New Mandatory Tipping Policy

itsnowjoke

And arriving very late to the party ;)

My apologies. I just recieved the email from RCCL regarding this new policy this morning. I wasn't aware that it had already been discussed ad nauseam.

This is pretty much the story of my life: always late to the party, but what an entrance, huh?:eek: ;)

I don't know the percentage of people who don't tip or tip less than the suggested amounts, but my guess is that it's higher than many people believe. I have personally seen people spend all their money on the cruise with drinks, pictures etc. and have nothing left for tips.

I have also read posts on here where families felt tipping for their kids was too much and had no intention of paying the tips or tipping the full amount for them even though they used the cabin, ate the food etc.

I am one who is glad that the tips are going to be added to the SeaPass so those who are cheap now will be paying at least the requested amounts.

I do believe if there is something wrong with the service, the cruise line should be told so that the problem can be fixed and if not that some of the tip can be removed. I don't believe that tips should be given for poor service, but in the cases I mentioned, that hasn't been the case.

I agree. I like that it is now on the seapass. I do MTD so I am actually already pre-paid. In any event, I would rather just have them call it a service fee, or work it back into the cost of the cruise. I know that is not going to happen because people shop based on the quoted price, and not the price after everything is added in.

I wonder if anyone else has had the same experience that I did? My wife and I cruised on rccl with my 2 year old son in 2011. I am looking to book a cruise for this fall, we now have a beautiful daughter that will be 15 months old, and my son will be 4 years old when we sail.

My concern with the new "mandatory tipping", is that we found the stateroom attendant did very little because we were traveling with a toddler. They would make the bed, but wouldn't touch the "pack-n-play". The only thing extra they did, was leave extra sheets and blankets on our bed.

While I felt that rccl did an excellent job of making sure my little man had a great time, the people that went above and beyond for us and him had nothing to do with my stateroom; I feel if I should pay an extra $12.00 a day, it should go to the amazing staff that handle the children's programs. If not all, at least a portion.

I laugh to myself every time a thread on this topic comes up. It's always the people who will spend thousands on a cruise and complain about the tip. If you consider what your full course meal for dinner, plus breakfast and lunch would cost you in tips at home (even if you only tip 15%), you should not complain about the $5.00 or so that the asst waiter and head waiter are getting from you a day. Same with the room steward.

The worst service I have ever received was on another line that had mandatory tips and free style dining. Our room was filthy, towels weren't replaced, trash from the last cruise was above the vanity for 3-4 days into the cruise, sand all over the closet floor (we didn't go to the beach), etc. The dining experience was terrible. We went down to eat at 5:30 to get a seat every night. Food was cold and the service was worse. We were lucky to get out by 8:30 (with crowds waiting to get in). The waiter knew that he got his tips regardless of how fast he worked (I ate nothing fancy - usually a hamburger). We cleared our own tables in the buffet (as did many others - leaving a pile of plates and garbage on various tables) so we could eat there. So part of me cringes at the thought of mandatory tipping. We always tip (and had to find envelopes for our last cruise to include a little extra).

On the otherhand, we know someone who has been on numerous trips and never tipped a dime. This individual has plenty of money, but he feels that these people signed on for agreed wages and it's not up to him to supplement their income. He doesn't tip, period.

As long as RCI can deliver the same quality of service, with the automatic tips, I'll be happy. Hopefully, the mindset won't slip to the "I'm getting the gratuity, regardless of my service", level.

Archived