Looking for a list of handy things to bring to make my cruise easier...

uscgwife

Hi,

I am a super planner and looking for a list or ideas of handy things to bring with me to make my cruise a little easier.

Such as:

things to bring to maximize space in the stateroom and bathroom

handy things I would never think of to bring.

Thank you.

I am super organized as well, I wrote down so many great ideas before our first cruise. A couple that immediately come to mind;

Clothes pins - if you have a balcony you can clothes pin bsuits/toels etc to your chair and they won't blow away.

Reusable Water Bottle - I bought at the $store and are BPA free. Great for taking ship water on excursions and because they are from $store not a big deal if i have bought too much and have to leave behind:). Also have used for OJ which is free at breakfast, I have filled and taken back to the room for later.

Travel Clock - Cell phones change based on time zone not they don't stay on ships time.

Extra Coat Hangers- I always over pack :o

Travel Size Toiltetries- I save the shampoo etc from hotels and they use when travelling, saves packing big bottles etc.

Just a few off the top of my head. I am sure there will be lots more:)

I am super organized as well, I wrote down so many great ideas before our first cruise. A couple that immediately come to mind;

Clothes pins - if you have a balcony you can clothes pin bsuits/toels etc to your chair and they won't blow away.

Reusable Water Bottle - I bought at the $store and are BPA free. Great for taking ship water on excursions and because they are from $store not a big deal if i have bought too much and have to leave behind:). Also have used for OJ which is free at breakfast, I have filled and taken back to the room for later.

Travel Clock - Cell phones change based on time zone not they don't stay on ships time.

Extra Coat Hangers- I always over pack :o

Travel Size Toiltetries- I save the shampoo etc from hotels and they use when travelling, saves packing big bottles etc.

Just a few off the top of my head. I am sure there will be lots more:)

All great ideas. I have a list I have compiled from CC threads here and there. Will post later.

~Bob~

Your own OTC meds, I.e. Advil, pepto, etc.

Bring your sunscreen lotion from home.

Pack 1/2 as many clothes as you think.

Yellow note pad stickies and pen for leaving cabin steward notes or other guest you are traveling with who are in other cabins, stick it on their door ... At the pool

Paper backs, iPad, kindle if you like to read

Sun glasses and flip flops

Here is a link to Calgons ultimate packing list. I always print it out and check what I want to take. It is very thorough.

http://reocities.com/calgon1/Ultimate_Packing_List.html

There are a couple links to either a warm or cold weather cruise. Select them for the very extensive list.

My suggestion to you is, " Take more money, take less clothes". You'll never go wrong.

Enjoy

collapsible hamper(dollar store) for dirty clothes- keeps them neat

power strip for cameras, battery chargers, phone(if you use it)

small trays(dollar store) great for emptying pockets and storing your sea pass card at night

nightlight/flashlight (inside cabins are dark in the middle of the day too!)

post-it notes. great for leaving messages on the Mirror and door

I have a over the door shoe holder I put on the bathroom door. Even in the Jr Suites I like a little more space to organize things. I have given this to several room attendants over time, women more than men, who love them. I also keep sample size bottles of shampoo/conditioner, bath wash as I don't like the ones in the rooms sometimes, pluse toothpaste. I have found flashlights that run on solar for $9 at a local consignment store, necessary after the 2nd Carnival fire. And a small/sample size of dish soap or laundry detergent to wash out undies or something that gets dirty but I want to wear again. Thus less clothes needed! Magnets also are helpful since the doors and walls are metal!;)

I bought an over the door clear shoe organizer that held all of our toiletries, it was very nice to have all the bottles and lotions hung up and out of the way on the bathroom door. Towel clips from bed, bath & beyond were also a great idea, it helps you spot your friends on the deck as much as hold your towel in place in the wind. Please do not use a lanyard unless you are a child under 8 or over 70. Sorry.

If you get a lanyard try and get one that breaks under a fair bit of pressure as a friend of mine nearly got her head taken off as her lanyard with her seapass card got caught on something and it didn't snap open.:eek:

We always bring a small white noise machine....it really helps cut down the hallway noise and if there are 2-3-4 people in a room, you don't hear the snoring, bathroom breaks, etc. It works great.

I also recommend multiple chargers - battery, ipod, kindle, etc.

If you're a blended family, make sure you're traveling with a letter from the children's mom or dad. Just a short letter saying they give you permission to travel from (dates) and where you're traveling to/from. You'll be glad you have it if/when you're asked for it from customs!! I wish they asked more often for these types of letters, it makes me feel that my kids are safer when I know they ask for it.

Crystal light singles - great for adding to water for a different taste.

Various levels of SPF for your sunscreen. One day you may be okay with a 30 but if you get too burnt, you'll want a 60 on it the next day :eek:

Extra travel insurance....its cheap and you'll be glad you have it, even if you have coverage already through your workplace.

FaceTime for iPhone/iPad....this works amazing when in port at a pub or restaurant that has WiFi. Was a fun way for me and my kids to stay in touch with family back home and its FREE!!!

Ziplock bags - big ones. Pack extra and you won't be sorry....I love these things!!

Bring a couple extra fold up carry bags - the recycled ones that you can use for grocery shopping. My kids always have extra stuff they bring off the ship from kids club, etc and its an easy way to have them carry their own 'goodies'.

Pillowcase - if you or your kids have a favourite textured pillow, bring the case only and slip it over the one provided in the room. Make sure the cabin steward knows it is YOURS that way they won't accidentally remove it to wash it.

So many other great ideas - these are just a few we've found helpful in the past.

Have fun!!

I always bring a couple of antibactarial wet wipes in a baggy and then wipe down the remote, door handles, safe door and table tops before we unpack. I know they clean but hey in over 25 cruises we have not had the norovirus. I also bring my favorite bar soap from home. Don't care to use the shower gel that's provided all week. We also have beach safes which go on a string that you can wear in the water to hold your seapass card at the beach, not always waterproof however.

Archived