Increased Price of Cagney's

logan25

Dear Cruise Critic Members,

In our ongoing efforts to continue to improve our specialty restaurants, we are in the process of making enhancements to the menu at Cagney’s and therefore the new cover charge will be $30 per person. The new charge will begin rolling out to the fleet on April 13 starting with Norwegian Epic. We hope our guests will enjoy the new menu offerings as they continue to receive an extraordinary dining experience in our fleet-wide steakhouse.

Best,

Norwegian Cruise Line Public Relations team

Thanks for posting NCL...it helps to have accurate info....as CC members do like official answers to our questions....please keep monitoring the board and post as needed on items that come up...I ,for one,appreciate it very much..."knowledge is power"...:)

I wonder why the package price went up to $57 on the March 30 sailing of the Epic when Cagney's will not yet have changed...?

I wish I had booked the package last week when I was still trying to decide. With only $3/person in savings now, I won't book it. I would not have chosen the Italian outside of the package as we can get Italian so easily at home but when the package was $52, to me that was like paying only $7 for the Italian which was more worth it to me. I know that for two of us the new price is only $10 more but it is enough of an increase that we'll pass. We will still hit up Le Bistro. I understand why prices go up and respect their decision but it just means that I will actually spend less on the ship. We also felt that the raised prices for Cirque made that too expensive for what you get, at least for us. I actually felt it wasn't a good value for us before the price change but we were still considering it, I'm sure for some people it was and still is a good value.

If I ever wondered whether Norwegian reads Cruise Critic, I wonder no more.

Now for the official, official answer to my husband's question. Can he order more than one entree at Cagney's for one surcharge??

Norwegian??

Screwed up the reply to post part.... meant to reply to Time2cruise1

La Cucina was my worst meal of the cruise. Better rigatoni at the buffet. Prefer the bread sticks rather than the new loaf of bread too. Can get better calamari at the frozen food isle. But glad you like it. IMO, it was a cost savings menu. Almost my first "bad" meal at sea. Not worth $15. Had better rigatoni at the Sky buffet.

Also, while the meal was just as delicious at Shanghais, the portion was half of what it was 2 years ago. NCL now charging for soda refills in specialty restaurants too. The list goes on and on. I see the prices keep going up but the quality and portions getting smaller and smaller.

But I am not faulting NCL for this. This is happening in my favorite restaurants all over town. Food prices are through the roof.

Screwed up the reply to post part.... meant to reply to Time2cruise1

La Cucina was my worst meal of the cruise. Better rigatoni at the buffet. Prefer the bread sticks rather than the new loaf of bread too. Can get better calamari at the frozen food isle. But glad you like it. IMO, it was a cost savings menu. Almost my first "bad" meal at sea. Not worth $15. Had better rigatoni at the Sky buffet.

Also, while the meal was just as delicious at Shanghais, the portion was half of what it was 2 years ago. NCL now charging for soda refills in specialty restaurants too. The list goes on and on. I see the prices keep going up but the quality and portions getting smaller and smaller.

But I am not faulting NCL for this. This is happening in my favorite restaurants all over town. Food prices are through the roof.

The beauty of Cruise Critic different views on the same thing. I will say the rigatoni would be perhaps my last choice from this new menu attached:

Italian.pdf

The beauty of Cruise Critic different views on the same thing. I will say the rigatoni would be perhaps my last choice from this new menu attached:

Wonder if that's lobster or "lobster".

Recent news, last few weeks, tells of beef prices rapidly increasing. A huge number of feed lots in the US are closed or are for sale because of recent droughts and the super high price of corn used for cattle feed. The price of hamburger in the grocery last week was unbelievable. Guess Cagneys is going to have to adjust prices accordingly since steak is their specialty.

Everything is going up but alas no raise in my or DH's pay, so Cagney's will not be seeing us. Already booked the cruise and paying that off but the MDR's will be just fine!

$30 is just overkill...

In our ongoing efforts to continue to improve our specialty restaurants, we are in the process of making enhancements to the menu at Cagney’s and therefore the new cover charge will be $30 per person. The new charge will begin rolling out to the fleet on April 13 starting with Norwegian Epic. We hope our guests will enjoy the new menu offerings as they continue to receive an extraordinary dining experience in our fleet-wide steakhouse.

Best,

Thank you for clarifying. I'll look forward to trying the new menu. :)

Thanks for posting NCL...it helps to have accurate info....as CC members do like official answers to our questions....please keep monitoring the board and post as needed on items that come up...I ,for one,appreciate it very much..."knowledge is power"...:)

Can we get a Q & A with the NCL poster???

Best,

Thanks for replying!

Best,

I will gladly pay $5 more pp for a new menu and better options on the Cagney's menu. I hope the new menu extends to breakfast and lunch as well. Imho, Cagney's is always my favorite, but on the Epic it was not.

I hope to see the new menu on the Gem in May(18th sailing) and with loads of luck the Sky (April 19th sailing).

Cherie

Noticed Osso Bucco is on the menu, is this available every night? It is one of my favorite Italian dishes. Is it good on NCL? I am new to NCL.

I would absolutely pay the $30 if the menu was broadened, the food quality increased and the decor enhanced to make it feel more special.

The last time we had dinner in Cagney's, the steak was mediocre at best. We had far better filets in Le Bistro. I look forward to trying the new Cagney's.

Tracy

Anyone book when they were offering the special... it was something like a bottle of wine two specialty dinners and choc. covered strawberries or something? I did but can't seem to find anything on my bill that states this. If the prices of other restaraunts go up to this could have been a nice little savings :)

Add me to the group who will not be dining at Cagneys. Our last few visits were disappointing to say the least. If our steaks were even "choice" i would have been surprised, commercial more likely. I expect a decent steak and that hasn't been delivered. An upgrade to Prime cuts would go a long way to bringing us back in. Until them, we're done with Cagneys.

The point is - it never used to be that way. I've been cruising since I was 15 years old. Cruising used to be top notch. Top notch everything. It's not anymore. Now you have to pay extra to get an acceptable meal, and that is not cool at all. Even with the speciality dining, it in no way compares to the quality you used to get.

My first cruise in 1991 cost as much as a cruise for me would today. (Actually, it cost quite a lbit more) This is why we all have to pay extra for better meals.

The cost for the Chef's Dinner has gone up as well (To $89 pp)...however, it was worth every flippin' penny.

One thing that was noticeable on our last cruise on the Sun was that although we ate in specialty restaurants, we honestly didn't need to. The food in the mdr was the best we have ever had on any NCL ship (I have only been sailing NCL since 2007)

As for Cagney's...I personally don't think it was ever worth the extra money. We much prefer LeBistro. If with that price increase, came a step up in quality, I would now then dine in Cagney's. I would happily pay $30 extra dollars if the meal is worth it. When the cost was less, the quality didn't seem worth the extra cost to me.

Noticed Osso Bucco is on the menu, is this available every night? It is one of my favorite Italian dishes. Is it good on NCL? I am new to NCL.

It is and everyone loved it. We went back a second night for more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

I had it in La Cucina on Jewel. I've rarely had a bad meal on NCL but this was one of those times.

Thank you, NCL, for posting! Please share the new Cagney's menu with us when it's available.

I agree with the other posters that the filet in Le Bistro is much better than anything I've had at dinner in Cagney's. A close second is the small filet served at breakfast in Cagney's. I usually order that with a plain crab cake and it fills me up to where I rarely have room for lunch. Oh, actually come to think of it, the best meat I had outside of the Chef's Table was the chataubriand at the Jazz Brunch at Le Bistro. I think I spelled that wrong - sorry.

Personally I won't pay the increased charge to Cagney's unless the menu has changed for the better. I will gladly pay the new charge for the Chef's Table. The new menu for the Italian place looks OK-thanks to the poster who shared it! Moderno's is still a great value, so let's all take advantage before we're priced out. It's a meat lover's dream and even the papaya cream dessert was the best I've ever tasted anywhere! That's coming from an incurable chocoholic.

Can't wait until my summer cruise on the Gem!!!

Archived