Splendor from New York

swim25

I'm ready to book the Splendor out of New York for our first cruise in June. Does anybody know what side of the ship is closest to the dock for sail away and which side is best to see the Statue of Liberty when leaving.

Sherman

I'm ready to book the Splendor out of New York for our first cruise in June. Does anybody know what side of the ship is closest to the dock for sail away and which side is best to see the Statue of Liberty when leaving.

Sherman

Starboard side will pass the statue of liberty when leaving NYC...not really sure what you mean about the other question...if you mean what side is she docked on when you board, it may depend on what pier she is docked at but we have sailed many times out of NYC and the Starboard side has always been the side at the dock that we board on...

As you cruise down the Hudson river, New York City will be on the left facing the bow. The Statue of Liberty will be on the right. If this is your first cruise out of NYC, I recommend that you go up to the highest deck, so you can see everything. You don't want to miss going under the Verazzano Bridge. It's the grand finale! I live near NYC and have done this a number of times. It never gets old.

We usually try to get a balcony on the NYC side. We start sail away on our balcony, then go up on deck to catch the Statue of Liberty, the Staten Island ferry and the Bridge.

If you are booking the June 10th cruise, come join our role call.

I'm also going to book a balcony cabin. So if I book a cabin on the right (starboard side) I will be able to watch her leaving the dock and also see us sale past the Statue of Liberty. If I book a cabin on the left (port) side we can watch us sailing past the city.

Would there be enough time to watch us sale past the Statue of Liberty from the balcony and then go up to a upper deck to see the pass under the bridge.

My only option for cabins on the starboard side are 6433,6439 & 6441 on Deck 6.

I have been to Boston twice but have never been to NYC so this Canadian is looking forward to seeing the ship sailing past the statue of Liberty and going under that bridge.

I have to wait until my son gets out of school for the summer so I will be booking the June 26th sailing. It has the same itinerary as yours.

Sherman

Starboard Side (Right Side Of The Ship When Your Facing The Front) Is The Side You Will See The Statue Of Liberty When Sailing Out. If Your Asking What Side Of The Ship Faces The Dock When It's Parked In The Port... That Depends If The Ship Docks In Pier 88 Or Pier 90 Which Can Never Be Really Determined. Depends If Other Ships Are There... Or Whatever Reason We May Not Know... Port Reasons, Cruise Line Reasons Who Knows.

We've sailed from NY 8 times (6 Canada, 2 Caribbean) and had cabins on both sides. Twice with an aft wrap.:D First, I recommend that if sailaway from NYC is important to you, book anytime or late dining. It's not so much an issue with 4:00 sailing times, but you run the risk of sailing under the bridge just at the time you're supposed to be in the dining room.

Port side: Great views of Manhattan, the Battery, and the bridges up the East River. Starboard side: The NJ side is no slouch.:) Views of the Erie Lackawanna and Jersey Central Railroad terminals (the former is a current commuter hub, the latter a terminus for the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island), Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.

Going under the Verazzano: Go up to one of the highest decks to experience sailing under the bridge. Take a look at http://www.nyharborwebcam.com/. This is harbor webcam right near the bridge.

Anywhere on the top deck is the place to be! YOu can see both the nj side and the nyc side from the top deck - and both are great. I live and work in nyc and still love the view when leaving the city --- we usually go to the top deck towards the front of the ship - then you don't have to choose!

PAssing under the verranzanno is always fun!

We booked Starboard side on the Breakway. I figured we would still be in our cabin at sailaway and can always look out or sit on the balcony and watch the Statue of Liberty sail past, then go up to the top deck to watch us go under the Bridge.

Someone said going under the bridge is about 15 minutes once you past Lady Liberty?

I then figured upon return from the cruise, pulling into the Hudson, early morning, would love to sit out on the balcony and look at the Manhattan skyline and watch New York wake up with the sunrise.

It's been mentioned already, but it definitely bears repeating : after you have gotten good looks at the cityscape and Lady Liberty, go up to the highest spot on the ship you can, and wait for the thrill of passing under the Verrazano-Narrows bridge. It's incredible; it will appear as though the ship isn't going to fit underneath it, and you will be pleasantly surprised when it does :D It's awesome!

We had a cabin when we sailed from NY but didn't want to miss anything so went up to the upper decks to get the best views on all sides. You won't want to miss anything so best not to stay in your cabin. Besides, it took them a few hours to get our luggage all sorted so there was nothing much to do in the cabin at that time anyway :)

AGREED! it is incredible ---

is really the best from top deck!!

It's been mentioned already, but it definitely bears repeating : after you have gotten good looks at the cityscape and Lady Liberty, go up to the highest spot on the ship you can, and wait for the thrill of passing under the Verrazano-Narrows bridge. It's incredible; it will appear as though the ship isn't going to fit underneath it, and you will be pleasantly surprised when it does :D It's awesome!

Sherman

Congratulations.

We are booked on the Splendor out of NYC in October and we booked an aft facing balcony and now I'm torn where I want to be when we sail away. Last cruise out of NYC we were on the top deck to watch everything, which was awesome--- but I'm sure the view from the balcony will be fantastic when we sail away! Glad I have a few months still to decide!! :D

We are booked on the Splendor out of NYC in October and we booked an aft facing balcony and now I'm torn where I want to be when we sail away. Last cruise out of NYC we were on the top deck to watch everything, which was awesome--- but I'm sure the view from the balcony will be fantastic when we sail away! Glad I have a few months still to decide!! :D

Dont see how you could lose no matter where you hang out during sailaway.

We booked Starboard side on the Breakway. I figured we would still be in our cabin at sailaway and can always look out or sit on the balcony and watch the Statue of Liberty sail past, then go up to the top deck to watch us go under the Bridge.

I saw the commercial. I think the Statue actually sails with you.

Sailing down the Hudson past the skyscrapers of NYC is IMHO, one of the best American sailaways one could experience - try not to miss any of it!

I soooo AGREE!

Here's a map of where the Statue is in the harbor http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=statue+of+liberty&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89c25088d7c91bdf:0x8cc7a46e99530c7a,Statue+of+Liberty,+Brooklyn,+NY+11231&gl=us&sa=X&ei=btsvUb-8JKrq0AGVvYCYAw&ved=0CEYQ8gEwAg

It's down in the harbor not in the river. It's really opposite Brooklyn and almost at the Bridge. You really have plenty of time. If you book on the Statue/right/starboard side and stay in your cabin you will miss the whole NY skyline experience. If you book on the skyline/port/left side, you can stay on your balcony almost down to the new Freedom Tower/WTC site, then go up on deck. But as I wrote before, if it's your first time, you don't want to miss a thing - go up on deck for the whole sail away. Take a camera an an extra memory card - you'll need it.

I have some pics but the are on my desktop PC and I'm on my tablet. I'll try to post them tomorrow. Oh and someone mentioned dinner - if you have early seating you're going to miss dinner or the Bridge experience.

• 4 months later...

Archived