Le Bistro

nomie

Absolutely: we have eaten in 6 Le Bistros and with one exception found the food to be outstanding as well as the best service we have ever had. It beats Celebrity's alternative dining and certainly Carnivals. Would we choose to eat there 3 or 4 times per 7 day cruise? Not likely as we are paying for meals as well as other things on a cruise, but I wouldn't think of cruising without having one meal at Le Bistros. Be sure and order the Escagot, the muxhroom soup and a yummy dessert!!!

Absolutely: we have eaten in 6 Le Bistros and with one exception found the food to be outstanding as well as the best service we have ever had. It beats Celebrity's alternative dining and certainly Carnivals. Would we choose to eat there 3 or 4 times per 7 day cruise? Not likely as we are paying for meals as well as other things on a cruise, but I wouldn't think of cruising without having one meal at Le Bistros. Be sure and order the Escagot, the muxhroom soup and a yummy dessert!!!

You just hit all my favorites! Along with these, I like their fresh tossed (by waitstaff) caesar salad, french onion soup (runner up to the Forest Mushroom served in a bread bowl), and just about any entree. It's our favorite restaurant, maybe anywhere, though the menu is limited because of being on a ship. The service is outstanding, and the presentation is terrific. Their waitstaff is outstanding, and very personable. Go there when you are not rushed, it can take awhile if you want to really soak up the atmosphere. If you could use seconds on the fruit for the fondue, go for it!!!

We usually eat there twice, and have been on 4 cruises with NCL.

If I could make a suggestion, order the Honeymoon/Anniversary package I believe that you have to order before you leave I think about 2-3 weeks

For $79 you receive a bottle of wine and strawberries in your room when you embark (waiting for you) canapes in your room one night, wine and cake party ( did not do this) a keepsake photograph (we took a recit toward other photos and the cover charge and a bottle of wine (credit I think around $19.)

my girlfriend and I had this, it was 10th anniversary of dating and did not pay anything for dinner and I also agree the chocolate fondue was fantisic. I had the cheese cake since we were advised the fondue was ony enough for one The GF could not finish the fondue so I was forced to help her

Can you order more than one appetizer and entree like the regular restaurants?

You can order as many apps, salad or soups, and desserts as you want, but if you order 2 entrees, you will be charged a 2nd cover charge, depending on what you order (surf & turf - an extra $20, sea bass - an extra $15, I think). We asked b/c we hadnt eaten all day before going and my BF thought the surf & turf wouldnt be enough to fill him. The waitress advised to see if he was still hungry 1/2 way thru and if he was she would put in a 2nd order for him...he was too stuffed!!! The mushroom soup, caesar salad, and surf & turf are EXCELLENT!! Definitely worth the price to visit at least once on your cruise! I think the anniversary package sounds like the way to go though! A good deal! We will probably do that next time! Have a great trip!! :)

A friend ordered this (it was a combo beef, veal and pork if I recall). It came out on a large wrought iron contraption and they set it ablaze. It was quite a surprise. I took a picture it was so interesting. There was so much food on it, she would not have ordered it had she known. If you have a big appetite, go for it!

I ate there last week! It was definately my favorite for both food and service. I had the fillet mignon and it was excellent. My dh and Dad had the strawberry flambe (sp?) and that was our favorite dessert through the whole trip. We had Ricky as our waiter and he was the best service we had throughout our trip as well. We got seated in the private room in the back which was very nice...window view etc. Definately pay the money!!!!!

Well you are sure making me hungry. The menu looks fabulous and I can't wait for our next cruise so we can try it. It sure does sound like it's worth the extra $$. I love how they recommend the wine to accompany the meal right on the menu. I always take so long deciding on what wine I want. This is definitely a nice little touch. Does anyone know if you can make dining reservations for the specialty restaurants on the Dawn before embarkation, or do we need to wait until we board? Wouldn't want to miss out on this diamond of a dining experience, that's for sure!

From reading this post it seems to me that the $20 charge is for anything on the menu once and a few things twice if wanted... Is that true? Is the wine included ( I am sure it is not but)

I have read that if you eat there on the first night you get a price break... Is that true? How should you dress for Le Bistro?

Do you pay extra for a special table next to the window?

Finally... some confusion to me ...I have read here on CC that the charge for eating at Le Bistro, etc is for the special service not the food?.. If that is true :) then why do you pay twice for a second entree? We will eat there at least once as it sounds really nice...

:) Hi nomie!!! I was just on the Dawn in April, Le Bistro was a $15.00pp charge, it was DELICIOUS!!! I have four words for you:

CHOCOLATE AND FRUIT FONDUE!!!!!;) ;)

Just that alone makes dining in Le Bistro worth every penny!!! I do believe that when you first board the Dawn, in the lobby there is a sign up for 1/2 OFF dinners at the speciality restaurants, I think for the first two days of the cruise, check it out, I didn't pay attention that first day when we were wondering around...But, I will take advantage of it when I cruise on the Dawn again in February. :)

TTFN

Suesan:)

Checkmate1955, the wine is not included. No extra charge for being seated next to a window. Just ask if they can accommodate you.

WeBeCruis'n, you cannot make reservations for any of the specialty restaurants before boarding.

Thanks for the reply.... I was really counting on the free wine!:p Do they ever have the surf and turf at Le Bistro ...? :) The menu (cover charge cost indicated at $12.50) that is posted above did not have surf and turf... or does the menu change each night?

I'm assuming, by reading this, all the NCL ships have a Le Bistro. Is that correct? On the formal optional night, is this restaurant considered formal or not?

Also, on the anniversary/honeymoon package, how do you book this ahead of time - just calling NCL?

This sounds really, really good. On the formal night, our big group will be split into different groups, but the rest of the nights - we're all going to be eating together. Can you do the Captain's cocktail party and still do dinner at Le Bistro?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I understand.

I'm assuming, by reading this, all the NCL ships have a Le Bistro. Is that correct? On the formal optional night, is this restaurant considered formal or not?

Also, on the anniversary/honeymoon package, how do you book this ahead of time - just calling NCL?

This sounds really, really good. On the formal night, our big group will be split into different groups, but the rest of the nights - we're all going to be eating together. Can you do the Captain's cocktail party and still do dinner at Le Bistro?

Yes, all NCL ships have Le Bistro. It's their signature alternative restaurant. On the optional formal night, to my knowledge Le Bistro has never been designated formal. They only do that to one of the main dining rooms, which means that "resort casual" is still perfectly acceptable in Le Bistro. That said, many people do dress up somewhat in an attempt to make the experience more special. It's up to you. You'll be fine either way.

Yes, you can book the packages directly thru NCL at 1-800-392-3472.

Yes, you can definitely attend the Captain's cocktail party and still do dinner at Le Bistro. Just book a reservation that allows time for both.

Another small detail about Le Bistro reservations. Usually non-suite passengers can make reservations for the specialty restaurants for that night, or the next night...no furter into the future than that. We got the Anniversary package for my in-laws on the Star last year. This includes dinner at Le Bistro. They were able to make the reservations for any night they wanted throughout the week since they had this package.

Julie, on the Star in March, they allowed us to book the alternative restaurants for the entire cruise. There was no same-day or 24-hr restriction. I think I've also read that recent Dawn cruisers were able to book the entire week. However, I don't know if this is a fleetwide change.

The price of LeBistro is $15 unless you order the Surf 'n'Turf. Then I believe it is $20. There is no half price night at LeBistro. There are half-price nights, if you go to dinner from 5:30-6:30 at Soho. I agree that the romance package for $79 is a good deal. It's nice to have Sparkling Wine and chocolate covered strawberries on arrival. The canapes were good and although we didn't go to the Champagne/cake party, when we left LeBistro, they sent a cake to our room. If you get this package, you do have an allowance towards wine with dinner. We ordered a bottle of wine which was not above the allowance. I loved the mushroom soup, the filet and the fondue.

If you go on a night other than the formal night, a nice golf shirt and dress pants is acceptable attire. It's really a great place to have dinner and worth the money. We did this on the Star a few weeks ago, and we were very pleased.

Katie

Julie, on the Star in March, they allowed us to book the alternative restaurants for the entire cruise. There was no same-day or 24-hr restriction. I think I've also read that recent Dawn cruisers were able to book the entire week. However, I don't know if this is a fleetwide change.

Sounds nice!

The price of LeBistro is $15 unless you order the Surf 'n'Turf. Then I believe it is $20. There is no half price night at LeBistro.

Katie

Yours is the first post I've read that says there are no half price nights at LeBistro. Is this so?

Archived