could my husband get away with wearing chinos and a dressy Hawaiian shirt and dress shoes? He does not like wearing a tie if he doesn't have to. We are used to NCL and Carnival that are more lax about what is considered formal. Thanks, Kim

Yes, he could get away with it. The 'dress code' is suggested by RCI and not the rule.

I think length of the cruise also determines how formal the dress. We have been on 7 night cruises and most people really dress up, the last one on the five night cruise, not so many people bothered to dress for formal night.

Even on the seven night cruises, there are all types from jeans to tuxes, capri pant/blouse to full length formal gowns.

I usually wear silk palazzo pants and a sparkly top because they pack easily and DH opts for a dark suit. We've had tablemates in tuxes and full ball gowns and also Sunday church wear. Haven't yet encountered a Hawaiian shirt as yet but in response to your question, he will not be turned away from the dining room if that's all you are concerned with.

Guest maddycat

We cruise on 9 or 11 night cruises. My husband doesn't like to dress up so he no longer wears a suit and tie. He wears a long sleeve dress shirt and dress slacks. He doesn't look or feel out of place. Usually there are some Tuxes, many dark suits and the rest either sports jackets, ties and dress slacks or those who choose to dress as my husband does.

Archived